Single actions and small hands

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
Ruger offers single action revolvers with "standard" hammers and "Bisley" revolver hammers. I have been able to thumb cock single action revolvers while maintaining my grip only by using my "off" hand. Having small hands, I am able to thumb cock with shooting hand only by breaking my grip to use what I call my "gunslinger fast draw" method of cocking.

1. Are Bisley hammers easier to cock with shooting hand than standard hammers? If they are easier . . .

2. Can Bisley hammers be used effectively with standard grip frame? OR must grip frame become Bisley also?

grobin

Blackhawk
I've only shot one Bisley and didn't like it. I couldn't cock the action with a single handed grip. I normally use a Chapman stance and a high two handed grip. I cock the revolver with my off hand thumb. I can do this with either the Bisley or standard. I can't cock most revolvers with one hand and the standard grip either.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Yes, I find Ruger Bisleys easier to cock with one hand, but I can shoot standard Ruger Vaquero's (old model) with one hand as well. I don't like the New Vaquero extended hammer.
Ruger Bisley hammers require Ruger Bisley grip frame to my knowledge.

FYI: Colt Bisleys originally came out 1894-1912 as one handed target revolvers for the competitions at the turn of the prior to last century at the Bisley range in England.

G2

Hunter
Bisley hammers can be modified to work in any Ruger grip frame.
The spur is the lowest of all the hammers and the extra width help's.

Single 7
413078562.jpg

413078565.jpg

Birdshead Single 7
413575956.jpg

This picture shows different spur heights, and what needs to be removed to work in grip frames other than Bisley.
413575957.jpg

Birdshead Vaquero with & without.
413816051.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
A lot of good info above. Read it, study it & understand what & how things work. The Bisley hammers do allow a lower & easier thumb placement for single handed cocking. And as the pics show,, you can modify a Bisley hammer to work in a standard grip frame.

I was teaching a class yesterday of new or very inexperienced lady shooters. We have them shoot DA revolvers. I also have them try it in SA mode. I want them to experience both ways. I have them use one hand & two hands to operate it. Without fail,,, when trying to cock a revolver for SA mode,, ALL prefer to use the "off" hand to cock the hammer. And I explain it allows for the dominant hand to maintain a proper grip, and still allow SA operation.
In SASS shooting,, when using a two handed grip,, every shooter that is serious uses the off thumb to cock a SA gun. One in the categories where the use of one hand is required will a shooter use the dominant hand to cock AND fire the gun.

I always teach that if possible,, always use two hands to operate a handgun as much as possible. Much better control all around.

But, yes,, you can use the Bisley hammers once the "hump" is modified. You can also look into using a Super Blackhawk hammer as well.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A Super hammer will drop right into a Blackhawk without modification and sits almost as low as a Bisley hammer.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have two hands, one for cocking and one for squeezing ;-)

That said, the Bisley is easy to cock with one hand.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The Bisley, Super BH, and Montado NV hammers all have wider and lower hammer spurs which are easier to reach.

The New Vaq has a lower and extra long hammer spur which is not only easier to reach, but easier to cock due to the extra leverage of its longer spur. And no modifications needed:

5102.jpg