Longer barrel Speed Six in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hedrok

Single-Sixer
I have a question for folks who have been down this road before...
What is the longest barrel I can put on one of my Speed Six 9mm without getting into custom shop work? I know Ruger made a Blackhawk 38/357 - 9mm with the cylinder for 9mm that was supplied...but, from what I've heard...it's not all that accurate. I was hoping to find a 5.5 or 6" bbl...or longer...that would fit my frame.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Muley Gil said:
A 6" Security Six barrel has the same threads.

Yes, the threads would be the same but the barrel would not be due to the bullet diameters. Remember the bullet diameter of the 9mm is less than the .38/.357. The Security Six with a 6" barrel was never made in 9mm. It could be done but to get the best accuracy, the barrel really needs to be made for the ammunition being fired through it.

Also, the Security Six was an adjustable sight revolver and putting a Security Six barrel on a Speed Six frame, which is fixed sights, would required pretty extensive modification to the front sight for it to shoot POI vs. POA.

Right now, without going with a custom barrel you are limited to a 4" barrel. Ruger did make 4" Speed Sixes so barrels can be found, just not any that are 6".

hedrok

Single-Sixer
That "couple of thousandths" difference in the bore is what caused someone to post somewhere "...as the 9mm went bumping down the barrel..." and got me thinking about finding a longer 9mm barrel.
I'll start looking for a 4" barrel...or maybe drink less coffee so my 2 3/4 bbl will work with a bit less hand shake.
Thanks for the input.

grobin

Blackhawk
I've a old model Blackhawk convertible, 6.5" barrel. The . 357 is most accurate, but the 9mm is more accurate than the .38. Interestingly the Blackhawk has a couple hundred fps over my Sig with a 3" barrell. That's apparently to the longer distance the bullet travels before the rifleing. From a sandbag the Blackhawk 9mm is moa at 50m while the 357 will cloverleaf at 50m. The 38+P is not quite moa. The Sig is slightly looser than the Blackhawk, but still moa. Not a whole lot of difference. (Neither the Sig nor the Blackhawk like the very light hyper vel loads! )

So unless you want to try for a slower powder load than Accurate 7 (LIL'gun or Accurate 9 maybe) the longer barrel is unlikely to matter!

grobin

Blackhawk
Well I did a little work on the trigger, just smoothing things out. All shot off a sandbag rest. Some ammo it just doesn't like!

It would be interesting to slug a couple of 9mm Ruger Speed Sixes and see whether they actually used a different bore diameter barrel than the 38/357. Or maybe somebody already knows for sure?

hedrok

Single-Sixer
Again, pardon my ignorance....Are you saying that many European 9mm hand guns are bored large enough to be considered .357 size?? How do those pistols rate on accuracy if some say that the Ruger, shooting 9mm out of the 357 barrel is not acceptable?? Different standard of "accuracy" maybe?

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Just did a an unofficial try and fit with several handguns. I got out a Browning Hi Power and a 9mm cartridge. I placed the bullet nose in the muzzle and eyeballed it. Then I did the same thing to a stainless 4" Security Six and a blue 4" Service Six. The bullet went into the muzzle about the same distance. I then compared the thickness of the barrel rib between the two Rugers. Since the Security Six rib is thicker than the Service Six, it could be milled down and a lower front sight affixed.

I agree with Thumbcocker, arfmel and LAH that the 9mm revolvers probably have the same barrels as the .38/.357 Sixes.

So, don't rule out that 6" barrel yet. :)

5of7

Hunter
I don't know for sure, never having slugged a Ruger speed six 9MM bbl., but I would hazard a guess that Ruger uses the same bbl in 9MM speed six bbls as they do for .357s. Also, it is not at all unusual that semi auto bbls in 9MM will prove to be .356 if one takes the time to slug them. Keep in mind though that I am not talking about match grade 9MM bbls here, just ordinage run of the mill 9MM bbls.

Also, Hornady, for one, makes 9MM bullets in .356 diameter if you are handloading the 9MM.

silverback

Blackhawk
I was able to find a cylinder that fit perfectly my security six 6 inch and my police service six. Lock up timing perfect.

I sent it off to TK customs and had the do a 9mm conversion.

Took it to the range yesterday to set sights a 25 yards.

Both the 9mm 115 grain and 38 plus p 125 grain hit exact same POI. the sights dialed in for 9mm.

I was able to drill several cylinders of each in 1 to 2 inch hole rested.

The 9mm has a bit more snap then the 38+p.

Next is to test 124 grain/158 grain 38 and 357's.
Oh yeah some 125 grain 357.

Very happy with the results.

Latest posts