"Vintage" 1911's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
My only 1911 is a Ruger. I generally don't buy new guns and have very few semi-auto's. But, if I was wanting to expand my accumulation a bit with a WW2 vintage 1911 ..... what advice would you give?

Is there a particular brand name to consider or avoid?
Would all older 1911s be either 45 ACP or 38 Super caliber?
What reference books or internet links can help me date these?
Who is the "go-to" resource for values?

I'd be looking for a shooter grade I can take to the range and actually USE. Not interested in a collector or new-in-box piece.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
hittman said:
But, if I was wanting to expand my accumulation a bit with a
WW2 vintage 1911 ..... what advice would you give?
IMO . . . . .

I'd stay away from WW-II guns. The people that have them tend to think
they are worth as much, or more, than current production offerings.
In addition, current production have . . . far . . . better sights, beaver tail
grip safeties, and a choice of series 70 or series 80 (I prefer series 70).

A relatively inexpensive one is the Desert Eagle 1911G (or C if you want
the smaller size). I have one I got several years ago and, with the
possible exception of the billboard on the side, is an excellent candidate.
Buds has them for $685, or right about the same as a Ruger SR1911.

At today's prices, I would stay away from those in the $400 range
because an extra $100 will buy a perceptible increase in quality, and
$200 more will get you good quality.

One other thought . . . WHY would someone that has a WW-II vintage
that is in good condition . . . want to sell it? YES, there are good values
in used guns, but FAR more of the 1911s on the used market are there
because most would not care for them.

:D YMMV :D

H Richard

Bearcat
Original 1911's from the U S Government, "If all Original", have collector value, depending on condition. If you want a gun to shoot, don't buy a collectable 1911. You have one of the better shooting 1911's now with the Ruger. If you want a "collectable" 1911 I would recommend earlier, WW1 guns or Pristine WWII guns. The website http://1911ssc.com/ you will find more information about 1911's than you might need. If you want a "collectable" one, be prepared to have deep pockets, as good ones do command big prices.

All U.S. military 1911's were .45 acp. Several foreign governments have issued 1911's in 38 Super.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm a big fan of both the 1911A-1 and the original 1911.
Colt, Remington Rand, Ithica, military or commercial...it don't matter to me, they are all good. Pricey guns though...probably too much so these days.
If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Argentine M1927 Systema Colt because IMNSHO, that one combines the best features of the 1911 and the 1911A-1. Plus, it's every bit as good of a gun as it's American counterparts and (usually) priced cheaper to boot.

I'm assuming that if you want a "WWII vintage 1911", you already know what they are and what they are not, so there's no use in me going into details on that.
About the only caution I'd offer is to avoid any ex-military gun that is advertised as being "all correct" and/or "all matching parts". Reason is, there's dern few of 'em which wasn't rebuilt at least once during it's service life, and most more than once. The point there being that there's a more than good chance that most of the "correct, all matching" examples you do run into are the result of some guy switching parts around on his kitchen table to make a fast buck. I've seen a lot of that with not only 1911's, but Garand's and M1-Carbines too...and often with less than stellar, if not down-right dangerous results, so be careful in that regard.

And yeah, most of 'em are 45ACP guns. You might run upon a 38-Super once in a blue moon but they are always priced accordingly..$$$$!.

Hope this helped.

DGW

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Start at Camp Perry if you want to find authenticity. Plenty of historical guns FS there, and even more historic personalities.

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
My only 1911 is a Ruger. I generally don't buy new guns and have very few semi-auto's. But, if I was wanting to expand my accumulation a bit with a WW2 vintage 1911 ..... what advice would you give?

Is there a particular brand name to consider or avoid?
Would all older 1911s be either 45 ACP or 38 Super caliber?
What reference books or internet links can help me date these?
Who is the "go-to" resource for values?

I'd be looking for a shooter grade I can take to the range and actually USE. Not interested in a collector or new-in-box piece.

Another word for 'vintage' is usually 'junk'.

If you want a better 1911 as a shooter, get a Range Officer or Gold Cup and get real performance for 1/3 the price of WW2 junk ! :D

Other than nostalgia, those WW2 guns were garbage.

REV

hittman

Staff member
Thanks for all the excellent info. My definition of vintage, at least in this case, is "old".

The more I read, the more I think this is not for me. Just not interested enough to spend countless hours studying all the possible scenarios and this is not a "project" I'm willing to throw $1,000 or more at.

I'll stick with my SR1911 that works just dandy and I know what I own in it.

Thanks again.

gunzo

Buckeye
For vintage style at a shooter price the Springfield Armory mil spec is worth a look.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Pat-inCO said:
A relatively inexpensive one is the Desert Eagle 1911G (or C if you want
the smaller size). I have one I got several years ago and, with the
possible exception of the billboard on the side, is an excellent candidate.
Buds has them for $685, or right about the same as a Ruger SR1911...
Coincidentally, I'm looking at a DE1911C, locally. And they have an SR1911, seen in background. The trigger feel in both was better than the Colt 1991A1 Compact I just sold. (Series 80 vs. Series 70)
Overall, Id have to say the Desert Eagle 1911 C. was a notch above the Ruger. (I really like the commander size, as well!)
2vafw1s.jpg

A bunch of years ago I bought a Remington-Rand 1911 for $150. It had been polished and blued, and if you looked closely you could just see a hint of rifling grooves in the barrel. Surprisingly, it shot pretty well at fifty feet, and that was all that mattered to me. I traded a pair of "target grips" for another barrel that actually had discernible rifling in it, and that may have improved its accuracy a little. The serial number puts it pretty close to my birthday in 1943, so I figure this was meant to be. My sons and grandsons have shot the old bugger, and think it's just great fun. It'll never be a Match Pistol, but I'll never be a Match Shooter so meh. I have a Series 70 that's like new and shoots way better, but the old-timer is the one I shoot when I feel like communing with John M. Browning.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Mike, good question, and there is LOTS and lots to learn and know as to "vintage" 1911, the later 1911A1 and all the clones, as noted above, the Springfield, Rock Island , add the older Norinco and there are many "mil spec guns to be found.....Armscorp. in the Phillipines is making these guns for about everyone out there, and most are very affordable for shooters....you can always get "kits" part kits, any and all the basic mil spec GI parts at many gun shows or on line..........
as for original military issue of either the 1911 (WWI )the the later 1911 A1 improoved version there are many books written on them all the variations, and the re makes ( arsenal reworks) for later military use, issue for WW II< Korea, and even Vietnam...heck my neighbor was issued a WWII Singer Sewing machine built for WWII< was arsenal reworked refitted, refinished in parkerized , was in the the previous two combats and he gets it in Vietnam in early 1970....talk about a "find" ( oh yeah, he "lost" it and they docked his pay $25.... 8)
but the ting is one has to really KNOW, do their homework on these military issue guns as there are so many "fakes" redos, parts guns, and on and on...I see the "Junk" at about any given gun show, but I've seen, had, bought ,sold MANY that came home from some combat with Dads, ,Uncles, family of whomever,over the years...yes they are STILL out there, they made so many of them....and the "best" correct ones will get the top dollar...I used to buy them at Camp Perry, and through the NRA back in the 60's for $17.50 each... :roll:
........and I have gotten up to $3000 for a proper one for various estates ,family sales....you need to know or find out MORE, contact me or even 'Splitz' he knows them as good as I do , maybe a bit better, as he stays with them and has collected them for so many years.I never kept any except my 1967 Gold Cup, which shoots ONE hole groups and I 'retired' it, and got one of the SR1911's when they first came out for under $600 it is a beauty.....I don't need ( or want) to have them all........... :wink:

dakota1911

Buckeye
Colt's new MkIV Series 70 is not real cheap but a nice pistol. I bought a SS one in 2013 since they never made the originals in SS. And I did put some aftermarket grips from Nutmeg on mine. These new ones have better sights than the originals and of course no collet or finger barrel bushing.

hittman, see they are still out there, this one came to me this past week, one of the DCM, NRA sale guns from the mid 60's, this is a 6 digit 1911 made in 1915 and was an "AA"arsenal rebuilt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A6cSSfJl.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Jackpot rugerguy!

Man oh man this is THE place to go for info ..... no doubt about that!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
My checkbook suffered heavily under my first type 03 FFL "C&R". Once the first half-dozen milsurps arrived at my front door, everything changed...

yes, wish we had bought a few MORE , and KEPT them from back in those days, they were CHEAP.......
but they are still out there, as I had an Air Force Premium Grade made 1966 still wrapped in the foil and like a fool we sold it,oh well.....I only kept my 1967 Colt National Match, cannot improve on a gun that shoots one hole groups, ,only wish I still could...... 8) :roll: :wink:

bigbill

Single-Sixer
I refuse to pay for a orginal 1911/1911a1 because our parents paid for these with taxpayers dollars decades ago. Plus there way over priced.

The closest thing to a surplus 1911 as I'll ever get is the Auto-Ordnance Army ww2 copy. It's the closest clone on the market. It's a awesome 1911a1.

Latest posts