Double-Stack LC9s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shutterbug

Bearcat
I wish Ruger would make a double-stack (think 10-12 rounds) LC9s. I have the Security-9 and LC9s pistols and the slide on the Security-9 is much wider and bulkier than the slide on the LC9s. I wonder why Ruger made the slide so much wider than the LC9s. I owned a Bersa Thunder+ which was a Bersa Thunder slide on a double-stack 15-round frame. It can be done. It would give Sig P365 a run for the money. Just wishing.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Well the closest thing to a double stack LC9 is a Keltec P11 which is the original design stolen by Ruger. My P11 holds 12 rounds and is only slightly wider than and LC9. It carries the same as my LC9, though it is double action.

But I agree, a LC9 sized striker fired double stack would be a hot seller IMO.

Why not just get a Glock 26? Double stack would unavoidably be thicker than the single stack LC9s. If I was willing to carry that think a handgun, I would go with the Glock. Simple, totally reliable, reasonably priced. For myself, I'll stick with the LC9s as my EDC, although sometimes I carry my SR40c just for the change.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't have it anymore but I had one of the Kel-Tecs mac 66 posted about. It was an accurate little pistol & worked. You might look at one of them or the Sccy clone if you want something inexpensive. They are not striker fired though, they use a shrouded hammer & the Kel-Tec has a long, heavy trigger.

I guess I'm contrary... I've switched to single stack and really like the feel... I figure if 8 won't do for me then that's why I carry a spare magazine and get training every year on how to do an emergency reload in less than 2.5 seconds. Sig P239:

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I too like the single stack on my LC9. I did however add a sleeve to my grip to "beef" it up a bit. I like the narrow profile of single stack, my LW commander is also single stack. A second magazine will likely take care of the crumbs left behind.

mac66

Single-Sixer
The Taurus G2C is essentially a double stack, 12 shot, striker fired pistol the same size as a LC9s. It gets good reviews and is inexpensive (under $200) in many cases.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=121683&utm_source=KyGunCo%20Marketing&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=March%20Mayhem

Mike J

Hunter
mac66 said:
The Taurus G2C is essentially a double stack, 12 shot, striker fired pistol the same size as a LC9s. It gets good reviews and is inexpensive (under $200) in many cases.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=121683&utm_source=KyGunCo%20Marketing&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=March%20Mayhem

I had a PT 111 G2 which I think is pretty much like a G2C except I believe the G2C doesn't have the internal lock. The one I had had a weak finish. I believe a stainless version can be had for not much more. I kept a light coat of wax on the one I had to keep it from rusting. I didn't really mind the bluing wearing. My only major dislike about the gun was the trigger. It breaks a long way back. It is a nice carryable firearm that works for less than $200 though. The Grip of these is about the same length as a G-19 grip. The slide is roughly the same length as a G-26.

Rugeraz

Bearcat
Ruger just came out with the Security 9 Compact that pretty much fits that bill. Doubt they will make a double stack LC9s as well.

Shutterbug

Bearcat
Rugeraz said:
Ruger just came out with the Security 9 Compact that pretty much fits that bill. Doubt they will make a double stack LC9s as well.

It is quite a bit wider than the LC9s. I have a Security 9 and like it a lot, but I like the narrow LC9s for carry. In my original post I was only wishing for a double-stack LC9s. Grins.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
:wink: :p
How many rounds do you plan on needing?

The engineered width of the single-stack LC9 and derivatives serves a distinct purpose.

s4s4u

Hunter
Shutterbug said:
Rugeraz said:

It is quite a bit wider than the LC9s. I have a Security 9 and like it a lot, but I like the narrow LC9s for carry. In my original post I was only wishing for a double-stack LC9s. Grins.

If you double stack the magazine it is going to be wider than a single stack. You can't have both.

vito said:
Why not just get a Glock 26? Double stack would unavoidably be thicker than the single stack LC9s. If I was willing to carry that think a handgun, I would go with the Glock. Simple, totally reliable, reasonably priced. For myself, I'll stick with the LC9s as my EDC, although sometimes I carry my SR40c just for the change.
The Glock is UGLY, doesn't sit well in my hand. I have a KelTec P-11 that fits the niche well.
gramps

johnnylaw53

Bearcat
mac66 said:

I was thinking the Taurus G2C is closer to a security compact but i can't fine anything yet comparing the two. I have a Lc9 and the taurus and to me anyway they do not carry the same an Lc9 with a little thicker grip I think would be great.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
mac66 said:
Well the closest thing to a double stack LC9 is a Keltec P11 which is the original design stolen by Ruger...

Interesting that you use the term "stolen by Ruger..." How is it you're sure SR didn't pay royalties with many zeroes to Mr. Kellgren for design and function components? SR did that of course with Smith & Wesson and other manufacturers, and in fact Bill Ruger is known since his days working under Savage Firearms for his ability to re-engineer other existing designs into his own products. Most folks would be surprised at how much "borrow and buy" goes on in the firearms-manufacturing industry and how close large, and small makers really are.

That being said, I'm now not sure this thread is about grip width, or higher capacity, or something else? Grip width can be altered easily, with Hogue or Pachmayr sleeves. I use both and each has fit n feel positives. As I get older, I favor light weight in a carry-everyday gun, and the LC9 guns provide a huge advantage for me in their lesser "printing" factor when wearing everyday off-the-shelf or fitted business/evening clothes. I don't challenge large groups of bad guys often so I have never considered dozens of rounds (and their weight) to be essential in a RL defensive situation nor in a courtroom. I'm just weird that way? :?

Ruger Security 9 vs Taurus G2C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSRqURo8eA

As far as I'm concerned the Taurus G2C is a "BEST BUY" compact gun (more or less)
Being a Ruger guy I may have to have both.

Also for those that haven't picked it up Taurus has replaced the PT111 2Gen Millenium for a Taurus G2c. Taurus didn't make a big deal about it, the G2c just started showing up. Personally I like it.

exavid

Hunter
I had two Tauri (Taurus plural?) on was the TCP .380 the other the .40 Slim. I liked the way those guns felt, there price was very good, both had good triggers. Unfortunately the TCP blew up. The slide broke in half at the front of the ejection port. I'd been showing the gun to a friend at my gun club. He made two shots and the gun came apart on the second. Hit him in the jaw cracking a tooth. We contacted Taurus and they paid him for the dental work with some extra for pain and suffering, and offered a replacement TCP or one of several other pistols they manufactured. I chose the .40 slim.
When I got the gun I liked it a lot. Great carry pistol, very thin and shot the .40S&W rounds very comfortably. Unfortunately after around 100 rounds the gun went full automatic. After looking at the mechanism it seemed to me some parts were too weak to stand up to the demand the gun put on them. I decided to junk it and consider it a lesson. I didn't have much money on the TCP to begin with and just took the loss.

I don't know if I just got two guns out of many hundreds sold that failed. I can't complain about how Taurus treated me to compensate for my problem and that of my friend who was injured. I'm sure Taurus would have paid me for the second gun which failed so I can't say anything bad about the company. But I have permanent doubts about the reliability of some of their guns. I don't say all Taurus guns are bad or poorly made just that I had some serious problems with two of them.

Latest posts