What year did New Model Single Actions come out?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wobbly34b

Bearcat
do you know if they still produced the three screw gun until parts where used up?

What would be the likely year of manufacture for this gun? Super Black Number 80-62642?

Sorry, I guess I have tree seperate question.

Thanks for any replies.

Bob

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Diamondtreo said:
Yes, for a while, they produced 3-screw actions in the New-Model frames. All 4 of mine date to the early 1970's time frame.

O.K. I know the .357 Magnum went to a large frame, but otherwise, how do you determine a gun, .41, .44, or .45, is a Three Screw made on a New Model frame? What is the tell-tale difference? This is something I've never heard of before.

Bob Wright

chet15

Hawkeye
Diamondtreo said:
Yes, for a while, they produced 3-screw actions in the New-Model frames. All 4 of mine date to the early 1970's time frame.

Nope.... once Ruger switched over to the New Model in a particular series, they didn't keep producing Old Models.
The NM Super Single-Six was first and once production started, Ruger did not produce more Old Models. Then the NM Blackhawks and the NM Super Blackhawk were next.
One thing I hadn't thought about till your question came up however is how the cylinder frame castings themselves might be different between Old Model and New Model...I'm thinking they have to be different for some of the internals but not sure on that.
Chet15

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Diamondtreo said:

I am curious ~ how do you differentiate the three screw New Model frames from the older ones?

Bob Wright

Diamondtreo

Single-Sixer
Ok, I might have misspoken - I have 4 Blackhawk Old Models with sight ears (not flattops) that are 3-screw actions. In my day, the change from flattop to sight "bumps" were referred to as "new models"

New Models use Ruger's transfer bar ignition system, and only have two cross-pins thru the frame. The frames are roll-marked "Ruger New Model".

The pre-73 guns using the original "three screw" mechanism are the ones usually referred to as Old Models. These consist of both the original Flattops and the post-62 "protected rear sight" types.

The last of the Old Models and the first of the New Models were manufactured in 1973.

:mrgreen:

dixie cat

Bearcat
I have a 3 screw 357 it dates to 73 I guess it is the last year for the old model 3 screw,,,,,,,,,,

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Diamondtreo said:
Ok, I might have misspoken - I have 4 Blackhawk Old Models with sight ears (not flattops) that are 3-screw actions. In my day, the change from flattop to sight "bumps" were referred to as "new models"

O.K. The protected rear sight first appeared in the Three Screw Super Blackhawk, ca. 1963 or so, and then was incorporated into the entire Blackhawk line. this prior to the New Model production.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Bob Wright

chet15

Hawkeye
dixie cat said:
I have a 3 screw 357 it dates to 73 I guess it is the last year for the old model 3 screw,,,,,,,,,,

Yes, 1973 is when official production ended (1974 for the Super Bearcat). Just remember however that some old models weren't shipped until years later.... I know of one example that was finally shipped about 10 years ago (don't ask me what it was because you'll never get that out of me) and another (a .44 flattop) that letters as being shipped in 1976.
We have an Old Model Super Bearcat that was shipped in 1981 and I know another collector that has another Super Bearcat that was shipped a lot later than that even.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
I believe the protected ear Super Blackhawk was introduced in '59.

It is funny you mention that because for the longest time Ruger themselves were publishing in their instruction manuals that the Super Blackhawk came out in 1963.
Chet15

Latest posts