Another .44 Carbine question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I have a early 70's era finger groove carbine. After reading on another thread about the trigger group and gas piston issues I decided to clean the gas piston.

With the help of a good YouTube video the task was completed without having to call the suicide hotline.

Now my question. When I went to assemble it the completed barrel and action did not want to fit back into the finger groove area of the stock. Just a tiny bit too snug on the top edge. A little bit of hand pressure and all was well. The barrel and tube magazine fit nicely in the stock and there is no metal to wood contact except at the end of the stock where it is designed to fit. Is the little bit of binding while assembling enough to cause accuracy or function problems?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I won't cause any accuracy problems, but if it did not fit tightly coming out and now it does then something is wrong.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Regarding your 44 action not wanting to drop back into its stock. I would suggest you carefully remove the receiver/barrel from the stock and look closely for any fresh scratch and/or gough marks on the inside of the receiver area. Also, the safety has to be in the middle position, ie neither on safe or fire. It will scrape or break a chunk of wood off the stock if the safety is not neutral .

pete44ru

Hunter

Per the horse's mouth (Ruger), ensure that the bolt is locked to the rear (open) before removing or replacing the stock.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/model44.pdf

Both the .22 and .44 Finger Groove Sporter are rare today, and change hands at a steep premium, so take care to not damage the stock.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Pete44ru I already took care of the rare part. Some years ago I cut the rise in the stock off and refinished it. I now looks beautiful and fits even better but if is far from original. This was long before I even knew this forum existed. As it was originally I could not get far enough down on the stock to see the open sights.