New Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Just picked this Security Six today. My buddy and I saw it at another show a few weeks ago and it's been kind of haunting me since. We rode up to a dinky little show this morning and because I think foot traffic was really light (if there were 115 people walking around, it was a lot) the guy gave me a pretty good price for it.

It's a 1973 manufacture, in really nice shape. I seriously don't think it was shot much.

I have some pics, but Imgur keeps making them huuuuge. Will post a pic when I get it straightened out.

More research uncovered that it's a "low back" early model and a bit special.

Aqualung

The 1973 dating told me it was a low back, what makes it "special", no picture required, just tell us the particulars. Since I collect the Six series I'm always interested in anything about those revolvers.

If you don't like the factory grips, since it is a low back grip frame, you are pretty much limited to finding some Jay Scott or Herretts after market grips (eBay, Gunbroker, Numrich) or making your own. I do have a set of Zebra wood grips that are cut for that frame that are "in the rough" that you could shape any way you want. You can PM me for more info if interested.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Thanks Ron, I'll keep it in mind.

A few weeks ago, my Buddy and I were at the Oaks show. He'd mentioned that he'd met up with this seller at the Allentown show that had a very nice Security Six and a S&W 915.

I'd toyed with the idea of a 4" DA revolver and have said for a while that I'd keep an eye out for a Security Six. I like them and the GP100s, but figured that the Six would be more of a novelty since they're not as common as the GPs.

Well, this guy, Dickinson was at the show and he still had the 915 and the Security Six. As my buddy wants a 6" more than a 4" (already has a 4" GP100), he went for the 915.

So, the Six...the absolute only blemish is a tiny bit of wear near the muzzle. Everything else on this gun is *pristine*. A veritable safe queen. I walked away because the price was a bit more than I wanted to spend and more than I thought they were going for...even if it was in perfect condition.

I walked away, but it kinda stayed with me. My buddy kept kidding me about it.

So, on Saturday, my buddy texts me and says that he's going to Leesport Gun Show, up near Hamburg. He thinks Dick does that show and we'd see if he had the "country price" on it (as opposed to the higher, "city price"), or would be willing to deal.

Well, not sure if you've made the trip to the Leesport show, but it's about 50 tables, if that. We got there and there were so few cars in the lot, we thought we were in the wrong place...we went in and there were maybe 20 people walking around.

I guess he saw that as the potential to make no sales, because between the customer wasteland and my buddy's being a repeat customer of his, Dick dropped the price quite a bit and I signed on the line.

It wasn't until I saw a thread on the other Ruger forum about the early Security Sixes that keyed me in. I'd remembered my S/N started with 150- and then looked up the number. According to Ruger's site, it's about 500 guns into the 1973 run (150-358xx).

Here's another photo. The gun's actual color is much better, but appears washed out since I had to adjust the light settings.
Hb7VFcI.jpg

Otherwise, I really don't know too much about them. This is truly a case of the blind squirrel finding the nut...

Aqualung

hittman

Staff member
Congrats on figuring out the picture thing. Great buy on the low back Six Series.

Now your fun really begins .....

4U4vxTVh.jpg

They made those in stainless too.
And 6-inch barrel.
And 2.75-inch barrel.
And in 38 Special.
And fixed site.

Keep looking!

Aqualung, good picture of a great gun. You are right it's early 1973 and I don't see anything out of the ordinary with it. The outside shows very little wear and the grips are in perfect condition so the internals should be in great condition also. You dun good!

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
That is a very nice gun indeed! I doubt you will ever regret that purchase.

I still believe the Six Series, especially the 4" Security Six with the adjustable sites and the 2 3/4" Speed Six are some of the best guns ever made by anyone. I wear a 4" Security Six around the farm when out and about, and I still sometimes carry a SS, 2 3/4", Speed Six as a concealed weapon (a S&W 3913 is most often what I carry concealed). In fact my like new 9mm SS, 2 3/4", Speed Six is one of my favorite handguns.

I seem to be in the minority these days as due to the massive number of Six Series revolvers that Ruger sold, they seem to be in less demand than guns that are far inferior to them in reliability and durability. The only knock was the trigger was a little heavy, and with use that becomes a non-issue.

It also could be I am just old and not with the times. LOL Still my SS Ruger 4" Security Six and my SS Ruger, 2 3/4", Speed Six will be the two guns I take in a SHTF situation.

5of7

Hunter
Aqualung said:
Just picked this Security Six today. My buddy and I saw it at another show a few weeks ago and it's been kind of haunting me since. We rode up to a dinky little show this morning and because I think foot traffic was really light (if there were 115 people walking around, it was a lot) the guy gave me a pretty good price for it.

It's a 1973 manufacture, in really nice shape. I seriously don't think it was shot much.

I have some pics, but Imgur keeps making them huuuuge. Will post a pic when I get it straightened out.

More research uncovered that it's a "low back" early model and a bit special.

Aqualung

When you copy the address of your pictures on Imgr, just choose the large icon size and the pictures will not be too big for good viewing.

Acorn

Buckeye
Congrats on your score. I just landed a late low back serial #150-92xxx. I didn't know a low back from a hill of beans. Just that I liked a 4" stainless Sec. Six. Your grips are in much nicer shape than mine.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Found a 4 inch Speed Six made in 1974 last November, a 4 inch Service Six made in 1976 in January and a 4 inch Security Six made in 1982 in April. All three are blued and look to have been shot vary little, have been looking for a Six for over ten years and these three are the only ones I have ever seen in a gun shop so I was really surprised to find all three at the same LGS. I bought a 6 inch stainless Security Six off GunBroker 5 years ago thinking I would never find one at a gun shop.