New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pinshooter

Bearcat
It looks nice for the price, they are probably trying to get some of the market from the cheaper Heritage .22 that is in every Dunham's flyer I get. The Wrangler looks better than that one, too bad there is no adjustable sights, I have no use for a .22 that I can't sight in and I already have a single six .22/.22Mag.

jjas

Single-Sixer
If they prove to be worth a crap, I imagine they will sell a ton of them.

I saw one dealer advertising them for $189 and if the "real world" reviews are positive, I'll likely buy one.

COR

Blackhawk
They added an inexpensive .22lr revolver to their lineup that could get a new shooter into it at a price point that is very attractive.

I'm really not seeing anything that is not to like. It's always great for more options in firearms from a reputable company. It's the new Ruger LW...it's just 2019

s4s4u said:
Enigma said:
I read elsewhere that it's supposedly a budget version of the Single Six. Guess they're trying to compete with Heritage Arms now.

Compete with Heritage? Now that's a good one. I can't see Ruger sinking to that level ;-)

Actually, I can. Heritage Arms, and their dealers have been very good at promoting the Heritage revolvers to be every bit as good as a Ruger, at less than half the cost. And the buyers that don't know better are convinced. Heritage revolvers are selling extremely well here.

yessiree, it is an "entry level" firearm at a price MOST of the new comers can afford...YES< we have and like our "collectibles" but at EVERY gun show,and EVERY big box gun shop around here ( the Fin, Great Lakes, etc) , the folks buy the 'Heritage' because it is affordable it and works.............NO it will never replace any of the six shooters we have or ever will have..............as noted above that so many of the "other" NEW model production stuff, ( American, etal) Ruger is a keeping up to maintain "market share"............. 8) :roll: :wink:

( besides, they ain;t buying the old model Single or Super Single Sixes that I have on my table at every show,,,sold ONE in the past 3 months..... :?

ranger1

Buckeye
Just noticed that............"The Wrangler™ is not available for sale in Minnesota and Massachusetts." :shock:

If it was considered a 'single six' it would be OK in Maryland right now. However since they named it something else it will have to go through the process of being "approved" here in Maryland. That could take months.

old 41

Bearcat
I am not a new shooter or collector, bought my first Ruger SS about 50 years ago.
Own a new and Old model S-S and Bearcats, never had a Heritage and can't wait to get my hands on a new silver Wrangler that I can say is mine.

Dos Vaqueros

Single-Sixer
I think the Wrangler will be a hit with Cowboy Action shooters with youngsters. 22 are allowed in the Buckaroo category and there were not many low cost options for quality revolvers. this may fill that gap. I hope they are a tough as the Ruger name.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I'd almost guarantee they will be better then a Heritage.
A buddy of a buddy had one and the thing wouldn't even fire 1/2 the time.
He said he was going to try and return it.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I have a beautiful ROCS Bearcat on display in the bookcase beside my recliner and a few marks put away, I may just get one to shoot and the grandkids can shoot it with out me worrying about it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Oh the turd suckers. It's an entry level .22 single action that will be head and shoulders above the pot metal Heritage and sell for under $200. What's not to like?

recumbent

Buckeye
I have never owned a SA revolver. I have shot a friends Heritage, he paid $120 for it at a dealer it as a new gun, it was OK but did not impress me.
At this price I may try a new Wrangler.

"Pot metal" Craig? It's advertised as "alloy" and the Wrangler is "aluminum". Care to specify alloys on both of these?

The best thing I can see on the Wrangler is that they apparently used the Single-Six's internals complete with the transfer bar which the Heritage does not have.

The Heritage has an external, manually-engaged hammer-blocking "safety" which is kinda hokey but serves the purpose . . . sorta.

The Heritage is also available with a Magnum cylinder. Guess we'll see how its "alloy" frame deals with that over the long run.

Biggest advantage of the Heritage? It's SHINY! Looks cool. Will appeal to the newbies. (Also cheap!)

Will I buy a Heritage? No. Will I buy a Wrangler? Unlikely, but I'd still like to fondle one to see if it speaks to me. ;)

CraigC

Hawkeye
The Heritage is ZAMAK, a zinc-based alloy with 4% aluminum content, aka pot metal. Used for its low melting point. The Wrangler appears to have an aluminum frame and grip frame. Big difference.

Why would the .22Mag make a difference? The pressure is the same. Although the Heritage uses the cheapest grade of steel used in firearms manufacture, 12L14. I would feel safe in assuming that Ruger is using the same alloys present in Single Six cylinders and barrels. I would also assume that the Ruger barrel is screwed into the frame with actual threads. Whereas the Heritage is "micro-threaded", pressed into the frame and held in place with adhesive. Zinc or steel, the Heritage has a sprayed on finish. That shiny flakes off easily. Cerakote is a good, tough finish. It's just not traditional. Which is fine and probably the best choice for aluminum.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have been following all the comments & such,, yet,, so far,, nobody has put one in their hands & tested it.
There are a lot of good thoughts as well as negative ones.

I say let the market decide things.

Remember,, Ruger is in the business to make MONEY. Even Bill Ruger was keen on that. The guns are the product to that end.
Today's shooters are different than the shooters of yesteryear.

And if I recall all my Ruger lore,, Bill started this fine company by building a quality product,, at a much cheaper cost than the "big boys" at the time. Look where it's at now.
And think like this,,, as well noted above,, most of today's buyers are looking for CHEAP,, AND they expect a certain quality. BUT,,,, they also live in a "disposable" type of world now. Many do not expect stuff to last a few lifetimes,, and as such,, are willing to use the cost factor as a deciding point. Ruger by far does an excellent job of building a quality firearm,, but it all comes at a price. It USED to be that a Ruger cost less than "the big boys" and as such,, people bought them,, and over time,, found them to be "as good or better" than other brands. Nowadays,,, a Ruger (in general,) costs as much or almost as much as anybodies guns. Ruger is now "one of the big boys."

So,, while many of us,,, (myself included) will PREFER to buy an older or more expensive gun,, than something like this,,, let us not snear at an offering that can get shooters into a gun at an affordable price. Especially if it's new shooters & the gun is better built than other brands.

Lastly,, let's all await for them to get into the hands of knowledgeable shooters for proper judgement first,, BEFORE we pass judgement.

ranger1

Buckeye
Here's a short article on the new Wrangler from American Rifleman.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/19/ruger-announces-new-wrangler-22-lr-single-action-revolver/

contender said:
I have been following all the comments & such,, yet,, so far,, nobody has put one in their hands & tested it.

Long-term? Who knows? That will be the deciding factor. It does appear that Heritage has taken some shortcuts that Ruger avoided, since it appears that Ruger has merely gone to aluminum for the frame and a more economical finishing process, along with not providing a Magnum cylinder which is a considerable savings. And it's not like Ruger has no experience with aluminum frame rimfires . . . recall the Lightweights?

:wink: