RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frustrations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 pm 
Hawkeye

My Spouse Ashley passed away at the end of January; I discovered that a monthly bill form Hartford Insurance was being paid through the "PRISM" app on Ashley's iPhone. As near as I can tell, this was a policy designed or arranged to pay off the loan on the 2012 F-150 Lariat Ashley had purchased in June of 2015 in the event of Ashley's death. I had to sell the truck because I COULD NOT afford the $500/mo payment for the next 2 1/2 years (Ashley took out a 7 year loan to finance the purchase).
Sadly I CAN NOT find the policy/policy number and have been down the road to about 6+ various divisions of Hartford, not to mention Prudential and still no success. I DO KNOW that Hartford was collecting that $28.15 every month since July 2015. Prism of course wont release any details because I do not have Ashley's pass word.
It's really frustrating because the amount owed on the loan when Ashley passed away was about $20,000. The credit Union claimed there was no insurance on the loan, so I assume I was the beneficiary.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Frustrations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:00 pm 
Single-Sixer

As bad as I hate to say it, lawyer, call one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:09 pm 
Blackhawk

I'm guessing that Florida, like most states has a insurance regulation department.
Might be worth some phone calls to them explaining the situation.
They may have some valid suggestions that didn't require spending
money for legal help. There will be bank statements showing the funds
being transferred to Hartford. With these in hand you should be able
to hunt down someone at Hartford.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:33 pm 
Bearcat

I agree with Dave in talking to the state regulators. If you get no satisfaction, ask your state legislator for help lighting a fire with the regulators. Try everything, even the media, before retaining a lawyer. Hope this works out for you.
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:22 pm 

You need a lawyer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:17 pm 
Buckeye

Last edited by RolandDeschain on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 pm 
Buckeye

Perhaps it would be easier to close the account and use a different credit union.

Psalm 14:1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 am 
Single-Sixer

Condolences for your loss.

The lesson learned here is;

Folks as you never know when a loved one's time is up, there should be a paper file, in a fire resistant file cabinet with all the financial information a spouse may need.

Account numbers, types of accounts, passwords, security questions with answers, beneficiary information, last requests, copies of will and attorney info, and any medical information (DNR).

Without a file like this we would have never known my Dad had a burial policy he signed up for back when he was in the Army in 1942.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:18 am 
Hunter

I wish I had some advise for you, but I just want to say I'm sorry for your loss.
Between that and the weather down there, you've had a rough year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:25 pm 
Hawkeye

First: Turn off the phone and keep it off until you have resolution.

With the phone off, the app cannot make the payment. THAT will get them
to contact you to find out why they are not getting "their' payment.

You can also contact the local TV stations and find out which one has a
"trouble shooter" working for them (usually several in any given area) and
see if they will start a piece on the situation. Public notification via TV will
have them coming out of the woodwork to work with you. They NEVER
like to have public opinion going against them.

P.S. and a separate subject: Shoot me a PM on your picture posting
problems. I may have a solution. :wink:

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:34 pm 
Hawkeye

Attorney. I'm sure you have one by now,..

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:42 pm 
Single-Sixer

Why do people think you need a lawyer all the time? Yes they do have a little more pull than most people, but most of them don't know shi* about anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:19 pm 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
rimmer wrote:
Why do people think you need a lawyer all the time? Yes they do have a little more pull than most people, but most of them don't know shi* about anything.

When I need advice on animal health I contact a vet.
When I need advice on field drainage I contact a tiler
When I need advice on the law I contact a lawyer.

A lawyer does have an inside knowledge on contracts which is essentially all an insurance policy is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:30 am 
Single-Sixer

Oooooh I feel for ya! Before dad passed in 2004 him and mom had a trust drawn up. 2015 my only brother passed, then in 2016 mom passed, left me as the only survivor. He had 2 kids so they get to split his 50%, and I have 50%. I was on mom's checkin account, and luckily had transferred her money from IRA's etc to the checkin account, because I couldn't touch anything else after she passed! I had to go to a lawyer to get legally named Trustee of the Trust, signed by a judge. But she had 2 safety deposit boxes in her bank, but I wasn't specifically named as having access to them. Back to the lawyer. We got that fixed, I cleaned out the boxes, withdrew every cent from that bank and transferred to our new bank. (In the midst of all this a tornado had wiped out my wife and I's house, so we were making temporary moves til we could get settled, about 70 miles from there). Recently I was trying to settle an insurance policy she had, but they would only issue a check to the Executor of the Estate, wouldn't accept my Trustee papers. Back to the lawyer. I don't know what happened but a couple weeks later I got a check in the mail....yep, made out to the Estate of... Went to our local bank to deposit in the Trust account, they wouldn't because it wasn't made out to the Trust. GRRRRRR I went to another branch of the bank, and all that was there was a really young girl. She looked up all the records for the Trust and since I was the only one left, and am Trustee, she would deposit it if I would wait a few days to write any checks on it in case the insurance company kicked up a fuss. They didn't say a word so that's all settled. FINALLY!!
Like Selena and some others have said I agree your best bet is to go to your lawyer and let them handle it.
And GOOD LUCK!!!
Condolences for your loss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:31 am 
Hawkeye

The problem with lawyers is that they need feeding, and lots of it!

There IS a time for a lawyer, but it may not be initially in a case like Colonial Girl is citing. As Dave and Roland suggested above, the State Regulatory Agency will be the right place to help identify the existence of a policy. If the policy is identified and the agent won't play, THEN it's time for a lawyer perhaps. But I would let the State regulators advise me as to the right time to secure an attorney, since the regulators are already being paid from your State taxes.

A 20K policy will evaporate PDQ when lawyers get involved at 2 or 3 hundred bucks an hour. It'll probably take a 2K retainer just to get started.

"Even in their least destructive configurations, governing bodies are still blunt-force instruments which are to be used against people against their will. The more power they're allowed to assume, either rightly or wrongly, the more destructive the governing instruments become."

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.