Ruger LCP--hard to rack

Help Support Ruger Forum:

olcop

Single-Sixer
I need a charging handle for my LCP, getting tough to rack it, and my wife can't rack it all....I think I saw a charging handle that screwed to the slide and it seems like the answer to the problem.....however, I don't remember the correct nomenclature for what it is called...sorta looks like the bolt pull on a .22 semi auto rifle.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

olcop

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
Are your other semi-auto pistols hard to rack or is it just the LCP?

Many women can't rack a semi-auto. Most guys can if they have normal hand strength.

All are tough, for me, she can't rack any of them at all. We're both old, and I'm disabled.

s4s4u

Hunter
olcop said:
blume357 said:

Many women can't rack a semi-auto. Most guys can if they have normal hand strength.

All are tough, for me, she can't rack any of them at all. We're both old, and I'm disabled.

An LCR or other compact revolver might be a better option. I know this is a Ruger board, but Taurus offers semi-auto pistols with "wings" that flip out to aid racking the slide.

olcop

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:
olcop said:
blume357 said:

An LCR or other compact revolver might be a better option. I know this is a Ruger board, but Taurus offers semi-auto pistols with "wings" that flip out to aid racking the slide.

I agree that a revolver would be a better choice, however, an LCP is what I have and I can't afford to buy anything else.....and...it fits the concealed storage area in my vehicle, I've found one on line that is what I like, but no one builds them for an LCP.

Placing the top part of slide(above the barrel) on the edge of a table, you can the use body weight to rack the slide. Not convenient, but it works! Us old folk got to stick together. 8)
gramps

gramps said:
Placing the top part of slide(above the barrel) on the edge of a table, you can the use body weight to rack the slide. Not convenient, but it works! Us old folk got to stick together. 8)
gramps

that's actually one of the items / ways I was going to suggest. First time I saw that done was in the 8 hour NRA class I had to take to get my CWP. you got to get the end of the pistol just right and I would not suggest doing it on the good furniture or the wife might be a tad displeased. It's also much harder to do on smaller pistols.

olcop said:
blume357 said:

olcop,
The Handi-Racker might be worth a try. It is demonstrated in the below video.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/kel-tec-hard-rack-handi-racker-shot-show-2017/
Additional information:

http://handi-racker.com/
Best wishes,

olcop

Single-Sixer
Pistolero said:
olcop said:
blume357 said:

olcop,
The Handi-Racker might be worth a try. It is demonstrated in the below video.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/kel-tec-hard-rack-handi-racker-shot-show-2017/
Additional information:

http://handi-racker.com/
Best wishes,

I sort of ruled out a separate mechanical assist for this because of storage space and possibility of fumbling it in an emergency, my thinking is that a few seconds lost acquiring and racking the gun could be the difference between handling the situation or not. the lack of hard corners anywhere near the driver's seat on modern era vehicles and dropping the assist device would cost even more time. The one I saw was s device that looked sort of like the bolt pull on a semiautomatic .22 rifle, but with a base with two holes that one would would drill and tap in the slide and mounting the device on the slide, where it would become a permanant attachment,there are several of these types on the market, but so far, I haven't found one for an LCP.
I appreciate all the info, suggestions and ideas. please keep em coming

louchia

Single-Sixer
Have you tried applying stair tread or skate bard tape or some other grip tape to the slide to allow better grip? It works for me. There are several YouTube videos on this if you are not familiar with this.

Having difficulty racking a slide has as much to do with hand strength as arm strength. The women I've known who had a problem with this could not hold the slide tight enough.

If this issue can't be over come, I'd suggest a revolver.

exavid

Hunter
Have you tried the overhand pushing method of racking the slide. That allows more fingers on the slide for a better trip and the pushing both hands together give good leverage on the gun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTt_rq7ikZ4

Latest posts