8 Round Revolver Buying

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CZReverend

Bearcat
Good evening ladies and gents, I am currently in a dilemma of having some extra money in the gun budget this month and next on my list is an 8 round 357 double action revolver. While out looking at some S&W Performance Center 627's today, I came across a Redhawk, but with the shorter 2.5in barrel. I saw that it is also offered in the 4.2in.

I have GP's and SP's and a load of single actions. Never messed with the Redhawk. Anyone own one of the 8 rounders? How do you like it, pros and cons?

Thanks!

I don't own an 8 rounder but I do have a pair of the 6 rounders. The best part about them is with all the extra weight they carry, you can shoot even the stoutest 357 and it will only feel like you are shooting 38 practice rounds. Probably a bit on the heavy side for daily carry but at least you won't ever have to worry about breaking it. :)

Oh ya, they also don't have that stupid worthless hole in the side that S&W continues to put out.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own a few Redhawks,, including an older 6 shot 357. I have not owned one of the 8 shot ones yet,, so my experiences is limited to the ones I do own.
I feel they are superior in strength & quality over most others. Yes,, the 8 shot guns have their place,, and S&W does make a nice gun. But that hole in the side and the infernal,, eerr,, internal parts does bother many of us. The Redhawk has a great history of quality.
Yes,, it may be heavier than the S&W,, but with weight,,, come better recoil control.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Don't pass up a look at the Super GP-100, 8 shot 357. It's another Ruger that is an eight shot. My eight shot is a 3.5" Classic M27 PC revolver with the stupid hole in the side. Bob! :D

CZReverend

Bearcat
I went and handled both again. The trigger, fit and finish of the Smith sold me. It's my only Smith. As I was about to check out they were taking in a Dan Wesson 15-2 with some GORGEOUS bluing. Was able to grab that too. Expensive day.

Did I mention the stainless bearcat shopkeeper :lol: :shock:

RedHawks are a fine revolver imo everyone should have at least one! You will not
regret it. As mentioned they do have a bit of weight to them that's because they are built like tanks and probably as tough! ps

CZReverend

Bearcat
BDM1 said:
Sure wish i could have a dilemma like that!

Ha, it is not often, but sometimes the bonus is decent!

powder smoke said:
RedHawks are a fine revolver imo everyone should have at least one! You will not
regret it. As mentioned they do have a bit of weight to them that's because they are built like tanks and probably as tough! ps

I like the revolver but the grip is holding me back.

I'd like to see and fondle one of the new Super GPs. I'm not in love with the "race ready" barrel shroud but that might change later on. I like the combination of the better qualities of the Redhawk and the Super Redhawk.

CZReverend

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
I'd like to see and fondle one of the new Super GPs. I'm not in love with the "race ready" barrel shroud but that might change later on. I like the combination of the better qualities of the Redhawk and the Super Redhawk.

Ale I agree with this 100%. Would love to get my hands on one of these and see how it feels and compare trigger pull to the 627 Performance Center I just bought.

Any idea on ETA when these will be available?

silverback

Blackhawk
CZReverend said:
I went and handled both again. The trigger, fit and finish of the Smith sold me. It's my only Smith. As I was about to check out they were taking in a Dan Wesson 15-2 with some GORGEOUS bluing. Was able to grab that too. Expensive day.

Always been interested in one of those dan wessons. How much did it cost you ? Never see them here.

I know you're speaking of RedHawks and Smith's. My only 8-Round revolver is the 327 single action Blackhawk. I like the 8 round design. Those two extra shots always make me feel special somehow. But I do have to admit, I often forget about them and realize it after unloading.

But congrats on the two new guns! Sounds like some fun times at the range in your future.

CZReverend

Bearcat
silverback said:
CZReverend said:

Always been interested in one of those dan wessons. How much did it cost you ? Never see them here.

The Dan Wesson is awesome! Got it for 350. Hard to pass up

silverback

Blackhawk
CZReverend said:
silverback said:
CZReverend said:

The Dan Wesson is awesome! Got it for 350. Hard to pass up

Cant wait to hear range report

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I shoot a S&W PC Model 627 5" .357 (but only with .38 Short Colt ammo) in ICORE, USPSA, and steel plate competitions. Love it. Same for my M625 .45ACP.

Love my Ruger SA revolvers, but when it comes to DA revolvers, its S&W all the way for me.

CZReverend

Bearcat
Well I got an email today for Davidson's saying the Super GP-100 was in stock (it is not any longer, went quick). Between 1170-1270 plus tax and fees, which puts it at $100 more base price than I paid for the Smith. Would love to shoot these side by side and compare.