10mm and 9mm barrel swap?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
If you have a 10mm SR1911 Target model, can a 9mm barrel drop in, or would you also need a new slide? I'm considering finally getting a 1911. Shooting two calibers for the price of only a new barrel and magazine as a bonus would be very attractive.

Slide = no

But the Extractor, Ejector, Recoil Spring would need to be set up for 9 mm as the case head is smaller.

Very few internal parts drop in a 1911.

Fitting a 40 S&W conversion would be simpler, the case head is the same diameter.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
If you want two calibers from one gun try the .22TCM.
https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tcm-series/tcm-tac-ultra-fs-hc-combo-22tcm-9mm/

When you change the caliber you have only to change the recoil spring
and barrel (provided) and re adjust the sights (height of POI).

It is so heavy that a 9mm shoots almost like a .22lr.
The .22TCM is LOUD, with a major muzzle flash, but very little recoil.

Really fun gun to shoot. 8)

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Hmmmm. Interesting question. While it is a whole different critter, I was present when a barrel from a 9mm Beretta 92 was dropped into a Beretta 96, replacing the .40 S&W barrel. Same slide, spring, extractor ejector and even the same magazine, and it worked like a champ! Shot to the exact same POA, functioned flawlessly and even dropped the brass in a nice little pile just a foot or so to the right (where it flung the .40 brass half way across the county).

This is in no way intended to say that your suggested similar barrel drop in would work, just a little anecdotal evidence that it may not be as unlikely as some think. The only way to know for sure is to try it, and I for one wouldn't want to drop a considerable amount of $$$ on the chance that it might. Though come to think of it, I did recently buy an H&K P2000SK in 9mm hoping that P2000 .40 S&W mags would work in it (I have a very good supply of the .40 mags!). Fortunately, they work perfectly, and so do all the holsters I obtained for the .40 P2000.

One factor that makes it less likely to work - the 10mm spring would undoubtedly be stiffer than the .40's was, and may make it impossible for a 9mm to cycle, so you would probably have to swap the spring as well.

All this is assuming that a 9mm barrel would even fit the 10mm slide properly. They may be very different dimensionally.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Well.... The easy answer is very difficult to no.

Here is a look at four cartridges. A 9mm (9x19) on the left, then a 38 Super (9x23SR) where SR stands for the semi rim. Next is the good ol 45ACP. On the right is a 10mm (10x25).