.41 Mag Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A 41 Special version of the vaquero should be coming home soon. Alan Harton is converting a USFA gun fro 45 Colt to 41 Special with a dovetail front sight. He as asked for the ammo to regulate it so it should be here in the not too distant future.

kgb

Bearcat
Mania said:
I sent a 41 mag barrel to John Gallaghr and he is converting a 357 New Vaquero to 41 Mag for me. Pretty easy especially if you have the 41 barrel

How did it turn out? Is it pretty much just properly fitting an original .41 Blackhawk barrel and chambering the .357 cylinder (clearancing the loading cutout if needed)?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Actually the loading trough doesn't even need modification. Even the old model 357 mid-frames, same size as the New Vaqueros, have troughs large enough to convert them to 44 Spl., as thousands have been.

kgb

Bearcat
Even easier, then. Thank you. I compared a .45ACP Vaquero to the .357 version and the former looked to have a widened trough, generating wonder about the caliber threshold. The indexing ratchet looked to be a smaller diameter on the .45 cylinder, but it was just the machining to clear case rims that give the impression vs the unmolested construction of the .357 version.

Got the NV .357, take-off 6.5" .41 barrel and sufficient .41 Special brass, pretty far down this road...

This USFA in 41 Special just came home today. It is about the same size as the New Vaquero.
jxd7F27.jpg

SPvBJGH.jpg

RkOJQwn.jpg

YErL8ly.jpg

Okay guys, if any of you want to do a fairly low cost 41 Special or mag vaquero ON AN OLD MODEL GUN, let me know. I have an old model 357 that has been rewelded to match a Colt style top strap. Currently it is in 44 Special but a simple barrel swap and different 357 cylinder rechambered and fit and you have an OLD model 41 vaquero.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Robb Barnes said:
This USFA in 41 Special just came home today. It is about the same size as the New Vaquero.
jxd7F27.jpg

SPvBJGH.jpg

RkOJQwn.jpg

YErL8ly.jpg

Robb,

That's gorgeous, Alan's work is superb.

What's the back story on this, Alan converted a USFA SAA from its original caliber?

Is the USFA Bisley hammer base like the original Colt Bisley hammer or like a standard hammer?

I sent that to Alan in it's original configuration as a shop keeper in 45 Colt. He made a new barrel out of Douglas stock and rechambered a different USFA cylinder he had on hand. I had him return the original parts so it could be restored if a guy so chooses. The hammer is factory, USFA made some of what they called birdshead hammers for their Double Eagle model and a few others were put in other guns. I am fortunate in that the 5 USFA guns I have all have this hammer.

It does use the same main spring Jim. he gun I had Bowen convert to a light weight originally had a standard hammer but I had another USFA with the birdshead hammer and it was a simple parts swap. Want to make a 41 old model Vaquero Jim? I have two of those guns I got from Gary and you definitely have the tools and skills! :D