Fixing Sixguns that Lead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
If any of you are having issue's with under size throats in your Ruger single actions & don't want to wait 2-4 months to get your cylinder back get in touch with Fermin Garza (2 Dogs) for a fast & accurate turn around. For those of you who don't know him he's a former LEO in Texas. His reputation nation wide in the six gun community is as good as it gets.
I've known Fermin for 10 years now & one thing I can promise you, he knows a whole lot more about guns than he's telling you. He went to gunsmithing school at Colorado School of Trades, the same school my son went to & he's very good at what he does. A little known secret is that when some of the top pistol smiths get behind Fermin jumps in & helps them out, they trust him & his work because he's that good. His prices are way more than fair & his turn around time is as good as it gets, plus he just flat loves sixguns! One last thing, I've never met a more honest person, nough said! I posted this in the Gunsmithing section, thought I better get it moved over here!

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
While I haven't had the need of his services,,, yet,,, I'd NOT hesitate to use him if I need them. I haven't ever met Fermin,, but I have exchanged some emails & all. But on sixshot's word alone, I'd trust him. (But, I admit to having seen some pics of some of his excellent work,,,,,,,,! )

2 dogs

Buckeye
1. Ok, so I did a 32 H&R cylinder for a client yesterday. It was interesting because every one of his throats measured .311". So, I was able to measure it in a short period of time as well as cut all 6 throats with the same pilot set up on the reamer. Total 40 bucks. Not saying that will happen every time but still.

2. Hittman has an interesting issue. The question is, are his .30 carbine throats so undersized the backpressue is causing sticky extraction? Will keep you .30 Carbine guys in the loop.

Or, even better, any Ruger 30 Carbine shooters have sticky extraction go away AFTER correcting undersized cylinder throats???

hittman

Staff member
Thank you 2 dogs! I'll get the cylinder in the mail to you in a day or two along with a couple of the bullets.

RugerHounddog

Bearcat
Just got my .32mag cylinder back today. Shipping, reaming and return shipping all in one week. How is that for fast service?
Great job and great price. Thanks Fermin.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Ok, I measured Hittman's 30 Carbine cylinder that was giving him sticky extraction and the throats measured .3095" plus!

His jacketed bullets measured .3075" plus.

So we know his throats are not the issue. We are looking at the ammunition and the chambers themselves. The chambers do have some machine marks and a couple of rust spots. Nothing we can't take care of easily.

So, once again, if you area new reloader, every revolver comes with a case gauge. It is your cylinder. You need to pull your cylinder and be sure your reloads fit properly before you load a buckful of ammo that wont work. This is very important with revolvers that have tight tolerances.

Thanks guys.

IraIII

Bearcat
As all the previous posters have said you can trust 2 dogs. He is a gentleman with extensive knowledge, and personal integrity. We did a trade long ago with some TC contenders and a Les Baer. I will be sending my cylinder from my 45 colt Redhawk to him soon.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Thanks Ira, I will get you squared away.

If you guys keep this up, I might even get my tooling paid for!

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
2 dogs what do you finish the throats with after reaming? Do you send them out as-reamed? Do you polish them? Re-blue the throats? Curious.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Fermin is a good guy, we had talked in the past about a GP100 problem and he was very helpful ! If I need a cylinder done he is who I will send it to.

2 dogs

Buckeye
DougGuy said:
2 dogs what do you finish the throats with after reaming? Do you send them out as-reamed? Do you polish them? Re-blue the throats? Curious.

Hi again DougGuy. I first apologized to you, and then I answered your question over on the CB forum but it seems the mods deleted the thread before you got to see it. You see, I didn't realize you were over there until you asked me that question. At that time I looked at your link and realized you already had the guys on the CB forum well taken care of and the CB guys wouldn't be needing my help. Your work is stunning and the quality and care taken is quite obvious. Also, the tooling required is expensive and I know what it takes to recover these costs. Thus, I apologized for my intrusion and expressed my intention to back away. I further went to my original post and in all caps asked the CB members to ignore my post and referred them to your link which I also added to my original post. When I looked again, it all disappeared.

To answer your question, I can pretty much do anything a customer wants. For the most part, as reamed is working just fine. I own a considerable number of sixguns, many of which have "naked" throats, live off the Gulf Coast of Texas, where everything rusts, and do not have any issues. I am close to some of the very finest sixgunsmiths in the US who do not feel further refinement of the cylinder throats after reaming is necessary. However, I would be happy to refine the finish further if a client so desired. Some of my sixgunsmith connections blue all the time. So if someone does want their cylinder blued, it is a simple matter to send it off for a salt bath. As a matter of fact, I have a .30 Carbine Ruger cylinder going out this week. That said, your work is nothing short of beautiful and it would be a disservice to not recognize it as such and to point that out to our fellow forum members who might need your services.

2 dogs

Buckeye
2 dogs said:
Ok, I measured Hittman's 30 Carbine cylinder that was giving him sticky extraction and the throats measured .3095" plus!

His jacketed bullets measured .3075" plus.

So we know his throats are not the issue. We are looking at the ammunition and the chambers themselves. The chambers do have some machine marks and a couple of rust spots. Nothing we can't take care of easily.

So, once again, if you area new reloader, every revolver comes with a case gauge. It is your cylinder. You need to pull your cylinder and be sure your reloads fit properly before you load a buckful of ammo that wont work. This is very important with revolvers that have tight tolerances.

Thanks guys.

Ok, I got Hittmans chambers polished and sent his cylinder out to be blued. It's one thing to leave the throats naked and something else entirely to leave chambers in the white. Our main problem is we can't be sure if the stickiness of the fired cases is due to the handloads (he has a man who handloads his ammo) or for the fact the chambers needed a bit of love. At any rate, the chambers look much smoother and will soon be blued. I spoke with The Hittman and mentioned his handloader guy should have the cylinder to be sure the cases were a slip fit when resized and gave him a few other pointers. So in a week or two we should have an update. Thanks Mike!

hittman

Staff member
Thank you 2 dogs!

This is my first experience sending out a gun or gun part to someone. You made it a very smooth, logical, easy to understand process. Very reasonably priced too. I learned a great deal from you and I appreciate that.

Since I'm out of my realm of expertise I asked 2 dogs a simple question. "What would you do if this were your personal 30 Carbine?"

He gave me an answer and I went with that. Pretty simple.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Had 2Dogs take care of a .32 Single Six cylinder for me about six weeks ago. It's soo good now. When I'd slugged it the slugs miced (not with a dial caliper, but with both a Starret and a Swiss micrometer) .311. When 2Dogs told me it was done and the sizes the pin guages reflected I was really amazed the slugs were springing back almost .003. He was fast, and it shoots so much better, plus, I know how much he loves revolvers and helping him with his habit just feels right :)!

2 dogs

Buckeye
M'BOGO said:
Had 2Dogs take care of a .32 Single Six cylinder for me about six weeks ago. It's soo good now. When I'd slugged it the slugs miced (not with a dial caliper, but with both a Starret and a Swiss micrometer) .311. When 2Dogs told me it was done and the sizes the pin guages reflected I was really amazed the slugs were springing back almost .003. He was fast, and it shoots so much better, plus, I know how much he loves revolvers and helping him with his habit just feels right :)!

Call on me anytime. I kick a real kick out getting a guy to where he is plumb accurate like Davy Crockett!!