Hop Field Progress

Help Support Ruger Forum:

How about hops? Just nubbins now, but soon they will climb to the top of the strings just in time to be cut down and used to make beer taste bad. :?

Note the above photo was taken May 4th. The hops were just barely finding their way to the strings.

Same field, May 22nd, less than 3 weeks later and the hops are three feet tall. Another three weeks and you wont see daylight thru the hop fields.

Interesting too, taking photos thru the hops, my cell-camera could not find a focal point for focus. I'll get a better photo of the growth next time I pass these fields.

God's plan. Even these hops know when to grow, and what to do, year after year.

I'm no beer snob, but for me IPAs are the thing, and the hoppier the better. And, with a LOT of other negatives to account for, California makes the best: Sierra Nevada, and a bunch of near misses! Who knew that anything good would ever come out of Chico besides Claro Walnut?

(Sorry CSUC alumni....).

RSIno1

Hunter
gggetc ancestors settled Schoharie County NY. They were Dutch & German and the area was known for its hop fields. I'd like to get some beer made from those hops just for the family connection.

Guy I work with from time to time building, bought a 450 acres of farm. His goal
is to grow hops! He says it takes 4 years for your first harvest, wow that is a long
spell to wait for a return on investment. He plans on continuing to build in the mean time, be interesting to watch! I'll probably end up doing stuff there also lol. ps

Chief 101

Hunter
they grow lots of hops around here, and lots of bitter beer and lots of folks that like bitter beer...

A few days later, and some of these plants are now 8 feet high. 8)

LGC42 said:
78% of the hops grown in the US are grown here in the Yakima valley. More fields are being planted every year.

the Willamette Valley is ideally suited for hops cultivation... The region produces almost 20% of all US hops, compared with about 75% from the Yakima Valley in the state of Washington.

In the hop area in the Willamette Valley, hops are strung as far as the eye can see. And ours is only a drop compared to Eastern Washington. I can't imagine.

jgt

Buckeye
I can remember driving through the area around Yakama where the hop fields are and the smell being so overwhelming that it was hard to breathe. My uncle used to drink Falstaff beer when I was a kid and that beer smelled like they used a lot of hops to brew it.

coach

Hunter
WAYNO said:
How about hops? Just nubbins now, but soon they will climb to the top of the strings just in time to be cut down and used to make beer taste bad. :?
I agree a little hops goes a long way in beer. Can't wait to see the new pics. I didn't know they grew so fast

Which fields are you taking the pics of??? I go through them in both the valley here at home, and all around Yakima and Sunnyside when I am on the road. I have noticed different growth rates between the areas but also between fields just a few miles apart.

Funny thing about this "Beer" talk. I stumbled onto both Hamms and Olympia beer in 6 pack cans this week. No idea where or who is making it??? I bought a 6er of each for the kids graduation next week. Thinking it is time he learned what a good old fashioned working mans beer tastes like. I remember more than 1 neighborhood dad that had at least a 6 pack a day Oly habit when I was a kid.

Hamms---From the land of sky blue waters

Olympia---Its the water

AJGUNNER said:
Which fields are you taking the pics of??? I go through them in both the valley here at home, and all around Yakima and Sunnyside when I am on the road. I have noticed different growth rates between the areas but also between fields just a few miles apart.

Funny thing about this "Beer" talk. I stumbled onto both Hamms and Olympia beer in 6 pack cans this week. No idea where or who is making it??? I bought a 6er of each for the kids graduation next week. Thinking it is time he learned what a good old fashioned working mans beer tastes like. I remember more than 1 neighborhood dad that had at least a 6 pack a day Oly habit when I was a kid.

Hamms---From the land of sky blue waters

Olympia---Its the water

These hop fields are between Butteville and Newberg. I know different fields in different areas grow at different rates. The fields outside Mt. Angel are taller.

Spencer

Single-Sixer
Mike Armstrong said:
I'm no beer snob, but for me IPAs are the thing, and the hoppier the better..

I couldn't agree more. I don't drink beer, I drink IPA's

Great pics. Madison County NY used to be hop central prior to prohibition. You can still find some plants that have remained w
Growing wild in the abandoned farms when summertime scouting. Be cool to propagate them and see how they would turn out.