Picked up a Colt 1917 revolver today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

walnut777

Bearcat
I hope all the Ruger's in my safe dont mistreat the old Colt. I often get made fun of by friends because I rarely will buy a gun if its not a Ruger. Sure there's plenty of great guns out there but Ive always been a Ruger guy.

I visited with a friend of mine I met about 3 months ago. Older gentleman whos lived all across the U.S.
While talking about 2 months ago. We got to talking about guns. He said, "Let me show you something!"

He brought out a really nice Colt 1917 Army revolver. Some blueing wear on end of barrel but no rust and functional with what appears to be an original holster.

He told me the story of how it belonged to his brother that was a President of motorcycle club in California back years ago.

His brother had passed away a few years back and left him this gun and a Colt Mustang.

He didnt know anything about the 1917 so we did some research and I loved the history of the gun especially how it came to chamber the .45 ACP or rimless .45 with use of clips.

Today I stopped by and spoke with him for awhile and he said I wanna sell that old 1917.
I told him where we live it would be a hard sell and would probably have to go online to be sold.

We researched what they had sold for and before I left he said Are you sure you dont want it?
I told him Id love to but I couldnt pay him what its worth but agreed to sell it for him online.

He said Nah, Id rather it go to someone who I know would appreciate it and treat it right. He told me a price and I refused. I said thats too low. You could sell more way more. He said I know but I dont need it and I know you'll take good care of it. I reluctantly bought it. I just didnt feel right buying for the price he told me. He said I dont need the money but im gonna use this to buy some paint for the hallways. I still didnt feel right. He just laughed and said take it home and take care of it, I'd rather a true friend have it than a stranger.

I've sat and stared at the gun alot tonight. Thinking of the stories he told of his brother. Wondering where and what this gun has been though. Knowing that this gun will spend a lifetime in my gun safe. Getting taken out once in awhile to fire a few rounds.

I've been debating on a full restore down the road when I can afford it or just leave it be and enjoy it for its age and beauty.

I'd post a picture if I knew how. The picture hosting I used to use photobucket has turnd to garbage and now I have no clue how to post photos here.

Ron IL

Bearcat
A friend brought one to the range not long ago. First one I had ever seen. Always wanted one. It shot great. Now I would like one myself. Too expensive for me too. I will probably never get one.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Since it is a 1917 it may have some interesting provenance, perhaps dating back to WWI. It might be worth the cost to have Colt "letter" it to see when it was made and where it was first shipped.

bogus bill

Hunter
Don't restore it and dont pay the fortune to letter it. I once owned a unfired one. The letter wont tell you much or anything more than that it shipped with another hundred thousand or more and that for $150s!
I own a 1917 S&W and years ago have owned another three I think. I also would like to see a picture of the condition but roughly speaking I would say you would spend $300 to make your gun worth $400 LESS than you could sell it for now!
That's bad arithmetic.

walnut777

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. After admiring it for awhile today. I figured leaving it the way it is.
Shoot it once in awhile. Clean it and put it up.
If I ever figure out how to post pics again. I'll share a pic.

Good decision.

If you leave it "as is" it will always be the gun you got from your friend.

If you have it "restored" it will just be . . . another gun.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Wow! I went through several Colt M-1917s when they were dirt cheap! Seems like the going price then was from $19.95 and up.

I bought an old New Service, ex-RNWMP (Royal Northwest Mounted Police) revolver originally .455 Eley rebored to .45 Colt. Price for "select" condition: $34.95! And this by mail order.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
AS nice as you describe it, I'd also recommend leaving it original!

Does it have any military markings? Is the serial # in the crane different from the # on the butt (if there is one)?

You can look up the serial # here: https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

Printout and keep your 1st post with the gun for its provenance.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
How long ago was that, Bob?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you for asking! The date on the receipt is September, 1954. I count that as the date I became a handgunner. That was over thirty years ago!

Bob Wright

Bob Wright said:
Ale-8(1) said:
How long ago was that, Bob?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you for asking! The date on the receipt is September, 1954. I count that as the date I became a handgunner. That was over thirty years ago!

Bob Wright

Indeed. Waaaaay over.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Latest posts