RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:08 am 
Single-Sixer

Washington – I posted incorrect info. I read the bill wrong. Sorry for posting incorrect info. http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/ ... 260.PL.pdf

Tennessee – Is going to go to a two tier Permit System. Effective 1/1/20 House Bill 1264 changes the name of the Tennessee Permit from “Handgun Carry Permit” to “Enhanced Handgun Carry Permit.” It adds a new section to the statutes that lists all the criteria on obtaining a Tennessee Permit which will require less training and cost less. I can’t find a final version of the bill with the amendments that passed added. You have to read the amendments that passed also to see the entire bill.
http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/111/Bill/HB1264.pdf

Connecticut - Effective October 1, 2019 HB 7223 Public Act No. 19-7 sets in statute how firearms must be stored in unattended vehicles and the charge if violated. You can read the Bill at https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/ACT/pa/pdf/ ... 223-PA.pdf

Connecticut – Effective October 1, 2019 HB 7218 Public Act No. 19.5 amended CT Statutes on the storage of firearms on your premises that can be accessed by someone under 18. You can read the bill at https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/ACT/pa/pdf/ ... 218-PA.pdf

New York & New York City – Effective Immediately. With the passage of Bill No. A05944/S04863 New York has removed “Gravity Knife” from the statute on what is considered a Deadly Weapon. NYC was citing a lot of people with an Assisted Opening Knife saying they could be opened by the flick of the wrist and the NY Supreme Ct even upheld a NYC conviction in the last few years upholding an Assisted Opening Knife was a Gravity Knife. NYC Admin Rules state a knife must not be visible. That clip that we use to carry that knife in a pocket showing has also gotten people cited. Keep it completely concealed in NYC at the least.
https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_fld ... s=Y&Text=Y

Handgunlaw.us wants to remind people that when a bill is passed and becomes law it can take months and sometimes almost a year before a state will update its online statutes with the law change. Then like everyone else most have a disclaimer on the accuracy of their online statutes.

Co-Owner
Handgunlaw.us
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:31 am 
Single-Sixer

My Washington State entry about Governor’s Emergency Powers was completely wrong. I had it backwards from what the bill actually stated. I have removed that from my post. I have to look and try to figure out how I made such a huge error. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone. Gary Slider

Co-Owner
Handgunlaw.us

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:43 am 
Single-Sixer

My Washington entry should have stated that the Washington Legislature passed and the Governor signed a bill that REMOVED the Governors authority to stop the possess/carrying etc of firearms outside the home doing a declared emergency. I previously posted incorrect info about this bill. The bill is very easy to read and is not hard to understand. Don’t know how I got it wrong. I just made a huge error! Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused anyone. http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/ ... 260.PL.pdf

Co-Owner
Handgunlaw.us

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 pm 
Buckeye

Hi Gary.
I responded to your post in the other forum.
And no, I'm not following you........ :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:32 am 
Hunter

Even if "gravity knives" are no longer illegal in NYC, there is no question that the NYPD is extremely anti knife as well as anti gun. I have little doubt that if detained by the police, and found to have a pocket knife, every twist of the law possible will be used to find a way to arrest and charge anyone caught with any knife. I have no idea if NYC has laws prohibiting carry knives over a specified length, but if they do, you better make sure that your knife is well under that limit since I would expect the NYPD to measure the length of the blade in any way possible to justify arresting the carrier. The bigger issue in some places, like NYC, is that there is a culture of disdain of the concept of self defense. Injuring or killing a criminal who attempts to harm you is seen as a criminal act whenever possible. And going all the way back to the Bernie Goetz case, even when self defense is undeniable, given any justification for criminally charging the person who defended themselves will be used to punish the defender. In a sane world, breaking the law on possessing a handgun would be seen as a justifiable act if that gun were legitimately used to defend oneself, but in NYC you can count on being arrested and jailed if you, like Goetz have the temerity to use a weapon to defend yourself.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 am 
Hunter

Man, I hope I never have to go to that horrid place.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:36 am 
Hawkeye

vito wrote:
Even if "gravity knives" are no longer illegal in NYC, there is no question that the NYPD is extremely anti knife as well as anti gun. I have little doubt that if detained by the police, and found to have a pocket knife, every twist of the law possible will be used to find a way to arrest and charge anyone caught with any knife. I have no idea if NYC has laws prohibiting carry knives over a specified length, but if they do, you better make sure that your knife is well under that limit since I would expect the NYPD to measure the length of the blade in any way possible to justify arresting the carrier. The bigger issue in some places, like NYC, is that there is a culture of disdain of the concept of self defense. Injuring or killing a criminal who attempts to harm you is seen as a criminal act whenever possible. And going all the way back to the Bernie Goetz case, even when self defense is undeniable, given any justification for criminally charging the person who defended themselves will be used to punish the defender. In a sane world, breaking the law on possessing a handgun would be seen as a justifiable act if that gun were legitimately used to defend oneself, but in NYC you can count on being arrested and jailed if you, like Goetz have the temerity to use a weapon to defend yourself.

Does this mean I can't carry my Woodmans Pal in NYC? Oh, well. Guess I'll just not go to NYC. Too bad. So sad.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 am 
Hunter

If you were spotted with that machete in NYC, they would shut down the neighborhood and bring in the SWAT Team. If you also dropped an empty 22 cartridge case on the ground they would call out the National Guard.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:28 am 
Hawkeye

vito wrote:
If you were spotted with that machete in NYC, they would shut down the neighborhood and bring in the SWAT Team. If you also dropped an empty 22 cartridge case on the ground they would call out the National Guard.

:lol: Don't doubt it. I've come to the conclusion that the major difference between people in "flyover country", and people in cities is paranoia over common items such as this. City folks must live in constant fear of nearly everyone and every thing. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:52 pm 
Hawkeye

vito wrote:

Ha, ha, ha! Makes me want to fly over NYC dropping thousands of .22 empty cartridge cases. Like spitting on an ant hill?
gramps
PS I wouldn’t do it, the flyover costs too much money!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:40 am 
Hawkeye

gramps wrote:
vito wrote:

Ha, ha, ha! Makes me want to fly over NYC dropping thousands of .22 empty cartridge cases. Like spitting on an ant hill?
gramps
PS I wouldn’t do it, the flyover costs too much money!

Amazon is delivering via drone now. :wink: You can take it from there. :lol: