RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Super GP-100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:23 pm 

Arisin' Wind wrote:
The barrel looks like a dirt trap.

.... and "tactical".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:56 pm 
Hawkeye

Is it meant to compete with some of the non traditional Smith and Wesson revolvers? Like their Performance Center 686? One of theirs has some sort of weighted barrel shroud.

I like it, but as others have mentioned, the peg grip does look very odd and out of place. It’s the first thing I noticed.

I kind of looks like Ruger is going for that “race gun” effect in the looks dept. I hope the gun is as accurate as can be to keep up with the looks.

I do hope there are more options to come. I’d buy one, except I just bought a Blackhawk yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:22 pm 
Hawkeye

It looks clunky, and eight rounds in a centerfire revolver just ugh!
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:11 pm 
Hawkeye

https://www.realguns.com/articles/1097.htm

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:22 pm 
Buckeye

I’ve always thought the regular GP-100 too heavy and chunky for my preference, preferring the Security Six sized revolvers for daily carry.

So a chunkier, heavier Super GP-100 isn’t really of interest to me. Especially at over $1000 price point.

“Everybody to their own taste, said the old woman as she kissed the cow”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:44 pm 
Buckeye

I posted this to stir things up a bit. I'm pretty sure those 6 45 degree angle slots on the barrel shroud increase muzzle velocity by a measurable amount. :mrgreen: As stated this is a performance center piece obviously built to compete with the similar S&W's. Now if we see any real world blue or SS models in other calibers remains to be seen. Bob!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:34 pm 

Bear Paw Jack wrote:

Good info there.

Wonder why it's labeled GP100 and not Super Redhawk unless it's just because of the deletion of the extended frame part.

Now there's both L and N frame GP100's.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:43 pm 
Blackhawk

Honestly, I think Ruger got it right years ago with the GP100. We all have our preferences and mine is my 6in. stainless full lug model where I replaced the horrid looking Hogue grips which were made for hands bigger than mine with the original rosewood / rubber grips. 6 rounds is fine with me and honestly, there is not another centerfire handgun that would prefer. Just my humble opinion, but I suspect that there are others that agree...

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:21 pm 
Hunter

jimd441 wrote:
Honestly, I think Ruger got it right years ago with the GP100. We all have our preferences and mine is my 6in. stainless full lug model where I replaced the horrid looking Hogue grips which were made for hands bigger than mine with the original rosewood / rubber grips. 6 rounds is fine with me and honestly, there is not another centerfire handgun that would prefer. Just my humble opinion, but I suspect that there are others that agree...

Jim

Don't get me wrong, I love my GP-100, but I crave a slightly larger version in 45 Colt and hopefully this will lead to that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:39 pm 
Hawkeye

hittman wrote:
Bear Paw Jack wrote:

Good info there.

Wonder why it's labeled GP100 and not Super Redhawk unless it's just because of the deletion of the extended frame part.

Now there's both L and N frame GP100's.

I'd say because we all know what a GP100 looks like and we know what a Super Redhawk looks like and this way they have a NEW MODEL to sell with rather minimum really new design work. The general cylinder approach is right out of the LCR, and most of the current Redhawks use sleeve-and-tube barrels. I think it's a clever bit of parts shuffling. And yeah, you called it . . . L and N frame GPs.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:55 am 
Hawkeye

Forest and trees??? While an 8-shot .357 is off my radar, I would've expected a better response. Many of us have wanted a Super Redhawk with a Redhawk style front end and here it is. Can something like this be around the corner?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:54 am 
Bearcat

"I'd say because we all know what a GP100 looks like and we know what a Super Redhawk looks like and this way they have a NEW MODEL to sell with rather minimum really new design work. The general cylinder approach is right out of the LCR, and most of the current Redhawks use sleeve-and-tube barrels. I think it's a clever bit of parts shuffling. And yeah, you called it . . . L and N frame GPs."

^^^ This exactly ^^^

Being that the GP100 7 shot was not a total success :roll:, the Super GP gives them an 8 shot with very little tooling envolved........ upping the 686 Plus by one shot.

But ......... Sorry Ruger, I won't be buying one. My Ruger's need to say "Sturm, Ruger" on the barrel.

I prefer my guns to be built to a "Standard" versus a "Price Point".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:58 am 
Hawkeye

"Forest and trees??? While an 8-shot .357 is off my radar, I would've expected a better response. Many of us have wanted a Super Redhawk with a Redhawk style front end and here it is. Can something like this be around the corner?"

I'd say that's a good bet.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am 
Hawkeye

BrewsterII wrote:
But ......... Sorry Ruger, I won't be buying one. My Ruger's need to say "Sturm, Ruger" on the barrel.

Wait a minute, you're not buying a Ruger because they dropped the Sturm???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 am 
Hawkeye

BrewsterII wrote:

Are you certain this one DOESN'T say Sturm, Ruger & Co. on it somewhere?

:roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next