Charger/10-22 takedown questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpdesign

Single-Sixer
Are barrel mounting and receivers the same?
Specifically, if you have a charger takedown, could you buy a 10/22 takedown stock and barrel, could you turn it into a rifle without modification so you can also change it back.

And before anyone says it, according to the Supreme Court case involving Thompson center, it would be legal to have the parts as long as the stock and long barrel where kept together., and the owner didn't use just the stock any any time.

While it is legal, that doesn't mean that every LEO knows that little blurb in the law book. For use in the country or a private range, I see no issue. Having all the parts in a public place might well cause some unwanted attention. You can involve yourself in some monumental hassles just because of a misunderstanding and a phone call.
No diff to me-just sayin. I have some AR "pistol" uppers that are 100% legal to have in the same space as "rifle" lowers(just as the Charger/10-22 parts) BUT I make sure the pistol uppers are stored attached to a pistol configuration lower just in case "someone" would happen to notice.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
While it is legal, that doesn't mean that every LEO knows that little blurb in the law book. For use in the country or a private range, I see no issue. Having all the parts in a public place might well cause some unwanted attention. You can involve yourself in some monumental hassles just because of a misunderstanding and a phone call.
No diff to me-just sayin. I have some AR "pistol" uppers that are 100% legal to have in the same space as "rifle" lowers(just as the Charger/10-22 parts) BUT I make sure the pistol uppers are stored attached to a pistol configuration lower just in case "someone" would happen to notice.

I absolutely agree with your answer. Some folks seem to imagine that there's an ATF agent hiding behind every bush in the United States, just waiting for a gun owner to stub his toe.
Maybe they don't realize, as you do, how easily those barrels can be switched from the Charger to the 10/22, and then back again. I've tried it, and it's sorta neat. No "black helicopters" were used in the making of that movie. :roll:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
While I don't fear an ATFE agent behind every bush... I am a believer in bad days happening to good people.

Had a good friend busted for essentially a case of the police raiding the wrong address, his

So ANYONE can have a bad day. Having your gun parts in a circumstance wherein felonies are tempted,well it is a risk. I'm into risk mitigation!

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
While I don't fear an ATFE agent behind every bush... I am a believer in bad days happening to good people.

Had a good friend busted for essentially a case of the police raiding the wrong address, his

So ANYONE can have a bad day. Having your gun parts in a circumstance wherein felonies are tempted,well it is a risk. I'm into risk mitigation!

Doesn't make a "lick of sense" that anyone would be busted for police raiding his house by mistake. They can't search without "reasonable cause", and most of all, they need a 'WARRANT' to search HIS premises, with HIS address on the warrant.

I haven't seen anybody here suggest that BATF-E rules should be regularly broken, abused, or then flagrantly displayed.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
SGW Gunsmith said:
mohavesam said:

Doesn't make a "lick of sense" that anyone would be busted for police raiding his house by mistake. They can't search without "reasonable cause", and most of all, they need a 'WARRANT' to search HIS premises, with HIS address on the warrant.

No it didn't make sense. The warrant had his address on it. The dope dealer had a similar address on a different street. Real life sux.

I don't think ANY LEO would pass a chance to hang a citizen with a "suspected" ATF violation if they saw something that looked wrong(even if they were in the wrong house). The days of common sense law enforcement are long gone and the days of "cuff 'em and stuff'em and let the court sort it out" are firmly in place.
I've been questioned about my Form 1 suppressor by a local bunny cop(they have full LEO capabilities now). He had no idea I could legally DIY the can and was huffing and snorting himself into a tizzy until I showed him the copy of my tax stamp. Then he switched to the "illegal to hunt with" ploy which also failed when I suggested he call his supervisor before I did.

Latest posts