Another new cartridge from Winchester

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
I don't see the 350 having much if any impact on the 300 BLK except in cases where a straight waled cartridge is required by regulation.
Its success depends on how well the AR crowd can pick it up or whether manufactures like Ruger and Aero come out with semi auto versions. Unless it has a bunch of good subsonic loads it is not competitive, I counted 10 factory subsonic loads for the 300 BLK, maybe there is one or the 350? Yes the 350 has more energy but for the close in work they are intended for does it matter?

Th 350 looks like a relatively small niche cartridge to me. BTW what are the 3 states where it's not legal?

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Just looked at the SAAMI specs; the thing that caught my attention...it uses .357 diameter bullets. The 350L may be designed with the idea that handloaders would adopt it early. The other groups, that normally 'wait and see' if this has staying power, can come along later.

My 0.02 worth,
Ted

rangerbob

Buckeye
I don't think WW brought out the 350 to compete with the 300 in subsonic loads. While WW lists one heavy bullet subsonic load, the other 4 are hunting rounds that will work in an AR for that segment. I see the round in single shot rifles in those states that require straight wall cases or 35 caliber or larger rounds in a single shot like Louisiana does for their primitive season. The 350 is basically a smaller version of the 450 Bushmaster with the same attributes. Handloaders should like it as it will use most of the common 357 diameter bullets out there. The brass will have to come from WW, as 223 brass is too small at the base. I look for Starline to get into act before long. CMMG is already advertising rifles, uppers, and barrels in 350. I don't know what the 3 states are that don't allow the 350. Bob! 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
I remain skeptical on the 350. But we will see what the market says. The higher power compared th the 7.62x39 and the 300 BLK is a disadvantage for the same reasons that the better 30-30 is not allowed.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I have a 30-30, I like my 30-30, but it is not better than the 350 Legend.

legend.jpg

rangerbob

Buckeye
Here in Louisiana, it has to be 35 caliber or larger in a single shot with "an exposed hammer", which eliminates the #1. Ever since the law was written that way, the Handi Rifle in 35 Whelen was very popular as well as the 45-70 and 444 Marlin. So AR's and repeaters are not allowed. Does not sound too primitive, does it. Bob! 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
Steve what eliminates the 30-30 is the state's requirements for a cartridge with ballistics similar but slightly better than a shotgun slug due to the exurban contestion.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Ohio and Michigan allow only straight walled cartridges for deer hunting. The 30-30 is not that. The 350 Legend is.

mac66

Single-Sixer
SteelBlue said:
Ohio and Michigan allow only straight walled cartridges for deer hunting. The 30-30 is not that. The 350 Legend is.

Michigan allows any rifle cartridge in the rifle zone, but only straight walled cartridges in the "limited rifle zone" formally known as the shotgun zone, which is only in the southern part of the state.

grobin

Blackhawk
Ohio, parts of Michigan, and Louisiana 'primitive hunting' are the only places where it has an advantage! Is that a large enough market?!

For those claiming the 35 is superior to the 30-30, where did you buy the gun and ammo?

rangerbob

Buckeye
Just to stir the pot some more, I see that Winchester has these 5 new rifles in 350, all XPR's. A 22" in synthetic, a 22" in walnut, a 22" synthetic SR, a 22" camo synthetic, and a 20" compact synthetic. Of course, they are only listed, none available. I'll be surprised if any are available before October. Winchester advertised the Model 70's in 6.5 CM all last year and I have not seen any yet. Bob! :wink:

grobin

Blackhawk
SteelBlue said:
If you do an internet search it seems clear that the 350 outperforms the 3030.

And you believe everything on the 'net!?
I don't see any 3rd party ballistics.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Well, let's just say that I don't automatically DISBELIEVE everything I read in objective reviews. All reviews are positive and conclude the 350 is superior to the 30-30, even in recoil. As to the lack of third party ballistics testing, how likely is it that Winchester would lie about their testing, I don't automatically disbelieve them either.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
The 158gr and 180gr Golddots would be the cats pajamas in this platform... These are both tough bullets and should funtion well at the 300 L velocities...
The 350 L in a 16in barreled boltgun with a compact stock would make a handy treestand carbine , pig gun , whitetail option ... The 450 BM is a great option for this , but has wicked recoil and reeks havoc on scopes .. With the flash suppressor on the 450BM carbine it has a 18inch barrel ..
I don't think the 350 L will need one , but could be a option... if wanted