Mark II book

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chilidog

Single-Sixer
Has anybody written a book on the Mark II pistols? Different variations and when they went to target grips and serial number break when they went to the red eagle.
Etc......

contender

Ruger Guru
I do not know of a book like you are asking for. There are a few collectors who COULD do one,, but whew,, what an undertaking it would be.

Not specific to MKII, but has some of the info you're after:

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Semi-Automatic-Rimfire-Pistols-1949-1992/dp/0873412176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540132404&sr=8-1&keywords=Hiddleson+ruger&dpID=41T9NBG8Y3L&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

By Chad Hiddleson, our very own chet15, editor of Red Eagle News Exchange.

thats a good informative book and covers most from the Standard auto, then Mark I and up to the advent of the Mark IIs....... ( 1949-1999)and of course now we're onto the null and void MK IIIs and today the MK IVs and on and on...........too many variations for our taste.... 8) :roll: :wink:

as for a "red eagle" only the early, early guns, unless you mean the red back ground on the 1999 anniversary autos and the mag bottoms, grip medallions????

chilidog

Single-Sixer
The mark III s have a red eagle and I have seen a few later Mark II s with a red eagle. Don't know if someone has replaced the grips to get the red eagle or they came that way. ( I guess I mean red eagle background)

contender

Ruger Guru
Look at an EARLY Ruger from 1949-1951,, the eagle will be recessed,, and colored red,, with the raised area around the eagle being silver. The later MKII's MKIII's & such,, will have a raised eagle,, with the recessed background,,, and some will have a red background. Big difference in the two.

chet15

Hawkeye
Red background medallions for the Mark II came in with the 50th Anniversary Mark II pistol...and with that year of 1999, all Mark II's with steel/stainless steel grip frames had red background medallions from then on
Chet15

chilidog

Single-Sixer
Thanks! That is what I was looking for. Some of my mark II's came with aftermarket grips and I didn't know what to look for to replace them with. When did they start coming with target grips? I have a 10 inch blue that has black plastic grips.

chet15

Hawkeye
chilidog said:
Thanks! That is what I was looking for. Some of my mark II's came with aftermarket grips and I didn't know what to look for to replace them with. When did they start coming with target grips? I have a 10 inch blue that has black plastic grips.

Black plastic grips were standard on Ruger's regular production Mark II's including the MK10.
Target grips only came on specific distributor special models.
Chet15

chet15 said:
chilidog said:

Black plastic grips were standard on Ruger's regular production Mark II's including the MK10.
Target grips only came on specific distributor special models.
Chet15

....or the KMK678GC.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
chilidog said:
I have a mark II 4 inch with a gold trigger. Is that the original trigger?

Lipsey's, a distributor who offers their special variation of some of the Ruger Mark pistol, standard production guns, will often be found with the gold anodized trigger.

Latest posts