Proof marks on a Single Action?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Anybody know where they're from and what they mean?

ItMemHeh.png

n2TATShh.png

hittman

Staff member
I see now it looks like the mark to the left of XX9 means Italian "provisional proof for all guns".

That would cause me to ask another question...

If a G.I. stationed in Italy bought such a gun from the PX, would that gun receive Italian proof marks when it entered the country? Or since it's being delivered to the PX, on a U.S. military base, would the need for "Proofing" be unnecessary?

No, the PX guns were not subject to "proof" at a military base ( unless the PX bought them in the country the base is located),,,,we have had some, came from England, France and Belgium over the years and they came home with GI, and would usually have the green card signed by the commanding officer....my wife still has an old model Bearcat came from Europe around here someplace, with the signed card.....NO proof marks of any kind.........
Proof marks were for acceptance for sale in that country,much like any guns coming here would have the country of origin marked on the guns frame, for example "Germany".........
Nice gun in the pictures, last one we saw with those marks was a 357 mag Blackhawk.........