medium frame 41 Mg.?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chris_

Blackhawk
Sugar River said:
I may have missed something, but ......
the very nice Vaquero above is built on a 44 Mag (and therefore Large) frame?
Well, I suppose you're right, even though I believe all Vaqueros are technically a medium frame, no?

Sugar River

Buckeye
No, the original Vaqueros were all large frame, like yours, with 2 digit s/n prefixes.
Then the New Vaqueros came out with the medium frame with 3 digit prefix.
Though I believe there are exceptions to the prefix rule.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I've been studying pictures and reading everything I could find in an effort to gain insight and knowledge before embarking on this journey. Of course, somewhere along the way I picked up copies of Single Action Sixguns, Big Bore Sixguns and Book of the 44. Next came "The Custom Revolver" by Hamilton Bowen. I studied, and I studied some more.

As I pondered the seemingly endless combinations from which to choose I always came back to the same thing, my very own Perfect Packin' Pistol. Try as I might, the three 44 Specials in the safe are close, but not quite perfect. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my S&W 696 for anything. And my Flat Top Bisley is a terrific companion in the Pennsylvania deer woods. But they're not Perfect Packin' Pistols. At least, not to me.

Some time ago I started to collect parts, sometimes based on a vision, sometimes on a whim. First came the Bisley grip frames, hammers and triggers. Then I happened upon an Anniversary .357 Blackhawk. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I knew I had to have it….just in case. Things really started to take shape when I acquired an S&W M57 barrel from a member here. Then came the delivery of my Rough Country sights.

Finally, I had all of the pieces, but what to do? No more excuses. It was time go. So I packed up the parts, pointed my Harley west and headed out for LaGrange Ohio and Andy Horvath.

KgZ5p6B.jpg

I decided that a Li'l Ruger in 41 Magnum was my Perfect Packin' Pistol. I couldn't be happier with the results.

L8Arwm9.jpg

6xwBaBH.jpg

Because I was using a ribbed barrel, there was a certain amount of welding and contour work needed at the frame/barrel junction.

G0ULRZB.jpg

1n8WwJg.jpg

zPmxudf.jpg

I was a little concerned about whether the XR3-RED grip frame would mate well with my XXXL hands so I brought a set of Bisley parts with me just in case But they were not needed. The rounded aluminum plowhandle fits my hand perfectly and the reduced weight is a welcome benefit.

4vVufVT.jpg

For my eyes, the Bowen Rough Country sights are hard to beat. Very compact but with a superb sight picture.

QQGIN8p.jpg

A Super Blackhawk hammer rounds out the package, lowering the hammer spur just enough to make for a comfortable reach.

The trigger pull is a work of art, clean, crisp break with none of the typical Ruger creep.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. Now I just need to find some gunleather.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
greenmtnguy said:
Well, there is something to be said for medium frameDA revolvers in 41 and in 45 Colt, cause Charter Arms announced they are gonna make them on their 45ACP Pitbull XL frame..

Charter is going to come out with a 45 Colt & 41 Mag in the 45acp XL frame

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sugar River said:
No, the original Vaqueros were all large frame, like yours, with 2 digit s/n prefixes.
Then the New Vaqueros came out with the medium frame with 3 digit prefix.
Though I believe there are exceptions to the prefix rule.

The exception to the prefix rule, isn't an exception and actually follows the rule:

All "New Vaqueros" do not have a 3 digit prefix; only the mid frames.
The "New Vaqueros" with a 2 digit prefix are the large frame "New Vaqueros" in 44 Mag.

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer

Home brew mid frame 41 magnum. I did all the work myself except for reaming the cylinder. Handy little revolver.

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Bravo! Life's too short to wait, especially for something that's unlikely to ever happen.

Thank you Sir! I agree with you. Ruger will never produce mid framed 41's. Too niche of a cartridge. I see them producing a 40 cal before the 41 Mag.

Latest posts