Question about Hogue grips for GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Are the Hogue grips that come on the Super Redhawk, the ones with no bump on the backstrap, smaller than the Hogue grips that come on the current, plain Jane, GP100s?

Does anyone have a pic of a short-barreled GP100 with the Super Redhawk Hogue grips?

I'd like to see what they look like, in addition to hearing how they handle, but knowing Hogue, and the fact they come on the harder-kicking SRH, I'm pretty sure they'll perform fine.

Thanks in advance

Hogue makes a tamer grip(below) that looks a little more compact than the monogrip I have on my Match Champion, fits my hand perfectly and feels great...but everyone's preferences are different.
Tamer
1493939023.800x800.jpg

Monogrip
433799782.800x800.jpg

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. That's the one, the one on top. They look roughly the same size. Guess it would be nice to see this Tamer grip next to the one on the Redhawk on the bottom.

Damn that Redhawk looks good!

Cheers

ETA, I haven't even received the revolver and I'm already thinking about swapping the grips...it's a sickness, I tell you! :D

s4s4u

Hunter
The monogrip is slimmer than the Tamer, and has a sharper "feel" to it. I swapped the mono for a tamer on my GP as I prefer the feel of it in the hand.

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Ok, what I'd like to see is the Tamer on a GP100. I think the rubber Monogrip is what comes on it. From the pics above, it's looks as if they're about the same size, though.

I never get tired of seeing pics of nice revolvers, though.

Thanks

s4s4u

Hunter
MG-70 said:
Ok, what I'd like to see is the Tamer on a GP100. I think the rubber Monogrip is what comes on it. From the pics above, it's looks as if they're about the same size, though.

I never get tired of seeing pics of nice revolvers, though.

Thanks

You asked ;-)

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Thanks! I happen to think it looks better than the Monogrip. Since you say the Monogrip feels slimmer, I'll assume the Tamer has greater girth or thickness. Would you say the height (if you stand it up on the lowest part of the backstrap) of the grips is about the same?

I really like how your revolver looks.

glockman99

Single-Sixer
I have tried the following grips on my 6" GP100: Pachmayr Gripper rubber grip, Uncle Mike's rubber grip, the (non-Tamer) Hogue rubber grip, and the stock Ruger rubber/wood grip...This is the one that my GP100 wears:

s4s4u

Hunter
MG-70 said:
Thanks! I happen to think it looks better than the Monogrip. Since you say the Monogrip feels slimmer, I'll assume the Tamer has greater girth or thickness. Would you say the height (if you stand it up on the lowest part of the backstrap) of the grips is about the same?

I also think it looks better than the mono, and if anything it is a smidge shorter from base of grip to topstrap as the mono has that little horn sticking out the back. It does have more girth and fills the hand better than the mono, but not too much as I find it perfect for my medium sized hands.

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Thanks Guys! I think I'm going to try to remove the hump and a bit off the bottom of the Monogrips it comes with, and if that doesn't work, try something else. In the past I have used both sizes of factory grips with inserts, Pachmayrs (can't recall model), and Hogues, and the best combination of looks and function were the large factory with inserts, and the best overall fit (to my hand) were the Hogue Monogrips, although I've always found them a bit too long (maybe it has to do with the fastener on the bottom; I've never tried modifying them).

Glockman99, I have seen and appreciated that pic before. I really like what you've done to it, and to me it seems you took some material off the underside of hammer, in addition to rounding it's edges, though you don't cite it as one of the modifications.

So, what are the tricks to removing material from Hogue rubber grips using a Dremel, without making a mess? What grit sanding disc, and what speed? I have read online that freezing them first makes it easier (don't know if they freeze, but putting them in the freezer overnight).

Thanks again!

ETA. s4s4u, thanks for the clarification on the size of the Hogue Tamer!

glockman99

Single-Sixer
MG-70 said:
...Glockman99, I have seen and appreciated that pic before. I really like what you've done to it, and to me it seems you took some material off the underside of hammer, in addition to rounding it's edges, though you don't cite it as one of the modifications.
Yes, I did remove some material from the underside of the hammer, I did address that slight mod in a more current photo of my GP100. I like the way it looks.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
MG-70 said:
Thanks Guys! I think I'm going to try to remove the hump and a bit off the bottom of the Monogrips it comes with, and if that doesn't work, try something else. In the past I have used both sizes of factory grips with inserts, Pachmayrs (can't recall model), and Hogues, and the best combination of looks and function were the large factory with inserts, and the best overall fit (to my hand) were the Hogue Monogrips, although I've always found them a bit too long (maybe it has to do with the fastener on the bottom; I've never tried modifying them)

So, what are the tricks to removing material from Hogue rubber grips using a Dremel, without making a mess? What grit sanding disc, and what speed? I have read online that freezing them first makes it easier (don't know if they freeze, but putting them in the freezer overnight).

If you're going to go the dremel route, it might be advisable to consider the Hogue Nylon monogrip as alternative to the rubber ones. The nylon grip is a hard, solid, glass-impregnated mold that can be carved and shaped like wood, whereas the rubber monogrip has a plastic shaft with a thin layer of rubber molded over it.

Here is an example of someone who reshaped their nylon monogrip:

60572890_535248_full.jpg

Latest posts