Cannon Custom Alaskan Fisherman

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rodfarva

Single-Sixer
I'm sorry, but I don't know the work. I've had trouble posting pics since photobucket went full retard. I bought the gun used off Gunbroker a couple of years ago. My understanding is that Andy Cannon did the work, but he is now passed...

Thel

Blackhawk
Cannon passed in 2005. I gather he was in law enforcement and did pistolsmithing also. His work was written up by Massad Ayoob and he was noted for his action jobs and some customs he built on S&W's and Rugers. I think the .454 Redhawks were done before Ruger offered the caliber and recall a picture and perhaps an article on one in a magazine probably in the early 1990's. He was originally from New Hampshire I believe but located to Montana somewhere in or before the late 1980's.

BusMaster007X

Bearcat
I think you're supposed to hook the dorsal fin under the bottom of the extension on the barrel and then the bullet enters the brain of the shark/fish/creature from behind and blows it all out of the top of the compensator.

Either that, or it's just a 'gator gun'. 8)

At ANY rate, that's an unusual firearm by any maker or 'smith and should be treasured.
The cartridge it's made for is certainly made for treasure taking!

MaxP

Buckeye
That is cool! Andy was the first guy who would convert .44 Mag Redhawks to .454 using the stock cylinder. Jack Huntington did some of these as well back in the day and they've held up. Say what you will about the aesthetics, but that there is a piece of history.

rodfarva

Single-Sixer
Maybe not too much to look at, but it balances well, points nicely, and isn't too brutal to shoot. It's also got a really smooth double action, and light and crisp break in single action.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Andy Cannon was from Laconia New Hampshire did a lot of 45 ACP work there. He shot competitively in the Belknap Gun Club out on 107.
Moved to Montana and I lost track of him.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I don't think people realize how innovative this was at the time. The .454 was a brand new cartridge and it was still 65,000psi, not the watered down 50,000psi it is today. The push for cartridges more powerful than the .44Mag was really just beginning. The big compensator and under-barrel weight were intended to combat the as of yet unheard-of recoil. This was a heavy duty critter defense tool made 20yrs before Ruger made the Alaskan. Judging history by modern standards is like thinking the chariot was silly because it's not a Camry. Those "quaint" relics from the past are what made the world we live in today.