Poor Mans Trigger Job

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dumbear

Bearcat
What if any are the drawbacks to the so called poor mans trigger job ie, unhooking one side of trigger spring.

contender

Ruger Guru
Often,, many folks never have any issues. However,, I have been able to purchase 2 Rugers that the owners were willing to sell cheaply because the action "hung up" occasionally. Both were due to unhooked & bent trigger return springs. One was a nice 357 Maxi,, for $275.00, in the box. When taken apart,, the leg that was off the post,,was hanging up in the mainspring.

If a lighter or better action is desired,, a good action job is MUCH better than a poor man's trigger job IN MY OPINION. And,, it's not super expensive to have a qualified gunsmith to do one. Heck,, just a gentle cleaning of mating surfaces in an action to smooth up any rough spots will make a big difference. Than you can add a Wolff spring for the return spring & it too can help.

s4s4u

Hunter
I think you'd be better served with a reduced power spring or just bend the legs a wee bit. The return spring doesn't have as much to do with trigger pull as sear engagement and hammer spring weight anyway, IMO.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Un-hooking one leg puts undo side forces on the parts. If you slightly bend both legs you keep the forces evenly distributed.
Detailed how-to article.
http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

woodsy

Blackhawk
To the OP:
I assume you are referring to the "Poor Boy's Trigger Job", as appearing on the Gunblast website. Is that correct? If so, did you do the first step of the process, namely burnishing the sear without disassembly? What you described here was the second step of the total process, which unfortunately leaves a loose spring leg which could just get caught in the hammer mainspring.
I am currently working on the first step, and when that's done I will do what s4s4u suggests.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Here's a " skilled boys action job" and pretty thorough for reference:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/diy-slick-ruger-single-action/

Quoted in lieu of a like.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
The other half of the 'poor man's trigger job' that you have missed consists of cocking the hammer and putting forward pressure on the hammer as you squeeze the trigger. I rubs the hammer hooks and sear together to wear down any rough spots. Three or four times usually produces the desired result. My newer flattop now has a 2 1/2 pound trigger with no perceptible creep and with the factory springs.
I don't put much stock in reduced power springs for a single action. Remember, when you pull the trigger on a single action revolver the hammer is already cocked and the trigger will barely move. Plus, a lighter mainspring will increase lock time. Not good for accuracy.

Rclark

Hunter
I've lifted one leg off on most all of my Rugers at one time or another. Worked fine for me and doesn't hurt anything... But definitely helps the trigger pull (might feel a bit more creep). I never purposely sit and 'dry fire' either. Still old school on that practice.

Of course after a proper trigger job, both legs of the trigger spring are back on. I don't mind a little lighter mainspring either. As long as all the rounds go bang, your golden. If you see light primer strikes, use a heavier spring (I have a bunch sitting around). As for longer lock time, my targets don't seem to notice. Not rocket science. The final analysis is 'reliability' and that the person is satisfied with the results. All else is just opinion :) .

My newer flattop now has a 2 1/2 pound trigger with no perceptible creep
You are lucky. Every one of my Rugers varied from 4# to 6# from the factory (using a spring gauge). Creep was always present too. When I have mine tuned, I like 2# to 2 1/2#.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
I've lifted one leg off on most all of my Rugers at one time or another. Worked fine for me and doesn't hurt anything... But definitely helps the trigger pull (might feel a bit more creep.

I've done it as well with no problems. But mine aren't self defense guns or used to hunt dangerous game. I just shoot paper, cans, and a few non man eating animals. It's not a big deal if something would cause a minor mechanical issue.

Rclark

Hunter
In my case, I never did have a issue with lifting one leg of the trigger spring (and would be comfortable carrying revolver in the woods that way) ... On the other hand, a couple of years ago, I did have the transfer bar break once on a BH that I owned since 1980 or so. 'That' was an issue as I was done for the day, and luckily it wasn't a life or death situation at the time.... I was chronographing new loads. Any part can 'malfunction' just hope not at the wrong time and place.