44 Special Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Lburgau303 said:
Lee, just started following your thread. First let me say I have always been a huge fan of .44 spl. I like a big chunk of lead moving at moderate fps producing manageable recoil and lower levels of muzzle flash and lesser chances of over penitration. I also prefer to fill a casing with power rather than having it slosh around willy nilly. Good luck.
I have need of a part being machined for a High Standard darranger. Would you be interested in the job or can you refer someone.
This next question is for you or anyone that might be in the group.
I'm hot for a .45LC/ACP convertible Black Hawk, and have read a lot about accuracy issues due to inconsistency issues with cylinder and throat. Might you know if Ruger has addressed this issue or does one need to still have accuracy issues addressed with brand new guns?

NO personal experience, but I talked to a fellow who has one & he said it's very accurate with both cylinders.

Apples

Bearcat
Hey, Lee, I know this is an older thread but I just read through the whole thing.

I'm new here and wanted to post my thanks for taking the time! amidst the endless setup, metal shavings and lo0b flying everywhere to wipe off your hands to take as many great photographs as you have.

We've exhausted the supply of superlatives already here in this terrific thread, so I can only say, Job well done! sir. What a bitchin' pistol.

:D

Lee Martin

Hunter
Apples said:
Hey, Lee, I know this is an older thread but I just read through the whole thing.

I'm new here and wanted to post my thanks for taking the time! amidst the endless setup, metal shavings and lo0b flying everywhere to wipe off your hands to take as many great photographs as you have.

We've exhausted the supply of superlatives already here in this terrific thread, so I can only say, Job well done! sir. What a bitchin' pistol.

:D

Glad you enjoyed it. Hard to believe this thread is now 7 years old. Here's a more recent shot of the gun. I gave the hard chrome a slight polish to add a bit of shine:

44_Special_OM_4.jpg

Lburgau303

Bearcat
She's a nice piece for sure. I loaded a fair amount of .44 special and never understood it's being misunderstood by the public. I guess it was overshadowed by the hand cannons. Thanks for starting the thread.

Onty

Single-Sixer
IMHO the best bang for the buck regarding custom guns in 44 Special, is conversion of 357 BH or S&W M27. Bowen offers such conversions http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_single_action_basic_caliber_conversions.html , and Clements http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerrevolvers.html . I am confident that other custom smiths could do the same.

Also, if desired caliber is 44 magnum, 30 carbine BH is right candidate for such conversion.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

radshop

Bearcat
Lee,
Your thread is still going! I don't know if you still check it, but I just want to say thanks for posting this. Others have correctly pointed out how awesome the gun is and how entertaining & informative your posts are. In addition, I found it emotionally moving because it reminds me of my dad. He passed away in 2011 after being disable since the 1980's, but prior to that he used to build his own muzzle loading rifles from scratch. Different type of guns, but there's something about the way I see you working that just reminded me of him. (Hope that doesn't come across creepy.)

Thanks again.

Jim Sharp

Bearcat
I'm a new guy - just registered today. What an incredible intro to the forum! I wish Lee would walk us through a new project each and every month. I realize he has a job . . . just being selfish.

Thank you, Lee.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Jim Sharp said:
I wish Lee would walk us through a new project each and every month. I realize he has a job . . . just being selfish.

Jim - here's a 5-shot build I started this spring. Need to get back to it in the coming weeks; so this is still a work in progress:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=250285

Jim Sharp

Bearcat
What a treat - thank you, sir. Wonderful stuff to get lost in, and following Lee through these processes takes us into a whole world apart from our daily grind. Jim

Mania

Bearcat
very entertaining!!!!!!! Now I know who to ask when I want a custom built revolver. Nice work and good luck