Why a revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
I know its been discussed and sure we revolver owners get it or do we?

I am sitting here looking at my various revolvers and asking myself why?

What is it that keeps me coming back to them?

Semi autos,for the most part, have slimmer profiles, more capacity, usually lighter and sometimes are just as accurate.

My steel semi autos , not even my 1911's, captivate me like revolvers do.

Is it their shooter interaction , the mechanics, the nice feeling of a well fitted grip, sweet smooth light trigger or the fact that it causes us to slow down and enjoy a range session more?

No matter how may times I have sold my revolvers and thought that the semi auto would suffice. I have always been drawn to owning a revolver. heck even my NAA black widow 22mag/22lr provides an entirely different shooting satisfaction than any semi I have owned.

Only a pump shotgun comes close to the same attraction.

I do enjoy rifles and shoot them well. Still the shotgun like the revolver just does it for me. I am enjoy shooting the pump shotgun more than a lever, bolt or semi auto rife.

How about you?

What do you think it is about the revolver that draws you in?

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
"The reliability, durability, and simplicity. Plus ageless beauty. You see one plastic auto loader,, pretty much seen them all."

"Because I don't have to bend down or crawl around on the range floor to pick up the brass?"

Gotta agree with these earlier posts and just add in that I still have a few semi autos that all work fine and have their place. For HD I'll choose a 17+1 plastic fantastic where weight and size don't matter as much. But I have little to no interest in adding any more semi autos to my collection. Mine work and I'd rather just leave it alone.

But for carry I'll take a revolver most any day for the simplicity and ease of carry.

bogus bill

Hunter
To me a revolver is less complicated and less dangerous. Also as said more dependable and you dont chase brass in the grass, mud or snow. Of course it's more of our history as our older generation grew up on the westerns. In my case I carried them on my guard job 35 years. I was brought up on them first. With autos, you have the various differing modes of carries, safeties etc. While I have a few, I just never was drawn to them like revolvers. The older steel auto`s did attract me some but the soulless plastic is a tool about a notch above a hammer to me.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
No chasing brass and no safety to click off. Yes I know some semis come with no safety's. Plus revolvers are just cool..

rangerbob

Buckeye
I've been reloading and shooting for the last 52 years. My first new handgun was a 1968 vintage Browning Hi-Power, nice blue with checkered walnut grips and a ring hammer. Almost as sexy as a S&W Magnum. My next handgun was a M57 S&W .41 Magnum, first year production, found pre-owned(not used or abused) at a LGS. I have not been with out a 41 magnum since. Being a reloader, I don't have to chase the brass with a revolver. I've spent the last 44+ years in LE work and carried several S&W 357 Magnums, 19's and 66's, and still carry a 5 shot 357 Airlite daily. While in uniform I've carried a 5904 and then my favorite, the P220 and then P226 and a P228 in plainclothes. While I would and have trusted my life with the Sig pistols, they are boring to shoot. I call them ammo delinkers, as they consistently make empty brass and place bullets where aimed. My heart belongs to pre 80's S&W magnums, k,l, or n frame with nicely figured checkered grips. The Ruger Blackhawks, Gp's and Redhawks are my go to working revolvers. I'm sure it is an addiction and I need treatment or at least counseling. Bob!! :mrgreen:

jimd441

Blackhawk
For all the reasons already mentioned, plus for reasons I don't know, I am consistently more accurate with revolvers.

Jim

kooz

Blackhawk
Agree with all the posts above. Also as far as power to weight , no autos come close . Even a .44spl or .45 Colt SAA or Uberti with full power standard pressure loads outclasses all but the specialty autos, which I don't really count anyways as they are so clumsy and huge .

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I wouldn't know 'WHY' as I don't have any of those semi-auto contraptions to compare with. I hear they can bite your hand. :D

jsh

Single-Sixer
I can't add much to all of the advice given on a wheel gun.

I have never had a revolver stove pipe.

I have tried a lot of semi autos, I managed to make all of them stop functioning some how. I am done. If you see me with one it will be for sale. I had to use a lot of self restraint this past week as a Gold Cup was waved under my nose.