I really tried to like my Bisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRanger

Blackhawk
Being a fan of the .44 Special, I bought one of the Ruger Bisley Blackhawks in that chambering a couple of years ago. I thought I would like it; but after a year of shooting the gun, I had to admit that Bisley-style grip frame just did not suit me. Guess I'm just accustomed to the Colt-style. The gun also exhibited mediocre accuracy. Trying different loads didn't help much. A couple of my most accurate revolvers have been Rugers, so this was a further disappointment. I wound up selling it at no loss, so there is apparently continued demand for them. Hopefully, the new owner will be happier with it.
A local shop has a three-screw Blackhawk in nice shape I may pick up as a replacement. It's a .357, but could always be converted to .44 Special I suppose.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Chamber throats were .431. I was shooting .430 bullets for the most part. Tried bullets of harder and softer alloy. Didn't seem to make much difference. A favorite .44 Special load using the Speer LSWC shot spectacularly in my 50th anniversary.44 Magnum Blackhawk. Not the Bisley. Bottom line is I just couldn't warm up to the gun. Many people love the Bisley grip frame, but it's just not for me. Never felt quite right.

contender

Ruger Guru
While the Bisley g/f is an excellent choice for many,, it's NOT a "One size fits all." As an instructor,, I've always said,, "Get a grip to fit YOUR hands." In this case,, it doesn't fit you. You have made a wise choice.
Now,, go get that OM & enjoy!

Nick B

Bearcat
OK I gotta ask because I've mostly owned Ruger semi autos .
What do you mean by OM ?

tom black

Blackhawk
My big old hands love the Bisley and the SBH Dragoon. I've got three of the Bisley FT 44 Specials, one in each barrel length, they are my favorite NM, each is wonderfully accurate. It's a bummer yours didn't shoot well.
Tom Black

TRanger

Blackhawk
tom black said:
My big old hands love the Bisley and the SBH Dragoon. I've got three of the Bisley FT 44 Specials, one in each barrel length, they are my favorite NM, each is wonderfully accurate. It's a bummer yours didn't shoot well.
Tom Black

Well, we all get one that doesn't work out now and then. On the whole, I've been extremely fortunate with most gun purchases. And I'm not laying all the blame on the revolver. I'm sure the fact it wasn't a good fit contributed to the problem.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Nick B said:
What do you mean by OM ?

The first Ruger revolvers used the traditional Colt style action where if a round was under the hammer, the firing pin was resting on a live primer, which is a BIG safety hazard. With the traditional action, you load five chambers and then leave an empty chamber under the hammer. The Old Models have three screws in the side of the frame. The only exception is the Bearcat, which has two screws. The New Model Ruger single actions, introduced in 1973, have two pins and a transfer bar and these revolvers can be fully loaded. The is no need to leave an empty chamber under the hammer.

Now, there is another term to be aware of. When Cowboy Action Shooting became popular, Ruger introduced the Vaquero models. These revolvers have a fixed notch rear sight, similar to the old Colt Single Action Armies, instead of the adjustable rear sight that comes on the Blackhawks. These Vaqueros were all built on the larger .44 frames.

Go forward a few years. These cowboy shooters kept asking Ruger for a midsized frame, like the first Blawkhawk, Vaquero. Ruger did so and called these mid sized frame fixed sighted revolvers the "New Vaqueros". You will hear and read folks, especially cowboy shooters, calling the large frame Vaqueros the "Old Model Vaqueros".

Confused yet? :)

Rclark

Hunter
The Bisley grip frame. I don't dislike it. I just seem to gravitate to the plow handle more often. As for the .44 Special flattops, mine seem to shoot very well no matter what load I put in them. Out of all the powder tests I ran, there was only one or two that I discarded. Got lucky I guess. Now my .45s, I have a couple where I had to clean them up to shoot well (throats reamed, forcing cone set to 11 degrees, and fire lapping) and then hunt for good loads. Good action job just put the icing on the cake.

Good luck with your next purchase.

Mus408

Hunter
Well have to say I love my Bisley .44 Special and it loves my 240 gr./7 gr. Unique loads!
ahfy7fo.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Nick B said:
What do you mean by OM ?

OM is Old Model, a Three Screw Blackhawk or Single Six. Also, lacking the transfer bar, u less retrofitted.

Bob Wright