Drill collar/guide for base pin install

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shotter11

Bearcat
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a drill collar/guide used to drill a hole on a barrel for the set screw on a Belt Mountain base pin? Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Most of us usually install the base pin, screw down the set screw to mark things, remove & LIGHTLY indent the spot with a drill bit.
Or, you can also use a pointed punch pin, (machinist type) to mark the spot. You install the base pin, take the set screw out, slid the correct sized punch pin in the slot, tap it to mark the bbl. Then remove it all, and again, align the bbl in a press & lightly indent to bbl with a rounded depression for the set screw.

You don't need a " hole" for the set screw.

Shotter11

Bearcat
The long story is I have a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt that I shoot 335 grain WLN out of and the base pin jumps. Previous to this I shot 300 grainers, but opted for this gun to be my heavy duty hunting/packing revolver. I switched to the 335 gr. load and my base started to jump.
I purchased a Wolf extra power latch spring and a new latch as the original one was pretty chewed up. I also bought a Belt Mountain #5 Keith style base pin with the hex set screw. I liked the way it looked and thought I wouldn't use the set screw if I didn't have to. I prefer keeping things simple. Especially if I needed to remove the cylinder in the field. The base pin snapped into place and no fitting was required. It jumped out countless times on the next outing.
I then did as you suggested and with the base pin installed, snugged the set screw to the barrel to create a mark. I then removed the pin and dented the barrel with a punch. I drilled a small indentation. All of this done and I ended up with a indentation that did not align exactly with the set screw. It is slightly forward of the set screw. It was not a proud moment for me and the base pin still jumps.
I asked about a drill collar guide to remedy the alignment issue, but part of me says I should send it to a professional and give up amateur smithing.
On a slight aside a friend recently purchased a stock new 45 Colt similar to mine. He liked the heavy 335 gr as well and in his initial load development had his base pin jump several times.

NikA

Buckeye
I'd suggest a small round file to move the indentation back to where you need it if it's not too far off. How'd you fixture for the original drilling? It's nearly impossible to precisely locate even a marked hole on a round surface with excellent work support. Many I know would "cheat" by cutting a small flat with a file or endmill before attempting to locate the hole.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Just filing the small flat in the barrel is all you need. You can remove the improperly located indentation at the same time. Touch up with cold blue.

Finding the pilot drill collar is not hard, but you'd still have to build a jig to hold it in position to your barrel. Not worth the time for one gun.

For future reference, drill your dimple in the barrel with a centering drill (Brownells sells them) but even that's $20, although useful to have around the shop.

Don't over tighten the set screw, the cyl pin can be bent.