New SP101 .38 Spl. +P Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I picked up a 2 1/4" SP101, .38 Spec. only for a very favorable price, and have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone have suggestions for a good stout +P hollowpoint load that shoots to point of aim in this model? (Although I know individual guns may show some variance.)

2. Do the XS Big Dot sights give the same point of aim using the top of the sight blade as you would with the standard sight, or are they designed to 'shoot to the dot'?

3. Can anyone recommend a nice wood grip in a boot-grip style, or that at least isn't longer than the factory grip? In other words, I am not fond of the extended Hogue wood grips.

If you are looking for a good stout 38+p Look at Buffalo Bore ammo. As far as shooting to point of aim, you are just going to have to shoot it and find out. You can always contact Ruger and get a taller front sight if necessary.

Same with the XS Big Dots. Different weight bullets shoot to different places. Two different guns may hit different places. https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8355 There are a couple of heights, so apparently it depends on your load and bullet weight. That's the fun part about Fixed sight guns.

At a reasonable distance it's not like you are going to miss a person if you need to shoot at them. :mrgreen: If you are shooting at the head of a grouse, that might be something different. :roll:

ADP3

Single-Sixer
My experience with a .357 SP101 2 1/4" and XS Big Dot sight is that it printed low with 125gr, 130gr, and 158gr ..357 factory ammo at 7, 15 and 25 yds. POI was 2" to 3+" low at those ranges. A .38 Spl may give different results. The Ruger factory grip is the smallest SP101 grip that I'm aware of. Badger and Eagle make all wood grips that are smaller than Hogues but a bit larger than the factory rubber grips. When I had .38 Spl's, Winchester and Remington 158 gr. +P Lead Semi Wadcutter Hollow Points were what I carried. These were the old "FBI" load. Buffalo Bore improves on them a bit. You may want to practice with the Winchesters and/or Remingtons and carry the Buffalo Bores. Shoot enough of the Buffalo Bores to get comfortable with them and see where they print.

Best Regards,
ADP3

I carried a 2 1/4" SP101 for years and replaced it with an LCR because I pocket carry and the LCR had several huge advantages over the SP101. Altamont grips are both beautiful and comfortable. Years ago I bought some WWB 125gr 38+P and shot some into a barrel of water, the bullet opened up nicely and after several hundred rounds of no failures I had found my carry load. I can't help you with sights because I never look at them with my carry gun, it's all practice and muscle memory from the distances I need that gun for.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Webley, I chronoed the Buffalo Bore 110gr TAX-XP loads at over 1400 fps from a 4" GP. This calculated to almost 500 foot pounds of energy--approaching 357 level. Their +p semi wad cutter's spec out just as hot, maybe even hotter. I have always been suspicious of whether or not BB is staying within SAAMI specs. But, considering you are shooting a revolver that is available as a 357 using the same frame and cylinder, there shouldn't be any problem.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
robmkivseries70 said:
I'd favor the old FBI load of LSWCHP 158 gr. It's a +p .38 special load with good penetration.

That was my initial thought for this revolver. Those loads are a bit sporty in my 642.
And I've still got a couple boxes of old Cor-Bon 110 gr. +P+.

Took a look at the Altamont and Eagle Grips. I might actually try the Altamont rubber boot grip compare it with the Pachmayr Compac I have. For some reason, the wood boot grip offerings aren't doing it for me. Though I'm going to pick up a set of Altamonts for my Star BM. :)

Thinking more on front sights. Any recommendations for a fiber optic instead of the XS Big Dot?