RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buckeye Specials
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:50 pm 
Single-Sixer

When Ruger made their run of specials for Buckeye Sports, did they ever release the promised third (44-40/44 Mag) version or were there only two? It dawned on me as I was discussing them, I’ve never seen one of the 44s. :?

Froggie

Post subject: Re: Buckeye Specials
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:01 pm 
Ruger Guru

John ( Buckeye Sporting Goods) did just the two offerings and when talk of the 3 rd came about we were told he said "no"....and I guess the 44/44-44 mag convertible was actually ended up going Williams GunSight Company??? Maybe Chad knows more details, this is just what we were told back in the early 90s...as we sold the BUckeyes through our shop as well as the holsters thaat were also offered...wish I had held onto the 'black leather' Buckeye marked holsters as there were so few of them made for the Buckeye guns....I still have one "set" left over but never was one for "matching up: the serial numbers even though they were offered to us...oh well

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi Froggie,

5202 32s and 6199 .38-40s were made. Their catalog #s, S32X and S3840 were in error because neither were Super Blackhawks and should have been # 32X and # 3840.

Only 1198 .44s made and were shipped to Jerry's Sports Ctr in 1990-91 as catalog # S4440. So rarer than the above versions.

Ruger ran out of 44-40 cylinders while they still had 50 frames left marked "Convertible". Those 50 frames were shipped only with the 44 Mag cyl and the standard catalog # S47N. Only two have surfaced.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:29 pm 
Single-Sixer

Thanks for those quick responses. If I understand it correctly, there WERE supposed to be 44 cal Buckeye convertibles built, but they didn't actually make it as Buckeye Specials. The 32 combo came first, IIRC and the next year you had first dibs on a 38-40/10 mm (or was it 40 S&W?) with the same serial number, right?

Of course the question also arises, since they ran out of 44-40 cylinders before they even completed the proposed run of combo guns, were there ever any non-convertible 44-40 Blackhawks ever released on their own? The subject of a 44-40 combo came up in a discussion I started on another board concerning my Uberti Henry in that caliber and I thought to myself what a great partner a Blackhawk in the same caliber could be.

Thanks again!
Froggie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:36 pm 
Ruger Guru

Good follow -up info Hondo,,,was wondering as I had never seen but 1 or 2 of the 44 convertibles, and was told the same story by them it came through Williams??? so thought they be the one...I do know that John in Canton ,Ohio had said NO to the 3rd version or issue and NO "Buckeye" to be done that way.....wondering if Ruger would ever supply any replacement 44-40 cylinders??? ha ha
Heck the factory did not even get it right with the end labels for the first .32 cal Buckeyes, they called it a Single Six............. :roll: :wink:

wish I still had that one it was a 2 digit number I recall.....oh well 8)

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Thx Dan,

I'd never seen the incorrect label. But had seen on the Ruger website they are listed that way in the serial # look up lists.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:27 pm 
Buckeye

Perhaps my memory is faulty, but didn't the poor sales of these guns, the 32s and 10mms, cause Buckeye to go out of business?
I bought one of the 32s at a small shop in Flemington, NJ circa '94 for $189. And he had about 10 more in stock.
Couldn't give them away.
Ironic that they now bring a premium.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm 
Ruger Guru

sorry but the Rugers were NOT the cause of John closing up Buckeye Sports, I think he was getting old and tired, and sadly much like Ashland Shooters Supply, our friend Big Joe, back then, things just kinda phased out, Outdoor Sports lasted about the longest around here,,,,,and now there is Baumlers Supply over in Lorain area....we had closed our shop back in 1986 and after the fall of High Standard,(East Hartford) we just kinda let things go.Gave up the 'FFL' ( had three of them over the years) 1995 moved to Chardon, just tinker a bit here and there, staying and playing more with the Rugers and been hanging in there ever since, enjoy retirement all too much....... 8) :roll: :wink:

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 pm 
Bearcat

What's a fair price for the 44/44-40, with box and shipper?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:30 am 
Single-Sixer

rugerguy wrote:
sorry but the Rugers were NOT the cause of John closing up Buckeye Sports, I think he was getting old and tired, and sadly much like Ashland Shooters Supply, our friend Big Joe, back then, things just kinda phased out, Outdoor Sports lasted about the longest around here,,,,,and now there is Baumlers Supply over in Lorain area....we had closed our shop back in 1986 and after the fall of High Standard,(East Hartford) we just kinda let things go.Gave up the 'FFL' ( had three of them over the years) 1995 moved to Chardon, just tinker a bit here and there, staying and playing more with the Rugers and been hanging in there ever since, enjoy retirement all too much....... 8) :roll: :wink:

There also used to be an outfit called Southern Ohio Gunworks, IIRC. Is that one still in business? I think they were real big in police trade-ins and other revolvers, but I don't think I ever had occasion to buy anything from them.

Froggie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:58 am 
Ruger Guru

Yes I remember Southern OHio Gun,,they used to get a lot of imports like British Enfileds and NICE stuff,,though we never dealt with them,,,and our PD trade ins would come through Abele -Davis or Standard Law...now a lot goes through Atwells in Painesville..........ah those were the days,,,,CHEAP prices on LE revolver trade ins.Seemed like every department was going to semi autos..........

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:20 pm 
Hawkeye

cedarcreek wrote:
What's a fair price for the 44/44-40, with box and shipper?

Sir, IMHO,
"Crisp" NIB & LNIB =$1,000.00 - $1,500.00
Shooters = $750.00 & up.

Not to Hi-jack your post but here is an old post of mine on these revolvers that you can check out.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=165379&hilit=Buckeye+Specials

Terry

Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Sixgun Man

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 pm 
Ruger Guru

Terry, nice to be reminded of that gun back then....sorry we missed you at the Cuyahoga Falls show, we set up Saturday only...your buddy bought one of them new Wranglers..... 8) :wink:

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:12 pm 
Buckeye

I believe SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) went out of business last year. I bought several guns from them over the years.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:04 am 
Hawkeye

rugerguy wrote:
Terry, nice to be reminded of that gun back then....sorry we missed you at the Cuyahoga Falls show, we set up Saturday only...your buddy bought one of them new Wranglers..... 8) :wink:

I told him he should have bought both of them :wink: ,,,I have all three on order.
Terry

Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Sixgun Man