RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hop Field Progress
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 am 
Hawkeye

How about hops? Just nubbins now, but soon they will climb to the top of the strings just in time to be cut down and used to make beer taste bad. :?

Note the above photo was taken May 4th. The hops were just barely finding their way to the strings.

Same field, May 22nd, less than 3 weeks later and the hops are three feet tall. Another three weeks and you wont see daylight thru the hop fields.

Interesting too, taking photos thru the hops, my cell-camera could not find a focal point for focus. I'll get a better photo of the growth next time I pass these fields.

God's plan. Even these hops know when to grow, and what to do, year after year.

Post subject: Re: Hop Field Progress
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:00 pm 
Hawkeye

Yea, in my opinion, hops = bitter beer. Don't care for most of the micro brews because of the high hop content.

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:37 pm 
Hunter

I'm no beer snob, but for me IPAs are the thing, and the hoppier the better. And, with a LOT of other negatives to account for, California makes the best: Sierra Nevada, and a bunch of near misses! Who knew that anything good would ever come out of Chico besides Claro Walnut?

(Sorry CSUC alumni....).

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:44 pm 
Buckeye

gggetc ancestors settled Schoharie County NY. They were Dutch & German and the area was known for its hop fields. I'd like to get some beer made from those hops just for the family connection.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:36 am 
Hawkeye

Guy I work with from time to time building, bought a 450 acres of farm. His goal
is to grow hops! He says it takes 4 years for your first harvest, wow that is a long
spell to wait for a return on investment. He plans on continuing to build in the mean time, be interesting to watch! I'll probably end up doing stuff there also lol. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 am 
Hunter

they grow lots of hops around here, and lots of bitter beer and lots of folks that like bitter beer...

"There are men running the government who shouldn't be playing with matches"
Will Rogers

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Abraham Lincoln

when a cowboy is too old to set a bad example, he hands out bad advice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:14 am 
Single-Sixer

78% of the hops grown in the US are grown here in the Yakima valley. More fields are being planted every year.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 am 
Hawkeye

A few days later, and some of these plants are now 8 feet high. 8)

LGC42 wrote:
78% of the hops grown in the US are grown here in the Yakima valley. More fields are being planted every year.

the Willamette Valley is ideally suited for hops cultivation... The region produces almost 20% of all US hops, compared with about 75% from the Yakima Valley in the state of Washington.

In the hop area in the Willamette Valley, hops are strung as far as the eye can see. And ours is only a drop compared to Eastern Washington. I can't imagine.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:01 am 
Blackhawk

I can remember driving through the area around Yakama where the hop fields are and the smell being so overwhelming that it was hard to breathe. My uncle used to drink Falstaff beer when I was a kid and that beer smelled like they used a lot of hops to brew it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 am 
Hunter

WAYNO wrote:
How about hops? Just nubbins now, but soon they will climb to the top of the strings just in time to be cut down and used to make beer taste bad. :?

I agree a little hops goes a long way in beer. Can’t wait to see the new pics. I didn’t know they grew so fast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:47 pm 
Hunter

Which fields are you taking the pics of??? I go through them in both the valley here at home, and all around Yakima and Sunnyside when I am on the road. I have noticed different growth rates between the areas but also between fields just a few miles apart.

Funny thing about this "Beer" talk. I stumbled onto both Hamms and Olympia beer in 6 pack cans this week. No idea where or who is making it??? I bought a 6er of each for the kids graduation next week. Thinking it is time he learned what a good old fashioned working mans beer tastes like. I remember more than 1 neighborhood dad that had at least a 6 pack a day Oly habit when I was a kid.

Hamms---From the land of sky blue waters

Olympia---Its the water

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 pm 
Hawkeye

AJGUNNER wrote:
Which fields are you taking the pics of??? I go through them in both the valley here at home, and all around Yakima and Sunnyside when I am on the road. I have noticed different growth rates between the areas but also between fields just a few miles apart.

Funny thing about this "Beer" talk. I stumbled onto both Hamms and Olympia beer in 6 pack cans this week. No idea where or who is making it??? I bought a 6er of each for the kids graduation next week. Thinking it is time he learned what a good old fashioned working mans beer tastes like. I remember more than 1 neighborhood dad that had at least a 6 pack a day Oly habit when I was a kid.

Hamms---From the land of sky blue waters

Olympia---Its the water

These hop fields are between Butteville and Newberg. I know different fields in different areas grow at different rates. The fields outside Mt. Angel are taller.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 am 
Single-Sixer

Just like apples, there are many varieties of hops. They grow at different rates.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 pm 
Hawkeye

June 9th...Same field, and many of the plants are at the top wire. Now they'll fill in and it will be a solid mass of vegetation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 am 
Blackhawk

Mike Armstrong wrote:
I'm no beer snob, but for me IPAs are the thing, and the hoppier the better..

I couldn't agree more. I don't drink beer, I drink IPA's

Great pics. Madison County NY used to be hop central prior to prohibition. You can still find some plants that have remained w
Growing wild in the abandoned farms when summertime scouting. Be cool to propagate them and see how they would turn out.