Flatgate Box-Oh no I'm sad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CZReverend

Bearcat
Hey everyone, recently had won a 1956 flatgate and would like to find a box for it. How hard of an endeavor is this? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: This has now turned into more than a box hunt. See below.

Thanks!

CZReverend

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
They're available occasionally, but kinda pricey in good condition.

You might try putting a "Want to buy" ad in the Classifieds subforum.

:mrgreen:

Thanks I will do that eventually. For now, what should I be looking for to ensure the box matches the model I have and is time period correct? Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Nice gun, and the box and contents will look like this......

4UvQTktm.jpg

Good luck,, just remember NO catalog numbers on the end flap, and these boxes will push$150-200 fora NICE One.......

CZReverend

Bearcat
Well, I finally got my 1956 Single Six. Beautiful gun. But I'm sad. Turns out, it has been converted. I was a last minute bidder on it and that info wasn't in the listing, and there was no time to ask. So, now I can't decide what I want to do with it.

Nice gun, you did good,,,,and it would be a piece of cake to convert it back to the old style lockwork........did you try and contact the seller and ask them if they had or still have the "old parts"??? never know...... I know of folks that were lucky enough to follow up and get them...never say never...easier to get the parts, than an original box............

CZReverend

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
Nice gun, you did good,,,,and it would be a piece of cake to convert it back to the old style lockwork........did you try and contact the seller and ask them if they had or still have the "old parts"??? never know...... I know of folks that were lucky enough to follow up and get them...never say never...easier to get the parts, than an original box............

Thanks Dan, I will do that but I am not hopeful he has them. I will start my search! EDIT:Found some on GB, just deciding if that is the route I am taking or not.

I still think the gun was worth the less than $400 risk I took on it.

Nice old gun. I'd keep it and use it. I know it's disappointing that it was converted but I'd consider the fact that $400 doesn't buy a gun of that quality new these days, and your Flatgate looks almost new.

If that frame is getting plum-ripe as it appears in the close-up pic, I consider that "value added"! Neat SS in any case. And the season on Ruger parts is ALWAYS open. Good hunting!

daveg.inkc

Hunter
That is a very good buy. You need Jerry Kuhnhausen's book. "The Ruger Single Action Revolvers ". Volumes 1&2. It's one book combined. This question is detailed with photos. I'd rather have that 1956 model than a Wrangler.

CZReverend

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
That is a very good buy. You need Jerry Kuhnhausen's book. "The Ruger Single Action Revolvers ". Volumes 1&2. It's one book combined. This question is detailed with photos. I'd rather have that 1956 model than a Wrangler.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ordered!

CZReverend

Bearcat
Did a bit of an upgrade today. The previous grip panels were turning brown pretty bad, so I put some others I have from another old model on it. They are in much better shape.

A3c1D6Y.jpg

Here it is with the organ donor!

wgwz4TN.jpg

Latest posts