Got my Bisley Flattop .44 out today....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
After cutting grass around the range area I squeezed in some needed trigger time with
that sweet .44 Special. Had a fun time hitting cans and the steel plate rack.
Always a joy to shoot this one!
My loads where the Missouri Bullets 240 gr. coated bullets with 7 grs. Unique.
ahfy7fo.jpg

Mus408

Hunter
Thanks! It worked out that this one likes the same bullet that my Super Blackhawk .44 Mag and Henry
.44 Mag Carbine like as well.
Last time I had the Flattop out I brought along the Henry Carbine shooing same .44 Specials thru that.
That was some very fun plinking!

Mus408

Hunter
rkrcpa said:
Mus408 said:
rkrcpa said:
Is that a Blue Bisley hammer?

Should be as that's the way it came from Ruger.

The reason I ask is mine came from the factory with a stainless hammer. I had to send it in for repair and it came back with a blue hammer.

Was there an issue with the original hammer in the repair?
I think the blue hammer is a better match on a blue revolver. So it is the same style hammer but just plain blued steel?

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Several years ago Ruger stopped putting blue hammers on all of their handguns. I've seen blue hammers on the new bisley single sixes recently, but blue hammers are generally now a thing of the past with Ruger single actions. I just sent out final payment to another forum member for a slightly used 2011 vintage 5.5" flattop Bisley 44spl with a blue hammer. I just can't abide with a SS hammer on a blued or CCH'd gun. Yuck! You may have gotten back a blued hammer because an old stock part happened to be in the parts bin. I do hope Ruger starts putting blued hammers on blued guns again!

I believe all of the 520 prefix guns have blued hammers, while almost all 521 prefix guns have stainless hammers.

jebstuart

Single-Sixer
Mus408 said:
After cutting grass around the range area I squeezed in some needed trigger time with
that sweet .44 Special. Had a fun time hitting cans and the steel plate rack.
Always a joy to shoot this one!
My loads where the Missouri Bullets 240 gr. coated bullets with 7 grs. Unique.
ahfy7fo.jpg

Mus408,
I think I see some well done color added to the front sight. Can you tell me what that is and how it was done?
My eyes ain't get'in any younger.
Thanks

Mus408

Hunter
About that front sight....well guys hold on to your seat....just a piece of neatly cut yellow masking tape! :shock:
I did a quick job on the front sight while I had it down at my range.
Later I removed tape and used white paint.

On my 240 gr. Missouri coated bullet load... I haven't run them across the Chrony yet.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Black ramped front sights are some of the worst, especially shooting at a black target. I am using 'custom' targets consisting of a 6 inch circle that isn't filled. Just an outline of a circle. Black sights work just fine against a white target. I have it saved as a .jpg file and I print them out as I need them. Very little ink is used.

jebstuart

Single-Sixer
andyo5 said:
Black ramped front sights are some of the worst, especially shooting at a black target. I am using 'custom' targets consisting of a 6 inch circle that isn't filled. Just an outline of a circle. Black sights work just fine against a white target. I have it saved as a .jpg file and I print them out as I need them. Very little ink is used.

Handy hint:
Next time you have the file open, save a copy as .pdf. It's more stable, much less memory so opens and closes quickly and will likely use even less toner for the same quality. Use the .jpg only to edit/make changes to the file, then save again as a .pdf for use.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
Mus, I like that color on the front sight. I don't seem capable of being nearly so accurate when applying paint.

What do you anticipate the velocity of that load being?
. Bear Paw, Hobby Lobby has paint pens with very fine tips. Like a fine, tipped ball point pen. This paint is removed with rubbing alcohol. I used one in gold paint to do lettering on my blue Rugers.

PhantomWolf

Bearcat
I saw this recommendation on another forum for "highlighting" front sights and used it on my .44 Super Black Hawk, it's excellent!
"Salon Perfect" brand, #506 "Traffic Cone" nail polish from Wal-Mart. The front sight really stands out now.
I applied 2 light coats and it worked perfect for me.

Mus408

Hunter
PhantomWolf said:
I saw this recommendation on another forum for "highlighting" front sights and used it on my .44 Super Black Hawk, it's excellent!
"Salon Perfect" brand, #506 "Traffic Cone" nail polish from Wal-Mart. The front sight really stands out now.
I applied 2 light coats and it worked perfect for me.

That's a great idea!