Ruger P345 Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
I don't believe the "design flaw" comments at all. The extra safety is an effort to idiot-proof a deadly weapon in the hands of 99% of owners.
Presuming one had a billion-dollar factory with thousands of employees depending on your paycheck, and many thousands of stockholders financing your business, you'd probably demand your engineering dept put the extra safety in the product. And you'd probably insist the manual states that any functional modification of the product release the company from all liability (in big red lawyer letters).

YMMV.
You embellish the liability aspect which we all understand. However the "design flaw" comment is still valid. Not too many pistols with these safety features will quickly break the firing mechanism with just a little dry firing(with magazine removed). Ruger designers could have taken time to design the same safety feature that would not break the firing mechanism with dry firing.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Well, they did post a notice or three to specifically NOT dry fire the gun with the magazine removed, so why would it not be sufficient, expecting the owner to follow all instructions for a deadly weapon? Afterall the instruction ON THE GUN is to read and understand the manual before using the gun.
I maintain it is not a "design flaw".

Dry firing in defiance to the factory instructions is simply misuse of the firearm. Ignorance is no defense... RTFM, right?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
Well, they did post a notice or three to specifically NOT dry fire the gun with the magazine removed, so why would it not be sufficient, expecting the owner to follow all instructions for a deadly weapon? Afterall the instruction ON THE GUN is to read and understand the manual before using the gun.
I maintain it is not a "design flaw".

Dry firing in defiance to the factory instructions is simply misuse of the firearm. Ignorance is no defense... RTFM, right?

-as truthful as can be. Don't shoot the messenger. Dry firing in defiance of the factory instructions is simply misuse.
And anyone could disagree with that? THAT would be argumentative, not the statement of origin.

Mike J

Hunter
I remember the first time I saw handled a P 345. I thought it felt great. I came here to research it & found the "click no bang stories". That is a big part of the reason I never owned one of them or the SR series. There are some "safety" features I do not want.

loaded round

Hunter
Mike3: The Huger P345 is as safe as any other semi auto pistol if you follow the previous suggestions regarding removing the magazine safety. I wouldn't be using mine as my main home defense pistol if I was concerned about a misfire aka click, no bang. It's a good pistol and one can be purchased these days at a decent price.

Mike J

Hunter
Loaded Round-I know it can be removed. I just don't like the way it was designed. I could live with a mag disconnect if it wasn't such designed in a way that could cause damage to the pistol. The whole thing was a deal breaker for me. I still have my old .40 caliber P94 & plan on keeping it. I do have a Ruger .45 but it is the SR 1911.

loaded round

Hunter
Mike J: I do agree with you and have no intention of trying to change your mind. I do agree it was a bad design on Ruger's part, but not something that couldn't be correctable easily...which I did. Now I depend on it to defend my family and house if the need arises. Over400 rounds thru it to date w/o one failure (I am keeping Rosie O'Donnell of rounds fired) Peace Brother!

quote="Mike J"]Loaded Round-I know it can be removed. I just don't like the way it was designed. I could live with a mag disconnect if it wasn't such designed in a way that could cause damage to the pistol. The whole thing was a deal breaker for me. I still have my old .40 caliber P94 & plan on keeping it. I do have a Ruger .45 but it is the SR 1911.[/quote]

Mike J

Hunter
Peace to you too Loaded Round. We all make our choices & take our chances.

grobin

Blackhawk
IMHO the magazine safety should prevent auto renewal of obsolete magazines e.g. Wired; not have anything to do with guns.

Seriously it's dangerious-yes it can fail, and can cause a problem in a gun fight. But that's not the problem! It trains folks to depend too much on something that is not there in all guns, may malfunction, and to get out of the habit of doing it right and positively assuring that the gun is unloaded!

Latest posts