How To Remove Rust/Stains From Stainless Steel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pete44ru

Hunter

(Yes, stainless actually CAN rust)

I read a tip on removing rust stains from stainless knives, tried it, and it worked.

Here's what to do:

* Place the stainless item (gun, knife, whatever) so the area with the rust has the stain was facing up, and supported to keep it level.

* Put a couple drops of white vinegar on the rust/stain, and let it sit for 5 minutes.

* Scrub the area with a new pad of 0000 steel wool to remove the stain.

* Clean the area with a cotton patch and some CLP, and you should be GTG.

woodsy

Blackhawk
It would be MUCH better to use bronze wool instead, because steel wool will leave an invisible amount of elemental iron on the surface, which will actually encourage more rust later on. That's why SS is usually "passivated" after manufacture to remove any iron molecules from the surface.
I used to make/invent SS surgical instruments, so I know about this, intimately.

Enigma

Hunter
woodsy said:
It would be MUCH better to use bronze wool instead, because steel wool will leave an invisible amount of elemental iron on the surface, which will actually encourage more rust later on. That's why SS is usually "passivated" after manufacture to remove any iron molecules from the surface.
I used to make/invent SS surgical instruments, so I know about this, intimately.

Which brings up a question: why don't 'they' make stainless steel wool? Or do they, and we just never see it?

ETA: Never mind, I see now that it is, indeed made, and available form many sources including Amazon and Hone Depot.

Weimguy

Bearcat
They do.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=0000+grade+steel+wool&index=aps&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_5sjmarjyfv_b&adgrpid=58799240791&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=274749774841&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9185487018369532709&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030126&hvtargid=kwd-298206636478

Pete

Single-Sixer
Please listen to what woodsy says! Stainless steels must be passivated with either nitric or citric acid.If you are going to remove the oxide coating or pitting on stainless it is best to use a pad that is not steel and then apply a little citric acid on the area to keep down further oxidation.

langenc

Single-Sixer
No steel wool. Save that for stock finishing--yuk..

For barrels iron or SS use a nice old 100% cotton t shirt and some polish.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Some stainless Rugers have been delivered not fully passivated. Rust just appears and reappears after cleaning those spots. Soaking the gun overnite in a baking soda and water solution will usually cure it. Agitation helps so you can set the pan on top of your case polisher and turn it on.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Baking soda has absolutely no effect on SS whatsoever. Nitric acid (NOT citric) is used to passivate SS. The baking soda would be used AFTER the nitric, to neutralize the acid, nothing more.

Latest posts