Where have all the stainless P89's gone?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I used to see them all over Gunbroker, in local pawn shops and gun shops as recently as early last year. Are folks snatching them up lately? Would be nice to have a spare P89DC stainless. If you want a metal frame DA/SA hammer-fired 9mm like many of us grew up with, there aren't a lot of new production offerings out there. I have visions of one or two folks here with thousands of them lovingly stored in an underground vault. Sort of like those of us who want every Old Army we see.... Hmmm. I'll keep looking. Don

I think they are propping doors open. America has a lot of doors.

In spite of them being robust and dependable, their resale values are not particularly high. So instead of offering them up on the used market, some folks see a higher value by keeping them as a nightstand gun.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Door propping (grin). Such an ignoble use of a fine and classic weapon. A weapon for a more civilized time....
I'm a patient man. One will prop up----I mean pop up------ some time in my travels! Don

Shoehead1958

Bearcat
Ironically, I picked up one about a year ago. Young man had inherited it from his dad. Purchased new and never fired! I put two mags through it and it now resides in my truck. Love it!

Tallbald

Buckeye
Bought one scarcely used in 97(?) from a friend that my 12 year old son quickly earmarked as his "one day". He got it at age 21, and it came home to me on loan maybe 6 years ago. Need (want really) one of my own..... again. I'll keep watching. Don

black1970

Blackhawk
Found one at a gun show on a used gun table. Good shape with 2 mags,250 OTD. Bought a P90 also almost new with box and mags for the same price. If you want a slick piece try to find a KP93. I truly believe that people in their 60's and 70's that had the P series Rugers years ago are looking to buy them back after seeing what kind of offerings are on the market today.

hittman

Staff member
Not stainless or a DC gun but ..... summitgunbroker.com has a blued P89 for $245.00.

He SAYS it's a de-cocker but it's not ..... a common mistake from the non-Ruger folks. It clearly says only P89 on the left side of the slide.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thank you all. And Hittman for the link. I really prefer stainless because of my hobby. Sweating in our Southern humidity. Not a cure-all, but helpful for me. Don

walnut777

Bearcat
I have a P89DC stainless. I bought it from a pawn shop in mint condition about 16 years ago. I swapped out the springs with wolf hammer springs and wolf recoil springs. Hogue wrap around rubber grips. It has always shot flawlessly. Im sure back in the day I have put several thousand rounds down range. I still get it out and take it to the range once in awhile. Once in awhile I still conceal carry it. It was my carry gun for many years. Still my favorite semi auto of all the guns I own or have ever owned. I work for a pawn shop for the past 2 years. I have seen 2 come through. They do seem to have become a little more rare.

gunman42782

Hunter
Here's a few on gunbroker:
https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firearms/search?Keywords=stainless%20P89&Sort=13

triaxle

Bearcat
I still run into real good buys on the older Ruger guns but I see the pries going up . You are right the gun shops do not want to give any thing for them , but if they get one its gone quickly.

triaxle

Bearcat
They keep going up for a clean one . I just saw a stainless P 89 with 4 mags for 369. I almost took it but have two blued ones one mint and a well used that came in old orange card board box .

tercel89

Single-Sixer
triaxle said:
They keep going up for a clean one . I just saw a stainless P 89 with 4 mags for 369. I almost took it but have two blued ones one mint and a well used that came in old orange card board box .

I have been fighting with myself for the last week about trying to not buy a mint never shot Stainless P89 new in box made from 2005 . It is $399 . That's a lot of money but DAYUMMMMM it's sweet !

Latest posts