Ruger Single Six Buntline

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
Guys I have been offered a New Model Blue Ruger Single Six 22 Caliber Buntline with a 9 1/2 inch Barrel with adjustable sights. It is not a Three Screw Model. It has both cylinders 22LR & 22Mag. The Gun is used, but has all it blueing and the grips are in good condition. The Gun especially the barrel & frame seem rough to the touch. But it does not feel like surface rust just really gritty and dirty like maybe its been in storage for a long time.. I didn't a chance to really look closely at the gun today but will tomorrow I hope. The Owner want $500 for the gun. I have had a love affair with long barreled handguns in both S/A & D/A since I was a young kid. What do You Guys think about the price. I really need some expert advice. Thanks in advance.
ken

This comes under one of the "Pucker Factors" ( how bad do YOU really want or need it.....) as for the "feels rough" simply wife down the barrel with a soft clothe ( rag) with some 'mineral spirits' on it BEFORE you buy it...without seeing it, and all the old and new model Rugers we have worked on over the years since the 1960s my 'bet' is it is surface rust,,,see this all tooo often with the guns that have NEVER been wipe down or oiled for long periods of time,,,,gotta remember the blued finish on any firearm is actually "controlled oxidation".......
that price is HIGH for this area for a New model 22 convertible, but if it "cleans" up, and YOU really want it,,,,,go for it

Good luck :wink:

mooshoo

Bearcat
I've got a 1974 model single six with the 9 1/2 barrel with the 22 mag cylinder love it!

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
Thanks a million for all your timely expert advice on my very vague questions. What would be a good price for the gun in the shape I have described it to you. And if it is in fact surface rust could I send the gun back to Ruger to have it refinished, or do they do that kind of work. And what would You think the cost would be on having that done. Thanks again in advance.
ken

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have the same model that I bought from a buddy. I think I gave him $325 for it, but that's with the "Buddy Discount", however, I think that's what he paid for it.

Price will vary depending on the market, of course. Here in Philly area, single-actions don't really command high prices.

All I know is mine is a tack-driver with .22mags...but no slouch with the .22LRs. I wish I still hunted small game.

Aqualung

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ken,

I agree with Dan 'rugerguy' above. $500 is high for the condition; $400 max IMO.

Surface rust can be polished off with Mothers Mag wheel polish, Flitz, or Semichrome, etc. Depending on how bad the surface rust is, you may still see minor etching in the bluing, but it will be a smooth surface.

http://www.ruger.com/service/partsService.html
1 (603) 865-2442

Ruger cost to refinish SA revolver = $80 and $30 return shipping, last I checked.

About $85 for an individual to ship them the gun. Or most local dealers will ship it for you, and it's less than half for an FFL to ship it.

The re-blue will be done correctly w/o over buffing, etc., and you'll get it back fast; less than 2 weeks. You can't beat their service and refinish, or even come close to the cost or quality anywhere!

Actually Ruger's reblue jobs are better than original. It's not done by the regular production people who are cranking out new guns as fast as they can. But it is done on the same type machinery though, so all the surfaces have the same polishing techniques and contours as new factory guns; the secret of a restoration vs. a refinish! AND any flaws or sloppiness from the original factory polish is corrected and the gun has the nicest polish of any originals. They all seem to come back with their 'flagship' Super BH best polish.

If the gun is seriously pitted, they may not be able to get them all out if too deep, but they'll do their best.

Here's my factory refinished Hawkeye. (I added the stainless steel grip frame in place of the aluminum alloy original grip frame):
large.jpg

Local market dictates value.

I sold a very nice one a while back. Listed it for $400, and I think I ended up discounting it somewhat. Unless we find the right buyer at the right time, and the right place, it's getting tougher to get what they should be worth.

This was the ad, and it was not an easy sell...

SOLD

Ruger NR9

9-1/2" barrel.

.22 and .22 magnum convertible.

Functions perfectly and shoots very well.

Very nice, 95%+ condition. Includes nylon holster. No box.

$400, and I'll pay the transfer at a mutually convenient FFL.

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
Just an up date. I got to see the gun again to day. And the barrel and frame has a lot of Surface Rust. The owner will not budge on his $500.00 price tag. He is convinced that Ruger has not made this gun for many years. And that He is sitting on a Gold Mine. So I am going to look at ordering a Brand New gun. I will probably be better off, with a New Gun. But I would like to thank all of You for your timely Expert Advice and Support.
THANKS AGAIN:
ken

Bud's and Tombstone have them new in stock, $507 & $502.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_1814/products_id/70104/Ruger+0624+Single-Six+Convertible+6RD+22LR22MAG+9.5%22

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/ruger/0624-single-six-revolver-22lr-22mag-9.5in-6rd-blued-adjustable-sights/

These two were easy to find. Keep searching, and you'll probably find them for even less.

rallye_red

Bearcat
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/44655

Sportsman Outdoor Superstore has them for $469.99, free shipping and no credit card fees.

I recently sold my H&R 686 12". I just didn't get enough chances to shoot it, so I sold it to someone who enjoys it.

Yes indeed. You can have a shiny new one for the same price or less, and if you don't like the "hard rubber" grips any recent New Model walnut panels are easy to find and not pricey.

:)

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
Again Guys: Thanks a million for all your advice, input, and time. I appreciate your help and assistance more that than I can say. I let a very special Ruger Single Six Convertible 22LR / 22MAG 9 1/2 barreled gun get by me in 1975 while I was at Fort Eustis Va. And I have always regretted that particular Gun Deal, and think about it alot. And I guess I was trying to make up for it, on this one. But I just have this unshakable love affair with long barreled Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns. And I don`t think, I will ever change.
ken

WAYNO said:
Local market dictates value.

I sold a very nice one a while back. Listed it for $400, and I think I ended up discounting it somewhat. Unless we find the right buyer at the right time, and the right place, it's getting tougher to get what they should be worth.

This was the ad, and it was not an easy sell...

SOLD

Ruger NR9

9-1/2" barrel.

.22 and .22 magnum convertible.

Functions perfectly and shoots very well.

Very nice, 95%+ condition. Includes nylon holster. No box.

$400, and I'll pay the transfer at a mutually convenient FFL.

Guess I am lucky I missed you listing this one. I probably would have had to of tossed you an offer. :lol:
While I already have a pair, 3 of a kind is tough to beat. :wink:

Latest posts