M77 .22 LR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, I just spotted a Ruger M77 in .22lr at the LGS. Laminate stock w/ a really nice gray finish & 24 inch barrel. Super clean with rings for $575.00 OTD. I looked up the ser# on the Ruger website & the born on date is 2006. I know next to nothing about these rifles. Is this a reasonable asking price? Are they accurate? Thank's for any help-Dave

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
azleite said:
Hi Folk's, I just spotted a Ruger M77 in .22lr at the LGS. Laminate stock w/ a really nice gray finish & 24 inch barrel. Super clean with rings for $575.00 OTD. I looked up the ser# on the Ruger website & the born on date is 2006. I know next to nothing about these rifles. Is this a reasonable asking price? Are they accurate? Thank's for any help-Dave

Both of mine are. Rumor has it that Ruger may be making those versions again. Seeing is believing. That price is not out of line as to what I've seen at some of the gunshows around here.

Best fitting, best shooting 22 I've ever shot. I didn't say "most accurate" although mine is decently accurate, but the fit (for me) makes it more "shootable" than any other.
I could relate tales of busting flying clay birds with my 77/22 but only the witnesses would believe me.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies Folk's, I'm considering having them set it back. Really a good looking rifle that shouldered really nice. I'm having rotator cuff surgery in about two hours. It'll give me something to think about while I'm healing.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Yessir, the barrel on this little girl is 24". Please feel free to school me on the tips and tricks for these rifles. I'll probably call them tomorrow & put dibs on it

contender

Ruger Guru
I own one with the "boat paddle" stock. Very accurate. And mine only has scope rings. I used to borrow a buddy's M77 in 22 LR to go to a turkey shoot with. His had open sights. I'd win a few rounds with his gun,,,,!
Good guns in my book.
Oh, and I also have one in .17 HMR. Small varmints hate that gun.

azleite said:

Sounds like a M77/22 VBR, not a standard model based on the barrel length....

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have a 77/22 that is very accurate. I have seen groups under 1/2" at 100 yrds. I can only imagine a heavy barrel. This rifle shoots tighter than my 10/22 Target.

falrifles

Bearcat
I bought one right before they took them out of the catalog a couple years ago. I installed the Volquartson sear, but used the Ruger factory sear spring. I use this for hunting. In cold weather I am wearing gloves and don't need a real light trigger. My trigger pull is about three pounds and is crisp and clean. As accurate as my CZ 455. This rifle does fit me well also, as previously mentioned. I'm 6'2". Mine is blued with the black synthetic stock. I bought mine from Davidson's when they were closing them out for $450.00. Not exactly the stock I wanted, but jumped on it with both feet. Glad I did. Its my favorite .22 rifle out of the several I own. I mounted the Leupold rimfire variable scope on mine. Great combination. I'm going to do some serious squirrel hunting this fall when I retire.

falrifles

Bearcat
I would like to see this rifle back in production. I didn't mind having to install the new sear. A new 10-22 that I purchased in June, became the recipient of a BX trigger assembly. It shoots really well. I just consider it part of the purchase price. This is what our law-suit crazy society has given us. Ruger has been the recipient of a few of these in the past.

The 77/22 was and is one of the best .22 caliber rifles made. I wish I had one with the mannlicher stock and one of the varmint versions as well.

Henry Repeating Arms, spends a little money to promote their great line of firearms. I don't know why Ruger is not doing the same. It could really boost the sales of the 77/22 line of rifles.

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
I had one I probably shouldn't have traded, but I'm a lefty and it was hard with a scope. A friend of mine shot it with the scope and was getting 10 shot dime sized groups at 50 yards. Some disclaimer as he is/ was a rifle instructor.
Best,
Rob