Need price help for a NIB Stainless Old Army Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GOG

Bearcat
I hate to ask, but prices are all over the place. It's NIB, stainless, 7.5", adjustable sights and has the paper goodies. The box is frayed on the edges but still has the end label.
Manufacture date is 1982.

Next question, would you shoot it? That's my dilemma now. Do I leave it as is & pass it on to a collector, or should my deplorable self use it as it was intended?

Thank you in advance.

48flyer

Single-Sixer
Need more info to accurately give an estimate.
Barrel length?
Fixed or adjustable sights?
Year of manufacture?
They are technically not making them anymore, although "clean up" runs occasionally happen.
It will ultimately be up to you to decide what you want to pay for it. I picked up a used, polished 5 1/2 stainless at Tulsa for $400 last year.... I have seen new examples of the same, for sale in the $1200 range

GOG

Bearcat
Thank you.
I bought it on a board I'm on and I'll pick it up Saturday. It's 7.5" as best I can tell from the pics and has adjustable sights.
I should be talking to the seller later today and I'll get the number then & double check the length. It could possibly be shorter, but I don't think so.

GOG

Bearcat
Me too, I only have shooters but this came up & it was too nice to let it pass by.
Now I'm having second thoughts if it should be shot or go to a collector.
I've had plenty of Ruger single actions, mostly old models but this is my first Old Army.
In fact I've never even seen one in person and Saturday will be the first time. It's been on my wishlist for years, but I never really thought I'd get one.

Anyway, I'm old and I believe in preserving history so I want to do the right thing.

Rclark

Hunter
Sounds like the more common OAs. I would think it would be going for 500-600 range now (my guess). I have a couple of them myself.

My answer is ... use it as Ruger intended it to be used and enjoy it. My opinion only of course!

GOG

Bearcat
Okay knowing what I know now, it needs to meet the Holy Black.

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it.

I haven't fired BP in twenty years or so, so I'm brushing up.

GOG said:
Okay, knowing what I know now it needs to meet the Holy Black.

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it.

I haven't fired BP in twenty years or so, so I'm brushing up.

FWIW, I've had excellent results using #11 Remington caps with my Old Army revolvers. That's a bonus, since they're the most widely available caps in my area.

My (first :p) Old Army was my first BP gun. The previous owner was kind of evasive as to how much he had shot it. He gave me a "snail" style capper full of unknown caps, which I tried to use. I got one misfire after another- the cap would go off, but my Pyrodex would not ignite. I would get 1-2 shots to go off, per cylinder. The second time around the cylinder, most of the remaining would go. Sometimes, they would take a third strike.

I tried a tin of Remington #11 caps I had bought, and got nearly 100% success. I immediately noticed how nicely the caps slipped on the nipples.

Long story short- the caps from the previous owner were too small. The repeated hammer strikes would fully seat the caps, then they'd go "bang." I didn't know any better, as it was my first BP gun- but I learned in a hurry!

I've always wondered if the previous owner's frustration with ill-fitting caps is what led him to sell it at such an attractive price. I'm appreciative, regardless! :mrgreen:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Uncle Howie, I bet those first caps were #10. When Ruger came out with 77/50's, those breech plugs took #10's. I use the red Scotch Brite pads to clean and polish nipples.

GOG

Bearcat
Things changed and I picked it up this morning. The pistol's perfect, the box not so much. It came with the manual and the factory nipple wrench, a set of spare nipples, a nipple pick and some wads.

Now I'm waiting for the big brown truck to deliver the stuff I need to shoot it.

GOG

Bearcat
Now I'm jealous. Great deal.

I ordered a Taylor's conversion cylinder last night.
The ability to shoot cartridges & BP could be useful in a SHTF situation.