SR-1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Just got one and shot it yesterday. I am much impressed with the quality and reliability of this 1911. I shot ball and some high quality hollow points, all in 230 gr.

I do wonder about one thing, not that it should impact me at this later time in life. The original 1911's would shoot in almost any conditions of mud and muck. They were accurate enough at close ranges where such combat takes place. Today's 1911's are mostly touted as being very accurate but I think that comes with the loss of reliability in adverse conditions. I personally see no use in a 1911 at fires one inch groups at 50 yards. I do see a use for a weapon that works in all conditions though.

My new SR-1911 is fitted tight and I wonder who it will work when muddy. Since it is stainless I just might try that out sometime. But I do really like this firearm.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
First...the belief that USGI pistols were loose is a myth that came from people handling badly worn examples.

Second...loose doesn't automatically guarantee reliability any more than tight guarantees accuracy. Loose is actually a detriment to reliability in adverse conditions because the wider clearances allow more and larger debris into the works.

The one place that lets unwanted material into the lockwork is the gap between the hammer and frame when the hammer is cocked and carried in an open top holster. That can happen regardless of fit. If you plan to be in a muddy or sandy environment, either use a flap holster or carry it in Condition 2 to protect the lockwork and still allow one hand operation. Learn the correct method for lowering the hammer, take it slow, and keep it pointed at the ground while lowering it.

Finally...there's tight and there's too tight. Based on the Rugers I've examined I doubt that yours qualifies as too tight.

grobin

Blackhawk
The above is right. BUT point it at something that you don't mind shooting when lowering the hammer, the ground is fine so long as there re no rocks or pavement!!

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Lowering the hammer on a loaded gun isn't something that's normally done in a rush. Take your time and observe proper technique, and it'll be fine.

Get control of the hammer first by pulling it off the sear. Hook the thumb over the face of the hammer instead of trying to hold it by the checkered portion. Then, pull the trigger and lower it either all the way down or to half cock. If the hammer doesn't have the original captive half cock, it's best to take it all the way down.

And, yes. The (original) half cock was a viable position set forth by John Browning. It was his intended manual safety on all his exposed hammer guns, including the M92 and M94 Winchester carbines and the M97 Shotgun.

The 1910 patent...before the thumb safety was added...even gives instruction on lowering the hammer to the half cock "safety position" with one hand. Though the addition of the thumb safety..aka the manual slide locking safety...pretty much negated the half cock, the captive notch remained until Colt replaced it with a flat, quarter cock shelf in the Series 80.

Note that getting control of the hammer with the modern, upswept grip safety tang is a little trickier than with the original, so extra care must be taken, and both hands are required.

An exerpt from the 1910 patents:

Heretofore in the pistols of this class,
when the hammer was cocked ready for firing,
and it became necessary to lower the hammer
to the safety position without allowing it to
touch the firing-pin, it required both hands
of the user to accomplish this act, because
the trigger had to be pulled with the first
finger of the right hand to release the hammer
and the grip-lever had simultaneously
to be pressed into the grip to release the
trigger for operation, to do this required
the keeping of the thumb of the right hand
in a horizontal position on the left side of
the grip.

Cholo

Staff member
I have 3 of the SR1911's in .45. I've only shot 2 of them, but they've been 100% reliable.

teuthis said:
My new SR-1911 is fitted tight and I wonder who it will work when muddy. Since it is stainless I just might try that out sometime. But I do really like this firearm.
It's your gun to do with as you please, but I can't imagine why you'd want to gunk it up, probably with a few unnecessary scratches, and get grit way down inside of it to make some sort of youtube video without youtube. You'll probably have to do more than a field strip to clean it all out.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Between the SR1911 and several SR1911CMDs I have owned and still own several since 2012. Mine have been great so far, but I don't throw them in mud and try and fire them and I have not put 100,000 rounds through any either.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
If one was in military actions when the 1911 was our issue pistol, those pistols got wet and muddy. And they fired in that condition. When they were new they were "loose" because they had to be. We tried to keep them functional but sometimes that just meant rinsing them in a stream to get the mud and such out of them. I have no plans to subject my new Ruger SR-1911 Standard to any such conundrums. But I found it encouraging that it fired the first and every time I have pulled the trigger so far.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Additionally, I have experimented with the hammer and it is too small and strong to be lowered over a loaded round, in my opinion. At least for me. But if I am going to carry it loaded, it will be with the safety on and a strap between the hammer and the frame, as I have in the past. Again, just my choice.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I guess I'm different than a lot of people. I have always figured that if you
take good care of your equipment, it will take good care of you.

Abuse it and who knows what it will do - - or not do, for/to you. :shock:

:D

s4s4u

Hunter
My new SR-1911 is fitted tight and I wonder who it will work when muddy.

Do you have a tendency to get your guns muddy? I doubt any of us will be wallowing in the trenches any time soon but could be wrong ;-)

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
I just found an idiot who answered your question.

https://www.carolinafirearmsforum.com/index.php?threads/frozen-mud-test-on-3-custom-1911%E2%80%99s.37314/

Mike J

Hunter
After watching that video I find myself wondering what the point of his endeavor was supposed to be. I wouldn't treat a Hi Point that way. Some of my pistols have holster wear, some have dings, my rifles have a few dinged spots. I don't have any issue with honest wear but I don't get the point in abusing something just for the sake of abusing it.

hittman

Staff member
FWIW my SR1911 in 45 acp has been 100% reliable in every way. Granted, I've only got about 1000 rounds through it in 3 or 4 years but none the less ..... never had a problem of any kind.

For whatever reason I prefer my Lightweight Commander SR1911 in 9mm. There's likely 1500 or so trouble free rounds through it. I even bought a MecGar branded mag for it and that too is flawless.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
"I don't have any issue with honest wear but I don't get the point in abusing something just for the sake of abusing it."
You probably don't knowingly fire overloads in your guns either, but the makers do. Overloads or mud, proof by abuse.

Latest posts