Ruger AR-556 Barrel Coating/Lining/Protection?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Long before I decided about buying an AR-556, I did research on what the barrel was protected/lined/coated with, being it wasn't chrome lined. I was getting all kinds of answers, but, a lot of "I DON'T KNOW" replies. So, I called Ruger. They stated it was lined/protected by a finish similar to Melonite (TIN-Titanium Nitriding).
Well, just recently my cousin bought a new AR-556 that had some "rough scratches" in the barrels finish after he un-boxed it. He called Ruger, sent them pics, and they had him ship it back to them. He received it back yesterday with a letter stating the barrel was replaced with the "NEW UPDATED LINED" barrel. So, before I call Ruger asking them Q?'s again about their barrels, does anyone know ANYTHING about this "NEW" lining Ruger is using?

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Thinking the only lined barrels they had were on the more expensive SR-556 models that have the gas piston operating system. Even the cheaper (budget) versions of those were unlined.

The ones that were lined had a hard chrome chamber and barrel.

Current website on the AR-556 says nothing about a plated barrel ID or chamber.

Now the SR-556 take down and the SR-762 both say about the barrel:

"Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged Mil-Spec 41V45 chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity." This is from the SR-556

"Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged 7120 alloy steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity." from SR-762

The SR-556 300 AAC Blackout barrel is Nitrided: "R-556 Takedown cold hammer-forged barrel chambered in 300 AAC Blackout. Nitrided finish. 1:7 Twist Rate.

So don't think your AR-556 barrel has any kind of plating or internal protective finish. Think whoever you talked to was confused and was talking about the 300 Blackout accessory barrel, which won't fit your AR-556.

Be interesting to see what they tell you, as it has not made it to their website yet!

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
No, but glad you posted. I will be curious now if mine has the newer lined barrel. I will keep watch on this thread. When you find out from Ruger please update us.
Thanks

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
steelshooterco said:
Thinking the only lined barrels they had were on the more expensive SR-556 models that have the gas piston operating system. Even the cheaper (budget) versions of those were unlined.

The ones that were lined had a hard chrome chamber and barrel.

Current website on the AR-556 says nothing about a plated barrel ID or chamber.

Now the SR-556 take down and the SR-762 both say about the barrel:

"Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged Mil-Spec 41V45 chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity." This is from the SR-556

"Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged 7120 alloy steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity." from SR-762

The SR-556 300 AAC Blackout barrel is Nitrided: "R-556 Takedown cold hammer-forged barrel chambered in 300 AAC Blackout. Nitrided finish. 1:7 Twist Rate.

So don't think your AR-556 barrel has any kind of plating or internal protective finish. Think whoever you talked to was confused and was talking about the 300 Blackout accessory barrel, which won't fit your AR-556.

Be interesting to see what they tell you, as it has not made it to their website yet!
When I contacted Ruger back in July 2016, the operator, or, desk clerk that answered the phone put me through to the "TECH DEPT." The gentleman I spoke to was an engineer by the name of Ed (yes, I do keep notes). He stated that the "RUGER AR-556 AR-15's" barrel is lined with a coating similar to MELONITE.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I think the posts are confusing plating on the lands & grooves with finishing on the exterior/OD of the barrel.

Chrome plating the bore gives protection with cheap foreign ammo, which was a must when corrosive ammo/primers might be encountered. It is not like the chrome plating on your Caddy bumper.
The "melonite" mentioned is a nitrocarburizing process, applying an iron nitride layer to reduce friction and therefore wear.

I'd press the engineer in question for s/n range specifics, as I know some mid-run changes in specifications have happened. I wouldn't rely on ad copy.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
I think the posts are confusing plating on the lands & grooves with finishing on the exterior/OD of the barrel.

Chrome plating the bore gives protection with cheap foreign ammo, which was a must when corrosive ammo/primers might be encountered. It is not like the chrome plating on your Caddy bumper.
The "melonite" mentioned is a nitrocarburizing process, applying an iron nitride layer to reduce friction and therefore wear.

I'd press the engineer in question for s/n range specifics, as I know some mid-run changes in specifications have happened. I wouldn't rely on ad copy.
When I called, I asked the tech this specific Q?; The barrel on the Ruger AR-556, WHAT IS THE BORE TREATED/LINED/COATED WITH FOR PROTECTION, BEING IT'S NOT CHROME LINED?
Answer; Something similar to a MELONITE process.
I can ONLY repeat what Ruger dude told me.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I don't doubt it, Ruger has surprised me before.

Most makers use Melonite (DLC or vapor-deposition) on the exterior like SIG and Glock, using a proprietary name like "Tenifer" or such. Whatev, as long as there is a controlled process it is better than spray-n-bake paint.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:

Most makers use Melonite (DLC or vapor-deposition) on the exterior like SIG and Glock, using a proprietary name like "Tenifer" or such. Whatev, as long as there is a controlled process it is better than spray-n-bake paint.
Their advertisement states "black oxide finish".......Seriously?

Rob72

Bearcat
mohavesam said:

Melonite finishes are external and internal, as no electrode is needed for deposition. IIRC, Tenifer uses arsenic in processing. Melonite is EPA-friendly. No similarity, at all, in application to Lauer's Dura-Coat, Ceracoat, etc..

modrifle3

Buckeye
As several have stated, Tenifer was a metal treatment, not a finish. Although it produces a color, a finish was applied after the treatment. This is why older glocks don't rust no matter how much of the finish comes off. You can't remove the treatment.

Melonite, which is a similar process and Tenifer was just Glocks name for their process, are both surface hardening treatments that result in corrosion resistance by sealing the metal. Rugers AR556, Glock, XD Barrels etc get the unique color from this. You can apply a finish after, but don't need to unless it is to shiny. Most chromoly barrels treated like this have a brighter almost see thru black finish.

Its between 800 to 1500 HV on the Vickers scale and very slick. Can't say it is or isn't better than Chrome, but to my knowledge it doesn't require the same removal of material and building back up material with the chrome, as with chrome lining. Average AR user will see zero difference between the 2. Chrome lining was specified my the military to aid in cycling when dirty.

The industry trend is Melonite for budget guns because it is cheaper. Military keeps chrome because it is decades proven and frankly would offer no advantage to change it.

Latest posts