Considering a .380 1911: Kimber, Colt, or Sig?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hey folks. I've decided that I want to add one of the small 1911 style .380 pistols to my arsenal. Looks like Sig, Colt, and Kimber are what I have to choose from. I know there are bigger 1911 .380's out there but I want to keep it at the size of these guns. I'm not looking for laser sights, fancy finishes, or anything like that. Just a basic black or silver 1911 from one of these three makes with standard sights. Is one superior to the others in any way? Do they have much parts interchangeability? I'm leaning towards Sig as I trust them more than the other two. Strangely enough, Kimber is the cheapest of the three. I don't want the ambidextrous safety as I am right handed and the other side of the safety is uncomfortable to me. Any experiences or opinions appreciated!

5of7

Hunter
I have a Star Model S, which is essentially a scaled down 1911. It shoots good, is reliable and a lot of fun. I do not carry it because it is similar in size to the LC9s that I have and if I am going for a gun that size, I want the advantages of the 9. It does make a nice range gun though.

For everyday Mendon carry, the LCP is my choice for that. If I am going to K-zoo or D-troit or any other larger town, the 9 goes with me. 8)

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I picked up a Kimber Micro and was underwhelmed. I love Kimbers, but
IMO they shot themselves in the foot with the micro.

Sigs are . . . . . . Sigs. Their small one in .380 is just too small for me. I
have a problem getting a good grip on it. But that's me.

Colts are not my cup of tea.

Sooooooo, out of the three, I'd go with Sig. (YMMV). :wink:

:D

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
What did you not like about the Kimber? Right now the Micro stainless
is what I am leaning towards.
The one I handled had a trigger that was comparable to an extremely
cheap (as in not worth the money) imitation, the slide movement was
poor, at best and the safety . . . well it was much like the trigger.

As I said, I love Kimbers, but not the micro. I think you could compare it
to the very early rim-fire Kimbers, for quality.

As they came out I got a Solo and my main complaint with it was the
amount of "fun" it was to shoot. Much less "fun" than the Ultra Cary in a
.45ACP. That said, it was FAR better made than the Micro. YMMV.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Well, Kimber it is. Went to the fun store today planning to ask about the stainless Kimber Micro and they had one under the glass for $500.00 so I layawayed it. The trigger on this particular example is just fine for my taste and the manual safety has a nice firm detent to engage and disengage. The owner said the Micro series has gotten very popular and he sold another one just before I arrived. I still find it amusing that Kimber was the least expensive choice here. Sig would be my preference but it doesn't come without night sights and so costs a lot more. With Colt of course you pay extra for those pretty pony medallions and the front sight is integral to the slide, meaning that it requires mill work if you want to replace it.

I'm surprised at how small these .380 1911's are. The Micro is about the same size as the Ruger LCP II in th case next to it. The Micro grip is slightly longer, the LCP II slide is slightly longer, both are about the same thickness. The Micro slid down into my pocket almost as easily as the standard LCP does, certainly easier than my Glock 42 or S&W 637 do. Looking forward to bailing it out!

P.S. If there was a comparable Sig 238 under the glass for, say, $550.00 or less I probably would have gone with that instead. Still, the Micro seems like a nice gun.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hopefully so. From what I have read most of the problems with this gun vanished with an updated recoil spring from Kimber or the Wolff 12 pound Colt Mustang spring. In any event, my local dealer stands behind every gun he sells 100%. He will make it right even if the factory won't.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
He will make it right even if the factory won't.
I doubt you would have a problem with that. If you . . . ask . . . the
service rep about your issue (if you have any) they get very easy
to deal with. The problems most had in the 90's were from TELLING
them how to fix things. :wink:

:D

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I bailed out the Micro yesterday. Also picked up a couple of extra mags for it, glad to see they are very reasonably priced at $21.95 each at the fun store. Hopefully I can shoot it soon, all my reloading stuff and ammo is still in moving boxes.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The sun came out today and I was able to take a break from unpacking to test drive the little Kimber. Distance was 18 feet, ammo was some cheapo Maxxtech FMJ (Combloc production, fairly accurate but dirty). I'm pleased to announce it did not disappoint. Function with this dirty ammo was 100% and within a few mags the Micro was shooting almost as well as my Glock 42. I tried a couple mags of Remington FMJ and accuracy was about the same but ejection and recoil were stronger with a small fireball coming out of the muzzle.

The only thing I might change is to go with a solid black rear sight was this would match my Glock 42, which has an OEM white dot front and Ameriglo flat black rear. So far very pleased with this little pistol and look forward to trying my reloads in it.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Shot the little Kimber some more last weekend, it's still spitting out empties 100%. I bought a solid black rear sight for it from Fleabay. The two dots on the original rear are distracting to my eyes. I also bought some Duragrips for it as the pretty wood grips are going to get scuffed up from pocket carry.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The new/used sights showed up yesterday, installed them last night. The dovetails are super tight, the new/used sights required a fair amount of filing to go on. That accomplished, the front dot looks really conspicuous against the plain black rear which I what I like.

Also discovered that the firing pin safety spring is housed under the sight (never had a 1911 before), so I used the opportunity to learn how to disassemble the slide. It is as easy to do as a Glock. Push the firing pin inward with a small punch, which allows the rear cover plate to slide down. Then, the extractor and firing pin can be pulled out from the rear. Then, the firing pin safety and spring will fall out the bottom. Reassembly is simply the reverse. On my pistol, the bottom of the rear cover plate has a bevel where it contacts the hammer, this side should be facing towards the rear.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Pocket carry is my usual mode for the Micro and I bought a Desantis Nemesis with it. The Nemesis listed for the Mustang/Micro/P238 is a rather snug fit and seems print a little more than I like. I tried the Nemesis I use for my Glock 42 and it is a perfect fit. It covers more of the gun and stays upright in the pocket better.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Had my first ever malfunction with the Micro last weekend. I was shooting some lead bullet reloads and an empty case wedged itself between the inside of the slide and the next round in the mag. I also had two instances in which the mag seemed to release itself after the last round was fired. Unless this was just a fluke I'm thinking I might have a bad mag here. I marked this mag and next range session I will try a different one with the same ammo to see if it happens again. Otherwise the Micro is still doing great and lots of fun to shoot.

Granpooba

Bearcat
Kimber's quality control has taken a dump !

Surprised nobody is bringing Springfield Armory into the picture. Think folks should be looking at their 9mm Range Officer. Am and always have been a .45 guy. But am greatly impressed with the RO !

Have had them all and still have a sore butt for selling my Colt Gold Cups and last week was lucky to handle just about all of them, but for a 1911 under one thousand bucks,I know Springfield is on my short list.

Latest posts