New Super GP-100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I posted this to stir things up a bit. I'm pretty sure those 6 45 degree angle slots on the barrel shroud increase muzzle velocity by a measurable amount. :mrgreen: As stated this is a performance center piece obviously built to compete with the similar S&W's. Now if we see any real world blue or SS models in other calibers remains to be seen. Bob!! :mrgreen:

hittman

Staff member
Bear Paw Jack said:
https://www.realguns.com/articles/1097.htm

Good info there.

Wonder why it's labeled GP100 and not Super Redhawk unless it's just because of the deletion of the extended frame part.

Now there's both L and N frame GP100's.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Honestly, I think Ruger got it right years ago with the GP100. We all have our preferences and mine is my 6in. stainless full lug model where I replaced the horrid looking Hogue grips which were made for hands bigger than mine with the original rosewood / rubber grips. 6 rounds is fine with me and honestly, there is not another centerfire handgun that would prefer. Just my humble opinion, but I suspect that there are others that agree...

Jim

s4s4u

Hunter
jimd441 said:
Honestly, I think Ruger got it right years ago with the GP100. We all have our preferences and mine is my 6in. stainless full lug model where I replaced the horrid looking Hogue grips which were made for hands bigger than mine with the original rosewood / rubber grips. 6 rounds is fine with me and honestly, there is not another centerfire handgun that would prefer. Just my humble opinion, but I suspect that there are others that agree...

Jim

Don't get me wrong, I love my GP-100, but I crave a slightly larger version in 45 Colt and hopefully this will lead to that.

hittman said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
https://www.realguns.com/articles/1097.htm

Good info there.

Wonder why it's labeled GP100 and not Super Redhawk unless it's just because of the deletion of the extended frame part.

Now there's both L and N frame GP100's.

I'd say because we all know what a GP100 looks like and we know what a Super Redhawk looks like and this way they have a NEW MODEL to sell with rather minimum really new design work. The general cylinder approach is right out of the LCR, and most of the current Redhawks use sleeve-and-tube barrels. I think it's a clever bit of parts shuffling. And yeah, you called it . . . L and N frame GPs.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Forest and trees??? While an 8-shot .357 is off my radar, I would've expected a better response. Many of us have wanted a Super Redhawk with a Redhawk style front end and here it is. Can something like this be around the corner?

Super%20Redhawk%2001.jpg

BrewsterII

Bearcat
"I'd say because we all know what a GP100 looks like and we know what a Super Redhawk looks like and this way they have a NEW MODEL to sell with rather minimum really new design work. The general cylinder approach is right out of the LCR, and most of the current Redhawks use sleeve-and-tube barrels. I think it's a clever bit of parts shuffling. And yeah, you called it . . . L and N frame GPs."

^^^ This exactly ^^^

Being that the GP100 7 shot was not a total success :roll:, the Super GP gives them an 8 shot with very little tooling envolved........ upping the 686 Plus by one shot.

But ......... Sorry Ruger, I won't be buying one. My Ruger's need to say "Sturm, Ruger" on the barrel.

"Forest and trees??? While an 8-shot .357 is off my radar, I would've expected a better response. Many of us have wanted a Super Redhawk with a Redhawk style front end and here it is. Can something like this be around the corner?"

I'd say that's a good bet.

:)

CraigC

Hawkeye
BrewsterII said:
But ......... Sorry Ruger, I won't be buying one. My Ruger's need to say "Sturm, Ruger" on the barrel.
Wait a minute, you're not buying a Ruger because they dropped the Sturm???

BrewsterII

Bearcat
CraigC said:
BrewsterII said:
Wait a minute, you're not buying a Ruger because they dropped the Sturm???

Well, I do have a newer GP100 without "Sturm" on the barrel and it seems to be a good firearm.

I guess the reason I say "Sturm Ruger" needs to be on the barrel is because of the lack of quality control displayed over the last few years.
I'm not one to buy into "the customer service is the best" train of thought. Customer service should be a given with any manufacturer, and used as the exception, not the rule.

IMHO, Ruger needs to fix what they CURRENTLY do to acceptable standards and THEN work on putting new models on the market. After several years, Ruger has displayed no effort to insure a firearm leaves the factory up to the standards that Sturm, Ruger built their reputation on.

As always, your mileage may vary. :)

BrewsterII said:
Ale-8(1) said:
BrewsterII said:

Are you certain this one DOESN'T say Sturm, Ruger & Co. on it somewhere?

:roll:

Quite sure. :)

Just for the sake of information, I'll ask how it is you are sure of that. Have you actually seen & handled one? If so, what was your opinion on fit, finish, etc?

I fully agree with the criticism addressed to the deletion of Sturm's name and the "S" from the trademark and various Ruger products. I miss the "S" in the medallions on all the new handguns, and believe it is considerably lacking in respect for the guy who coughed up the money to put Bill Ruger in business.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I have several Rugers from the last few years. One of which is one of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired. Freedom Arms accurate. IMHO, 99% of the issues people encounter could've been eliminated with a thorough inspection before filling out the 4473, which should be done with any firearm.

Good Lord, Alexander Sturm has been gone a long, long time. Sure, his investment was important in the beginning and it was an honorable thing for Bill Ruger to do to leave his name in there for as long as they did but let's get real. It ain't Sturm that made Ruger what it is today.

Every page on Ruger's website, all the Instruction Manuals (including the one for the new gun here in question) and in fact all my New Model guns carry the inscription of Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. I have no idea what team of lawyers thought it would be a good idea to remove the "S" from the trademark "Phoenix" symbol, but IMHO it was in the poorest of taste. Makes no difference how long Mr. Sturm has been gone, Henry Ford has been gone a long time, too, and yet his name still graces the hood/grille ornament of all the products of his namesake company.

I have bought some New Models with the "S-less" grip medallions, but I did so with a mental tip of my hat to Alexander Sturm . . . who designed the "Phoenix", by the way.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I dunno, I kind of like it, but I'd have to see it up close and personal. Of course some range reports also. Price is what it is, if yea like something well enough price can be paid. Good to see a company making a variety of choices.