New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
Well having seen them really announced but not holding one I am not impressed not enthused.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Maybe Ruger should've eft bolt action to Remington and Winchester...
Maybe Ruger should've left AR's to the other 327 manufacturers of the design...
Maybe Ruger should've left single action revolvers to Colt...

I'm just guessing their marketing dept has a wee bit of an idea as to what'll be worth investing the resources in.

My take...smart move. So many worry about every last nickel and dime this will allow those not other able to buy a Single Six the pride of owning a Ruger firearm. Some don't need the shine of a fine blued finish or spalted maple grips - they are fine with a simple durable, no-thrills finish. Some don't worry about its collectability in 40 years - they are interested in it's usefulness now.
I wonder...if everyone opposed to this would likewise pass up he profits they'll make from it...

I have to disagree with the naysayers, this is Ruger getting back to its roots if you think about it, introducing firearms using the latest technology to offer a reliable firearm that is very affordable...just like they did with investment castings so many years ago...this will bring a whole new generation of customers and aficionados into the Ruger fold.

Start them on a very inexpensive but quality firearm and make them a customer for life....

Us traditionalists may not like the finish and look of the these revolvers but they were not built for US old folks...think about where Ruger's success now lies, the American Rifle line, the security series, LCP and LC9 are all firearms that would make WBR roll over...times have changed and so has the ownership...we may not like it, but this revolver will be a smash hit IF the ruggedness and reliability is built into them.

We shall see...

chet15

Hawkeye
It is up now on Ruger's website.
I see a stainless MIM Hammer and Trigger, molded eagle logo in the grip. These guns do not appear to be finished well. On each model I see a die seam right up the middle of the front strap and trigger guard...not finished!

200- prefix serial number.
Suggested Retail $249.
It is interesting that there is only a two ounce weight reduction from the 4-5/8" barreled blue steel NM Super Single-Six.
At a distributor cost somewhere around $149, I don't see real world gun show prices beating Heritage prices.
On Ruger using the trademark "Wrangler" instead of "Single-Six Wrangler", I wonder if they are distancing themselves from the much better made "Single-Six" models?
Vaughn Chase... weren't there supposed to be some 200- prefix .44 Carbines??? The earliest of the three Wrangler models shown on Ruger's website is 200-01055.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
It's a WalMart world.

Most people have no interest in a quality firearm whether it be single action, double action, rifle, shotgun or semi auto. Price, price, price drives their decision whether or not to buy and which brand. Brand loyalty is long gone too.

Who here thinks Ruger board meetings had discussions about the threat those Heritage firearms are and what Ruger should do to stave off their hostile take-over?

Moey

Bearcat
I guess I would have a lower priced gun than none at all. Not everyone can fork out $600 for a 22.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Moey said:
I guess I would have a lower priced gun than none at all. Not everyone can fork out $600 for a 22.

Right on.

If it looks good and shoots straight, it will be a hit.

Rclark

Hunter
I don't get this either... Doesn't look like you have a barrel length choice. I will stick with the Single Six myself. I am sure this will appeal to some though. Haven't seen a fixed sighted single six in awhile...

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I think it will work out well for Ruger. Not everyone can afford a top of the line firearm and Ruger is not discontinuing the other lines but giving an opportunity for new customers.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Big Old Boy said:
I think it will work out well for Ruger. Not everyone can afford a top of the line firearm and Ruger is not discontinuing the other lines but giving an opportunity for new customers.

EXACTLY!!!!

No one has even touched one yet and mostly negative comments. I wonder if that happened when Bill introduced the lightweight Single Six or the Bearcat. Probably not.....no internet then.

Dan

chet15 said:
It is interesting that Ruger would abandon the trademark "Single-Six Wrangler" and just go with the "Wrangler" trademark. Chet15

I see it as admitting this thing is something less than a classic, high-quality Single-Six.

I see the Heritage Roughriders go over the gun shop counters for $150 and next to one of these things the Roughriders look spectacular. My BIL has one and it's a nice little pistol . . . no Single-Six, but not bad at all.

JMHO

:roll:

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I like it. Inexpensive and I bet it last forever. Complaining reminds me of when the LCR came out - turns out that one has been pretty successful.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'm interested.

I've got a decent sized collection and have more revolvers than semi autos. But I don't have any single actions yet. I've been interested in getting my first SA but what hangs me up is I'd rather spend money on reloading supplies to feed all the revolvers I already own. Thus, every time I contemplate getting a SA or trading a gun for a SA I get hung up on the idea that any SA is going to be nothing but a toy in my collection. It's not like I carry every single gun in my collection, but most have a practical purpose. A SA in my collection would be nothing but a toy.

Now a Ruger SA for $175-200 in a caliber I don't have to reload for and a caliber I'm already stocked up on...that's a toy which is much easier to justify purchasing.

pete44ru

Hunter

The $249 MSRP Wrangler.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

top.jpg

Now that I've had my tantrum . . .

The "comparable" Single-Six is a steel-framed, nicely-blued revolver with fixed sights but including a Magnum cylinder for $699 MSRP.

https://ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixConvertible/specSheets/0629.html

Yep, a big difference between that and the Wrangler. For many, that's a rather serious consideration, even though the Magnum cylinder might have limited appeal. Considering a "new generation" of gun buyers who might not be as wed to traditional construction and finish as some of us Olde Phartes I can see the appeal. And as mentioned, quite a few Olde Phartes might just see this new thing as more of a Ruger-themed toy than a serious firearm or just a working farm gun that they aren't afraid to get a little dirty on a daily basis. There are some new realities in play here, I understand that.

If the things have a decent "feel" and are as accurate as their Single-Six counterparts, Ruger might just sell a couple bazillion of them. Also, I note that they come in various colors, which seems to be a major sales point these days.

;)

Latest posts