Shared parts between Ruger Old Army and old model Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ClemBert

Bearcat
Curious to know where you could find a list of gun parts that are common between the two, obviously the grip frame but what about things like screws, springs, clock works, sights, etc.

The old model Blackhawk had the three screws and no transfer bar mechanism unlike the new model so I would expect many common parts.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Many parts are shared. Of course hammers are different. Not sure on pawl. And I have both models. Grips, screws, and springs are same. Rear sights interchange.

contender

Ruger Guru
Get two manuals. One for the OA during the OM era,, and one for the OM Blackhawk. Then you can cross reference part numbers.

G2

Hunter
Easy list.
Screws, grip & action, same.
Springs, same, with the note that the strut spring on the OA is stronger, however some prefer and made the switch into their Blackhawk.
Strut/ seat, same.
Pawl is different. Pawl plunger, same.
Trigger, same
Cylinder Latch, same.
Hammer, different. *** Hammer plunger/ spring/ pin, same.
Sights, yes (no bump)
Grip Frame, same.
NOTE: Early OA aluminum XR3-RED grip frame w/ standard trigger or
Brass MR3-DB w/ wide Super trigger.
Later OA had steel XR3-RED w/ wide Super trigger.

Want to be a kitchen table gunsmith this is very helpful and answers most questions. This is a Amazon link but it's availble from many different sources, a good add on to get you over the free freight or discount threshold.

The Ruger Single Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Volumes 1 & 2 Paperback – 2003

https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Single-Action-Revolvers-Volumes/dp/B000KMTGDA

ClemBert

Bearcat
G2 said:
Easy list.
Screws, grip & action, same.
Springs, same, with the note that the strut spring on the OA is stronger, however some prefer and made the switch into their Blackhawk.
Strut/ seat, same.
Pawl is different. Pawl plunger, same.
Trigger, same
Cylinder Latch, same.
Hammer, different. *** Hammer plunger/ spring/ pin, same.
Sights, yes (no bump)
Grip Frame, same.
NOTE: Early OA aluminum XR3-RED grip frame w/ standard trigger or
Brass MR3-DB w/ wide Super trigger.
Later OA had steel XR3-RED w/ wide Super trigger.

Want to be a kitchen table gunsmith this is very helpful and answers most questions. This is a Amazon link but it's availble from many different sources, a good add on to get you over the free freight or discount threshold.

The Ruger Single Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Volumes 1 & 2 Paperback – 2003

https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Single-Action-Revolvers-Volumes/dp/B000KMTGDA

Hey, thanks! Very comprehensive list you've made. :D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
ClemBert said:
Curious to know where you could find a list of gun parts that are common between the two, obviously the grip frame but what about things like screws, springs, clock works, sights, etc.

Yep, G2's list is excellent and comprehensive.

NOTES:

The OA pawl only has the top step but not the 2nd step of the cartridge gun pawl.

Also the parts interchangeability work for the Single Six .22, not just the Blackhawk.

Just FYI: firearms have lockwork but no "clock works".

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Yes, they will. If you tell Ruger you want sights for an OA, they will not help you. You have to give serial number from a NM Blackhawk that is still in production. I needed grip frame screws for an OA of mine. Could not get them! Gave a request for same part under NM BH and that was fine.

I would like to resurrect this thread with a question. Could I convert an "Old Model Blackhawk" to shoot percussion exactly like the "Old Army"?
What about an older "Ruger Vaquero" in 45Colt.
I would like to trade in my ignorance for some knowledge.

NikA

Buckeye
Reactions: K3N
It seems everyone wants to go the other direction.
I am very grateful for the link that led to another link that has a very enterprising B.P. Firearm using a 357 magnum converted to B.P. As of Feb. 13 2023 the Europeans are doing some interesting things. Britarms .357" Muzzle Loading Revolver
https://www.westlakeengineering.com/products/

Somehow I was led to believe that the Old Army was originally built off of the "Old Model Blackhawk" so it did not seem like such a stretch.

Perhaps some new percussion firearms will come to market. In the mean time I will continue look for R.O.A. in interesting flavors.