Interesting tidbit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Varminterror, is it even possible for you to respond to the simple question "Am I wrong?" without your smart aleck comments? We're sharing information in the Ruger Revolvers section of the Forum. You might want to stick to sharing information without belittling other members comments with your superior than thou attitude.

In case you havn't noticed, you're the only one who's responded like that in this thread, and you've done it twice.

Rclark

Hunter
Touchy? :)

Anyway, they could stamp the serial #s every square inch of the gun (grip frame, barrel, cylinder, cylinder frame, pawl, trigger, etc.) and the only one that matters is the one on the side of the cylinder frame.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Yes, Cholo, you are wrong.

I don't have much tolerance for fear-mongering, nor for propagation of untruths, either of which is what you're doing. So take the information given to you in this thread - adding extra serial numbers on firearm parts will not force any addition parts to become Title 1 firearms, subsequently requiring FFL involvement or 4473 FTR's.

The ATF has never looked to the manufacturers to be told which part is the receiver, colloquially dubbed, "the gun." The post above which suggests the advice, "the part with the serial number is the gun," has NEVER been the advice of the ATF, and would only be the BAD advice of someone not sufficiently knowledgeable to give it.

The ATF instructs manufactures on where the serial number must be placed. If the manufacturer satisfies that, the ATF doesn't care where else it might appear. Having the same number extra places doesn't change anything in their ruling or definition of component parts.

Glocks have had serial numbers on barrels and slides for decades. Many bolt rifles used to have serial numbers stamped into the inlet channel. Revolver makers, Ruger included, have scribed digits of the serial into cranes and cylinders for decades as well. None of these things have ever affected their legal status as a component vs. Title 1 firearm. The laser engraving on the barrel is new for Ruger, but it's not new, and it won't affect any ATF requirements.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I believe varminterror and rclark are absolutely, 100% correct.

Many firearms have been manufactured with various parts serialized. But the ATF directed part (usually receiver) is the ONLY part that matters.

As someone stated, you could put the serial number on every single part, including the screws, and it wouldn't matter.

Going from the Mark II and III to the Mark IV, didn't Ruger relocate the serial number to make everyone happier?

Something about the serial number on the barrel of the II's and III's made it hard or impossible to send via the post office without an FFL.

But now, in reading this thread, it makes it sound like I can mail a serial numbered barrel through the Post Office? The receiver part of the Mark II gun doesn't have a serial number on it.

NikA

Buckeye
The receiver of Ruger Standard and Mark .22 pistols per the ATF is the cylindrical tube that includes the barrel and where the bolt rides. To my knowledge, this is and always has been a serialized part of these guns. The "frame" with the fire controls is not serialized and can be sent through USPS without restriction.

I don't know if it's possible to separate the barrel on most Mark .22 pistols from the receiver. I was of the impression that they are at very least a press fit, if not manufactured as a single piece. The more recent pistols with aluminum uppers I believe have a removable steel barrel liner, although I remember reading something from Ruger that specifically advised against removing it.

In short, I don't think anything has changed re: which part of the Ruger Mark pistols is legally the firearm.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
"Something about the serial number on the barrel of the II's and III's made it hard or impossible to send via the post office without an FFL."

The USPS can only be used to ship handguns by FFL dealers. C&R holders can not mail handguns. Non FFL holders can mail long guns to FFL holders.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
@kevin - you must be confusing different models and activities. The Mark I, II, III, and IV pistols all have the serial number on the right side of the tubular "upper" receiver, forward of the ejection port. Equally, there's nothing the postmaster ever sees of a firearm, whether shipped via USPS or contract carrier.

jebstuart

Single-Sixer
My word! This is much hubbub over absolutely nothing. Most of the stuff I collect has a serial number on all of the "hand fitted" parts. The entire number if space allows and the last digit or two as a minimum - screws, barrels, bolts, stocks, butt plates, sights, triggers, etc., etc........

I'm not the sharpest bulb in the knife.....box..er....wait, it goes...ah....well, never mind.

I just don't understand what all the excitement is about.

Huh, I guess I did have it wrong about the Mark IV serial numbers. I thought I remembered reading about Ruger moving the location to make it easier for replacement uppers to be bought and sold online.

I only have Mark II's and have only seen the 4's under glass at the store, never held one yet. Too tempted to buy one if I did....

edlmann

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
Hmmm, it seems to me that if your gun has a serial # on the barrel you'll have to ship that part to an FFL. It wouldn't affect me, but I can see it affecting a lot of our Forum members. Am I wrong?
You are wrong.
Many European guns have serial numbers on many parts. Only the frame or receiver is the firearm.

Johnnu2

Hunter
just an FYI.... I contacted a vendor on Gunbroker who was selling barrels for Ruger Mk pistols because he required shipping of the barrel to and FFL; and then checked an aftermakret website that sells parts etc, and they all seem to require shipping of their barrels for the Ruger Mk pistols to an FFL.... when I specifically inquired "why", they said it was 'serial numbered'. Here is the page from one of the aftermarket sellers "rimfire sports"; you'll notice that it says "must be shipped to an FFL".... http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2LLV-4&Category_Code=VC2
Just an FYI from an innocent bystander...
J

Sugar River

Buckeye
Sigh....... here we go again.
The MK barrels must ship to an FFL because the barrels are attached to the receivers, which is the serialized part.
:roll:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Johnnu2 said:
just an FYI.... I contacted a vendor on Gunbroker who was selling barrels for Ruger Mk pistols because he required shipping of the barrel to and FFL; and then checked an aftermakret website that sells parts etc, and they all seem to require shipping of their barrels for the Ruger Mk pistols to an FFL.... when I specifically inquired "why", they said it was 'serial numbered'. Here is the page from one of the aftermarket sellers "rimfire sports"; you'll notice that it says "must be shipped to an FFL".... http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2LLV-4&Category_Code=VC2
Just an FYI from an innocent bystander...
J

What you are calling a "barrel" is the barreled action. That's the receiver, the serialized firearm itself.

Rimfire Sports

Bearcat
Going from the Mark II and III to the Mark IV, didn't Ruger relocate the serial number to make everyone happier?

Something about the serial number on the barrel of the II's and III's made it hard or impossible to send via the post office without an FFL.

But now, in reading this thread, it makes it sound like I can mail a serial numbered barrel through the Post Office? The receiver part of the Mark II gun doesn't have a serial number on it.
The receiver on the Mark II, III, and IV is the part that the bolt goes into. The barrels are threaed into the receiver and it's highly unlikely that one can removed the barrel without marring the finish on the barrel. Tactical Solutions Pac-Lites and Volquartsen LLVs are not barrels either, they are barreled receivers. Unlike Glocks, the frame of Mark II, III, and IVs don't have serial numbers.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
My guesses-

Ruger wants to sell guns on the European market because in many European countries the barrel is "the gun".

Ruger is tired of fiddle-fracked guns coming in for repair with different barrels screwed on , so now they know if guns have been "fixed" with spare parts bought off Ebay. Or Ruger is tired of people parting guns out for $$

It's just inventory/matching control, to streamline fitting and production . Uberti has been serial number matching barrels and frames on blackpowder revolvers for decades

Latest posts