medium frame 41 Mg.?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'd rather see Ruger legitimize the .41Spl. It wouldn't have to be limited to powder puff factory loads like the .44Spl. It could be rated up to 1200fps.

smith1961

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
I'd rather see Ruger legitimize the .41Spl. It wouldn't have to be limited to powder puff factory loads like the .44Spl. It could be rated up to 1200fps.

Craig,
I appreciate that sentiment, but it'll be more than just a Ruger thing. SAAMI comes first to standardize the cartridge right?

Sugar River

Buckeye
Someone in the industry, like Ruger or an ammo company, has to sponsor (pay for) the lab work to standardize a new cartridge/chamber. That work can be done by SAAMI or by the sponsor and then blessed by SAAMI.

I have a feeling that the 41 mid frame and 41 Vaquero along with 41 Special are going to stay the result of the custom route. Luckily it doesn't cost that much to do either conversion. There is just not enough of us 41 freaks to get a manufacturer to foot the expense of the initial outlay for such changes. That said, some recent playing with both mid framed 41 Specials and the TLa guns has led to some neat findings. Lets just say a 41 Special round loaded with a 265 grain LFN cast bullet is a very effective combo in both a mid framed 41 Special or a full sized TLA 41 mag.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Robb Barnes said:
I have a feeling that the 41 mid frame and 41 Vaquero along with 41 Special are going to stay the result of the custom route. Luckily it doesn't cost that much to do either conversion. There is just not enough of us 41 freaks to get a manufacturer to foot the expense of the initial outlay for such changes. That said, some recent playing with both mid framed 41 Specials and the TLa guns has led to some neat findings. Lets just say a 41 Special round loaded with a 265 grain LFN cast bullet is a very effective combo in both a mid framed 41 Special or a full sized TLA 41 mag.

Do tell.....I'm just beginning to experiment with loads for my mid-frame. How is the recoil in the mid-frame? I had to change the grips on my Lil' Ruger, the grips Andy made are just too small for me.

It is snappy with the charge of A9 powder I was using but I was shooting it in a L'il Gun Andy made for me and it was not uncomfortable at all. Granted, 5 grains of Unique is a more gentle load but the little 4" 41 Special he built on an old model 357 with his round butt grip frame treatment handled all the various 41 Special loads I shot well. I will be experimenting next with that same heavy bullet in other loadings to see if it shoots just as well but with less recoil.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
The 41 mag is darn near perfect for the "357" frame ruger...
My "Poor man's Keith No 5" shoots so well I could want for little else.
The Mondago is just about a perfect PPP.
Like the 44 mag or 454 , the 41 has little need for super heavy bullets [ and I have an SSK 295gr mold]
The 170ish are very fast and flat shooting, the 210 will do most anything ,and the 230 will do the rest.. [the 295 gr -- maybe elefant!!!]

smith1961

Blackhawk
Robb Barnes said:
I have a feeling that the 41 mid frame and 41 Vaquero along with 41 Special are going to stay the result of the custom route. Luckily it doesn't cost that much to do either conversion. There is just not enough of us 41 freaks to get a manufacturer to foot the expense of the initial outlay for such changes.

Robb!
You're my kindred-spirit-internet-brother when it come to .41's. But if Lipsey's can have Ruger do the Single Seven #8165, for the up and down .327, then a .41 middie or vaquero can't be difficult to do.

I tried to talk the Lipseys rep I go it last week but the issue of volume was the hang up, not feasibility. Apparently there has been sine other special order set ups where stuff just sat on the shelves so I can understand the reluctance.

dixie884

Blackhawk
I wonder how many units it would take to get a run made. would 500 do the trick? Has anyone got an idea how many units were in the original Flat Top .44 special mid frame order that got the mid frame train going?

JStacy

Blackhawk
I'm not sure what you would call a GP100 frame size but Ruger has a GP100 in 10MM. The 10 is not a 41 mag but still a good round that you can load up or down for what ever you want to use it for .

dixie884

Blackhawk
GP100 is a double action. That hole in my collection is filled with a .41spl 686 by Clements and I bought a GP100 converted to 10mmm by Clements from pace cars on this forum.... What I really want is a .41spl 50th anniversary frame from the Ruger factory. They won't chamber to a non SAAMI caliber, so I will settle for a .41magnum.............

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Perhaps the easiest and least expensive way to make a .41 Spl GP100 would be to ream the 10mm cylinder for .41 Spl cartridges and load with 10mm (.400") bullets; which is mostly only hand loaded anyway.

The same with the .40 S&W and 10mm Blackhawks.

5of7

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
Perhaps the easiest and least expensive way to make a .41 Spl GP100 would be to ream the 10mm cylinder for .41 Spl cartridges and load with 10mm (.400") bullets; which is mostly only hand loaded anyway.

Sounds easy, but I am not sure that the bullets would seat snugly in a .41 Sp. case being .010" smaller than the case was designed for...no?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
Hondo44 said:

Sounds easy, but I am not sure that the bullets would seat snugly in a .41 Sp. case being .010" smaller than the case was designed for...no?

If that turns out to be the case, after resizing cases, I'd skip the case expansion step and seat the bullets. Or pull the expansion plug out of the die, spin it in a drill, and sand it down a bit so it doesn't overly expand the case for the .010" smaller 10mm bullets.

dixie884

Blackhawk
I really don't understand why Ruger wants to make all the mid-bore ctgs available in the large frame, only. .40, 10mm .41spl even the various .32s. The FT mid-frame is a natural for all these rnds........

Latest posts