.41 Mag Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I am surprised no one has mentioned wanting to do the old model 3 screw vaquero on one of the frames I recently received. A pretty inexpensive way to get into a true 41 Vaquero on the even cooler old model 3 screw action. Here is a picture of the guns.
yv7NJDA.jpg

7yg4hHe.jpg

4dCI0Bb.jpg

10mm

Single-Sixer
OK, I'm voting again:
Yes I want a 41 mag Vaquero based on the original Vaquero, blued please with steel grip frame, wood grips and color case hardening on the frame with 5 1/2 inch barrel.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sugar River said:
The WHOLE point of this thread is the desire for a MEDIUM frame .41 Mag, be it Vaquero or Flattop.

Yep, start with any mid frame:
Old Model 357,
NM 357 flat top Blackhawk,
or New Model Vaquero 357.

Rechamber cyl to 41 Mag.
Pick up a 41 Barrel in your choice of length, and swap it with your 357 barrel.
Mid size and large size frame barrels threads are the same size, (except the Hunter Models).

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Sugar River said:
The WHOLE point of this thread is the desire for a MEDIUM frame .41 Mag, be it Vaquero or Flattop.

Yep, start with any mid frame:
Old Model 357,
NM 357 flat top Blackhawk,
or New Model Vaquero 357.

Rechamber cyl to 41 Mag.
Pick up a 41 Barrel in your choice of length, and swap it with your 357 barrel.
Mid size and large size frame barrels threads are the same size, (except the Hunter Models).

Been there, done that!

L8Arwm9.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ahh, sweet.

4" S&W barrel no less and chamfered cyl! What length barrel did you start with?

I'm just finishing up an Old Model Super BH with S&W 8 3/8" barrel now 7 1/2" after re-threading. Had to remove the extractor rod shroud. Would have been easier to make a short barrel.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Ahh, sweet.

I'm just finishing up an Old Model Super BH with S&W 8 3/8" barrel now 7 1/2" after re-threading. Had to remove the extractor rod shroud. Would have been easier to make a short barrel.

Started with a 8 3/8" from a M57 that found its way to PA from Oregon. I had a hard time deciding between the 4" and 5 1/2".

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Ahh, sweet.

Looking forward to seeing what your old super looks like after the project is complete!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Aeroscout9 said:
Hondo44 said:
Ahh, sweet.

Looking forward to seeing what your old super looks like after the project is complete!

Will be happy to post. I'll start with all parts polished and apart ready for bluing in a week or so.

dixie884

Blackhawk
I really think it is time for Ruger to build the .41Mag and 10mm on the NMFT and NV frame. Jason, are you there?

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
dixie884 said:
I really think it is time for Ruger to build the .41Mag and 10mm on the NMFT and NV frame. Jason, are you there?

Just wondering aloud, is there a safety issue with the length of the cylinder and the chance of interchanging cylinders? In other words, generally speaking, in a given frame size larger bore cylinders can not be installed in a frame with a smaller bore barrel for obvious reasons. Since we have NMFT's in 357, 44 and 45 already, is there sufficient variance between the 357 and 44 cylinders to insert a 41 cylinder in between without issue?

Latest posts